+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: On another thread

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Exactly my reason as well Eli. Supporting the underdog is just something I've always done, that takes a smidgen of character. Following Man U or Man C or whoever, when you're pretty much guaranteed a certain level of success is for wimps and peeps who wear the shirt but never attn the games.
    I've often wondered whether this works the other way and my support of Notts during Forest's successful era has given me a tendency to always support the underdog. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    OK Einstein, when you was romping lg 2 under Munto, did 2/3 of your "lost " support return?
    No they didn't, you put around 3-4 k on the gates.
    I wonder how much of that (and I admit it will only be a small part) is down to our traditional 'Meadows' fanbase being taken away by the developers back in the 1970s? Always wondered about that...thoughts anyone?
    Last edited by SwalePie; 06-08-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    It was me that said that! I can only speak for myself, but I started supporting Notts because my old man did, and he did because his old man did. But there's more to it than that. I've always loved supporting the underdog, so if Notts went out of business and I moved to a new city with two clubs, I'd naturally be drawn to the smaller one.

When I was at school in the early 90s, there were a handful of kids that supported Notts and the rest supported Forest fans. I remember getting laughed at for wearing my Notts kit on 'own-clothes day' (granted, it was the 'bar code' one). This cemented my resolve to stick with Notts no matter what. And also, one thing I always noticed was that every single Notts fan I knew went to watch them week in, week out; whereas only a fraction of the Forest fans ever went to the games. It was just the default position taken by armchair football fans at the time - I guess these types of kids would now support Man City or Barcelona.

I can also say that, on average, County and Forest fans have different attitudes to football and their respective clubs, and I feel much more comfortable with the County one. To me, Forest fans seem interminably arrogant about their place in the football hierarchy, despite years of relative underachievement - a bit like Coventry really. There's a sort of half aggro half arrogance - the sort of fans that won't hesitate to point out that they're bigger and better than you. County fans, on the other hand, seem to have a bit more of a sense of humour; we know our place in the world, and we generally expect the worst while hoping for the best. I think the Wheelbarrow Song perfectly reflects our club's ethos. A song like that would never happen at a club like Forest.

Apart from all that stuff, it's just a feeling that I can't describe. I love supporting Notts. Simple as that. The amount of times I've had Forest fans basically saying to me "we're a bigger club than you, with better players, more money, a more impressive history and a bigger stadium." I am absolutely aware of all that. It doesn't change a thing. If anything, it's that stuff that makes me love County more.
    Beautifully put sir!

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I've often wondered whether this works the other way and my support of Notts during Forest's successful era has given me a tendency to always support the underdog. Interesting.

I wonder how much of that (and I admit it will only be a small part) is down to our traditional 'Meadows' fanbase being taken away by the developers back in the 1970s? Always wondered about that...thoughts anyone?
    I will always support the “lesser” team in any city I visit, which is why I now look out for the results of the likes of Espanyol, Cercle Bruges, Real Betis and Hapoel Haifa. The only exceptions for me are Juventus over Torino, Celtic over Partick Thistle and, of course, Notts over F*****.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Celtic over Partick Thistle
    Well played

Nothing to do with any underdog feeling. Notts were the first team I was taken to all those years ago and it just stuck.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345