+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Match ratings Vs Colchester

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Today was definitely a tough day. There is clearly a lot of work to be done. Anyone who thinks that professional footballers can just rock up and know what each of there team mates will do is nuts, that clearly can only be achieved by playing games. Pre-season in hindsight has been pointless, playing 3 teams who are above us in League status and ability was good for fitness, and that is about it. It did little to help the lads ‘gel’ in an attacking sense. I was one that said the results didn’t matter, but in future it is worth looking at playing teams that we can be competitive with, top end of conference and bottom end of League 1.
    In terms of today.
    Totally agree with this. We gain nothing by playing against "pub" teams and cannot hope to compete and learn against superior teams who won't give the ball away.
    Vaughan looked a class player for the first half-hour, passing the ball ON THE FLOOR! Then knackeredness crept in.
    For what seems like every game now I see a loose ball flying to an opposing player who receives it on his chest and controls it but yesterday, as what seems like usual, a ball like that which went to a Notts midfielder or defender was not controlled but headed straight back into the mix for someone else to try and then 50/50 won or lost. Training sessions should be concentrating on this as it's from these little acorns that attacking oaks do grow.
    Jones seemed to be the weak link. Often out of position but available to receive a pass he then sprints towards the corner with it presumably to cross it into the box. This movement, I can only guess, is part of Nolly's tactics in attack but is soon countered when defenders see the same tall player, the one with the funny blond hairdo, take the ball and run.
    I can only hope that after each game Nolly, with each player, goes through what is expected of him. If, as I said before, we had been playing against more realistic teams pre-season we could have ironed out these creases before the serious competition started. We are now learning as we play instead of having learnt before when there were no points to be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Totally agree with this. We gain nothing by playing against "pub" teams and cannot hope to compete and learn against superior teams who won't give the ball away.
    Vaughan looked a class player for the first half-hour, passing the ball ON THE FLOOR! Then knackeredness crept in.
    For what seems like every game now I see a loose ball flying to an opposing player who receives it on his chest and controls it but yesterday, as what seems like usual, a ball like that which went to a Notts midfielder or defender was not controlled but headed straight back into the mix for someone else to try and then 50/50 won or lost. Training sessions should be concentrating on this as it's from these little acorns that attacking oaks do grow.
    Jones seemed to be the weak link. Often out of position but available to receive a pass he then sprints towards the corner with it presumably to cross it into the box. This movement, I can only guess, is part of Nolly's tactics in attack but is soon countered when defenders see the same tall player, the one with the funny blond hairdo, take the ball and run.
    I can only hope that after each game Nolly, with each player, goes through what is expected of him. If, as I said before, we had been playing against more realistic teams pre-season we could have ironed out these creases before the serious competition started. We are now learning as we play instead of having learnt before when there were no points to be lost.
    I’m seriously concerned that Nolo doesn’t know how to set up for a passing attcking style of play. Colchester were very well organised and did exactly what was expected of them, making it difficult for Notts to play the ball forward on the ground. This resulted in just about every pass going sideways or backwards and those attempted forward passes were easily cut out. Out of desperation we then relied on passing the ball back to Duffy to try and lump into the box which was just ridiculous considering the difference in size between our forwards and their CB’s.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Getting back to people changing their usernames, well I think I might have to change mine soon. My lad who reads this board asked me the other day if I was navypie. What makes you think I'm that idiot son? Don't think he bought it.

Right ,Mrs Navy is getting annoyed with me now , not only does she expect me to do all the packing she now expects me to load the suitcases into the car! We don't fly until this afternoon woman and I haven't even tied the dog to a lamppost on Mapperley top yet. THAT WAS A JOKE !

Big fat elite pie as a ring to it.
    I never knew Ingoldmells had an airport.

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    So you've managed to argue the point whilst also agreeing with it? Well done, you're nothing if not predictable.
    Ok maybe Einstein is required here... You said his distribution was good, I argued it wasn't and gave examples including a clanger that almost cost us a goal. You asked why his kick was blocked, I said why and alluded to it being his fault, I argued for my point, where did i agree with anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    I’m seriously concerned that Nolo doesn’t know how to set up for a passing attcking style of play.
    At this stage, I'm not seriously concerned about anything. As a Notts County fan I know when the time comes to be seriously concerned, and trust me, this ain't it! I'm at the relaxed and open-minded stage at present!

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Ok maybe Einstein is required here... You said his distribution was good, I argued it wasn't and gave examples including a clanger that almost cost us a goal. You asked why his kick was blocked, I said why and alluded to it being his fault, I argued for my point, where did i agree with anything else?
    Nowhere did I say his distribution was good, just that it was better than Collin's.

Fitz - 6 - a clean sheet but he just doesn't inspire confidence in me.

Tootle - 5.5 - a bit sub standard, offered little going forward.
    Duffy - 6.5* - positionally good, didn't do much wrong.
    Brisley - 6.5 - generally defended well.
    Jones - 5.5 - as usual, looked better in their half than when defending.

Enzio - 6 - the odd bright moment but his touch let him down.
    Thomas - 6 - good in parts, but his corners were awful.
    Vaughan 6.5 - kept possession well, nothing incisive though.
    Hewitt - 6 - average.

Stead - 5.5 - never offered much threat despite the poor service.
    Hemmings - 5 - pretty anonymous. He is better than this.

Subs:

Alessandra - 5 - didn't do much in the time he was on.
    Dennis - 5.5 - missed our best chance, but at least got in the right position.
    Hawkridge - N/A

I think this best sums up the performances on Saturday but I would have to rate both full backs 5 at best....as the game wore on it was obvious that the 2 wingers were the ones to make it happen but the service was so poor/non-existent....although Enzio was marked by at least a couple of men all game we never seemed to try to get him in behind the defence apart from the ball in to Dennis!

Vaughn played well but I think it'll take a while for lesser quality players to realize that he CAN make the defence splitting pass and move accordingly!

Duffy just about made MOM today...his organizing of the back four was solid as usual (although Tootle & Jones were taken to the cleaners on a couple of occasions) and a sublime pass to Thomas that almost opened the scoring but it did make me laugh when he made one awful pass straight out of touch and a part of the crowd was on his back straight away!

Very disappointing result but a fair one with a couple of glimpses of a promising season!

Have faith in our leaders dear friends! We shall overcome!!

COYP

Quote Originally Posted by CmonU***yStylishPies View Post
    Nowhere did I say his distribution was good, just that it was better than Collin's.
    I personally didn't see it that way, especially when he continued to punt it down the middle to Dennis and Allessandra late on. Bizarre.

He kicked it up the pitch but didn't seem to actually be aiming for a Notts player, I noticed it against Derby too where Stead was having to run 20-30 yards to even be able to try and contest a header, at least Collin could aim it towards Stead/Ameobi or Brisley on set pieces. I know Stead isn't great in the air anyway but he seemed to be aiming for Hemmings or his accuracy was just that far off. As I said in the other thread, he's a downgrade on Adam Collin in every way, including distribution.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234