+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: OT-Ben Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Meanwhile the 2 gay guys have gone public to thank Stokesy for stepping in to save them from a potential attack from 2 queer-bashers armed with a length of metal and a beer bottle.....Stokes should be knighted and receive the Freedom of Bristol.....the guy is a hero.
    Are you really that naive? So why didn't the defence call them as witnesses and quash the prosecution's case at the outset? Money is a powerful incentive these days. Like I said, I know a thug when I see one. British justice, my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Moreton_Pie View Post
    So it's fine and dandy to go out get pi**ed as a tw*t smack someone (which by his aggressive pose on the pre night pose photo suggested was the likely outcome of the night) and totally get away with it is it. The incorrect charge let him off.Had it been actual bodily harm we would be looking at a different verdict. The video evidence is there for all to see as is the victims photos. He should never play for England again and neither should Games. Complete pr**s in my h and h opinion.
    Agree I'm afraid, having watched video for him to be acquitted is strange. If that was your average Joe then no way he'd of got off with no repercussion, not a chance in hell. The age of celebrity is truly upon us. Plus I agree with Sid, he seems like a big headed pr!ck.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Are you really that naive? So why didn't the defence call them as witnesses and quash the prosecution's case at the outset? Money is a powerful incentive these days. Like I said, I know a thug when I see one. British justice, my ass.
    Have to agree with you sid,Stokes is nothing more than a thug. By the way , thanks for the book recommendations. Enyoyed the Howard Webb book , fascinating. Amongst other books I read , KP,s , still a fcuking South African in my eyes. Got the Bryan Robson book to start for the plane journey home, really hope the dog is still tied to that post when we get back.

Firstly, I think Ben Stokes is a thug and a muppet and should probably have been found guilty from what I’ve seen. But he wasn’t.

However, to those claiming he shouldn’t play for England again, are you treating cricket under different rules to football? A certain Steven Gerrard went on to not only play for England after admitting punching a guy three times and being found innocent of affray, but was made captain at two world cups.....

Do we think if there had been no video footage things would have been different (in public opinion) for Stokes as there was no footage of Gerrard? Are double standards at play?

Or would you equally have never wanted Gerrard to pull on an England shirt again?

I think it is clear Stokes went over the top but what i'm not liking is on social media he is taking the majority of the blame don't forget footage was shown inside the court of the other two which has not been seen by the public.

Stokes should not be out that late or drink that much when he has a game 2/3 days later but the biggest mystery is why weren't the two gay blokes asked for their side of the story in court as they have gone on the news and said a totally different story to how the media have reported it in my opinion those 2 blokes took bottles outside the club to attack them bad luck for them that they came face to face with a handy sportsman.

The ECB have added him to the squad probably as moral support they haven't said he will play it might be best to leave him out for the series, talk of he shouldn't play again is ridiculous would you say if a plumber got involved in a fight he shouldn't be allowed to fit bathrooms or boilers again ?!

All of them SHOULD learn their lesson from this experience as next time they will more than likely be in prison and they cannot blame anyone else for that.

I find it mind boggling that recently you had the audacity to call me a philistine or similar and now you are making suggestions like "I know a thug when I see one". Who is the philistine now?

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    I find it mind boggling that recently you had the audacity to call me a philistine or similar and now you are making suggestions like "I know a thug when I see one". Who is the philistine now?
    Methinks you need to revisit 'philistinism', Queenie. I don't see how calling Stokes a thug makes me a philistine. We go back a long way, Queenie. Let's not fall out over this one, eh? You know my favourite Aussie joke: What's the difference between an Aussie and a pot of yoghurt? The yoghurt's got culture. You chose to live there, mate.

Agreed Sid, I personally can't stand criket but I followed this story in the news, the footage shown of the fight was apauling, to me it looked like Stokes was the instigator, a couple of minutes earlier he was verbally abusing and treatening the bouncer and then comes to the aid of 2 gay guys... I think not

If you’ve ever served on a jury you probably know already, that the atmosphere in a court room often serves to ride roughshod over any potentially damning, or mitigating evidence.

The jury tend to form their own opinions based on demeanor, and quite frankly they will often convict, or acquit purely upon whether they like, or trust someone, or not .

Ignoring the film evidence for a moment, all the media report are details of evidence. They don’t say the evidence was given by a shifty eyed git, who hadn’t washed for a week, and who you wouldn’t go near, or trust in a million years.

The jury see this, we don’t.

I wouldn’t say juries aren’t stupid because many jurors are, but to dupe all twelve is quite an achievement
    Last edited by Notsohumblepie; 16-08-2018 at 04:28 PM.

Not so humble is right, it's often who the jurors like more or who's lawyer tells the best story that wins the day. I've seen alot of cases where clear evidence is ignored and the defendant is found guilty or not just on who the jury liked more or whos lawyer/attorney told the best tail they can picture in their head. It's more prevalent in the US but in cases where well known or liked defendants are involved they often get let off or if they're not liked, convicted.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast