+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: So...did we need to sell Viera? The numbers don't lie!

So...did we need to sell Viera? The numbers don't lie!

Before the transfer window started, we were assured of a transfer budget of around 20mill (10mill from the 49ers, plus another 10mill from season ticket sales). Until Viera was sold I felt confident that the budget was indeed being spent, but the comments from Radrizanni about needing to sell Viera has me a touch concerned, so I’ve done some rough estimations, to see if that need is indeed reasonable.

Spend:
    Bamford 7mill/25,000 salary
    Douglas 3mill/25,000 salary
    Blackman 250,000 fee/25,000 salary *
    Baker 250,000 fee/25,000 salary *
    Harrison 250,000 fee/25,000 salary *

Sales:
    Viera 7mill/15,000 salary
    The other ‘13’ 1mill?/50,000 salary? **

* best guess
    ** a really rough guess based on minimal sales fees for Antonssen, Wiedwald; plus minimal loan fees; plus us sharing a proportion of wages for loan players

That leaves us with a net outlay of roughly 3mill/60,000 salary, which amounts to about 6mill for this year, which is way short of the 20mill promised…until you add in two major components; the cost of Bielsa and his staff, and agents fees.

We know that Bielsa is costing 2mill/year; and that his new support staff are costing 3mill/year. I’m guessing that’s close to 4mill/year more than they were paying Heckingbottom and his staff.
    I’m also guessing that the fees we’ve paid agents this year will be substantial. You can’t move on 13, and bring in 5 without a lot of money being spent. I’ll estimate it at 1 mill?

Okay, so that’s 5mill we need to add to the net outlay, bringing us to around a 11 mill spend. Leaves us 9 mill in the pot…enough to buy another quality player, and possibly loan two more players (we can have up to five in a match-day squad),

Without selling Viera I reckon we wouldn’t have that 9 mill...so maybe by the end of the window I'll better see the reasoning behind the sale.

Same old story with Leeds..sell yer one of yer best prospects near enough every season..nothing changes really.
    Last edited by Rev72; 05-08-2018 at 10:05 AM.

If we 'needed' to sell him then fact is we aren't ever going up other than a miraculous season as we will never sign the requisite quality players to make it happen.

This squad is still 3 top quality players short of promotion and the fact we've sold Vieira because we need the money doesnt fill me with confidence that we are going to fill those positions with anything other than loans to boost other Premierships clubs young players.

AR "I agree with Marcelo who said to me 'Ronaldo is a good player not ready to be in the (starting) line-up'. He needs to grow technically. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the Premier League, and I told him I hope to buy him back in a couple of years when and if we are there."

Sums up for me..great prospect but we should be able to invest the fee in a player who will have a greater impact on this season ...

another game like Stoke and we won't need him.

if we grind out the whole season and play football to our best ability MB and his staff will be worth every penny.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)