+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hope new players are given a chance

Hope new players are given a chance

Everyone is underwhelmed by transfer activity this window and most people expect another season battling relegation. But let's not write off the season before it starts. I won't write off our bargain basement buys until they've been given a chance to prove themselves, by which I mean starting games not being brought on as subs after 80 mins. Questions were asked last season why it took so long for some buys, like Murphy, to start a game. I know our new players weren't probably Rafa's first or second choices but let's see what they can do. For instance, I hope we don't start the season with Joselu as our preferred striker with Muto and Rondon, if we get him, sitting on the bench. If that proves to be the case there's no point in complaining that we we're not scoring and that we need a decent striker.

Some are saying we might be bottom after the first 5 games with no points. The time to complain about that is when we are actually bottom with no points after actually playing 5 games. Unlikely though it might be, after 10 games we might be in the top half then people might say our buys and loans have been shrewd.

I'm not disagreeing that we've under-invested for years. The club's record since Ashley bought it speaks for itself. All I'm saying is let's wait for 10-12 games and then re-assess.

Before the window opened most on here wanted to sign our loan keeper on a permanent contract,get Kenedy back for at least another season and at least another striker.Although Muto played mostly as a second striker in the Bundesliga he is a forward,we have also signed a midfielder and a defender.
    Some reports say we are after Ings as well as Rondon.

So although the fat Cnut has again failed to put his hand in his pocket if these two are signed even though they are not at the level we wanted fatty can say we needed strikers and I have provided them.

A bit like asking Rembrandt to paint your portrait with a crayon then complaining thats its rubbish afterwards.

Ashley: Crayon cnt
    Rafa: Rembrandt

I'm not saying that Rafa should be expected to get good results from cheap players. All I'm saying is do not write off players before you see them play. Here's an analogy. If you buy a cheap TV you don't expect a good picture. But before you say the picture's rubbish at least turn the TV on and watch it for a few minutes. If the players turn out to be mediocre at best your argument is correct: we should have spent more. In fact I agree with that even before the season starts but let's give the players a chance by starting them in games. Where's the problem in that?

Quote Originally Posted by occult View Post
    I'm not saying that Rafa should be expected to get good results from cheap players. All I'm saying is do not write off players before you see them play. Here's an analogy. If you buy a cheap TV you don't expect a good picture. But before you say the picture's rubbish at least turn the TV on and watch it for a few minutes. If the players turn out to be mediocre at best your argument is correct: we should have spent more. In fact I agree with that even before the season starts but let's give the players a chance by starting them in games. Where's the problem in that?
    Of course, give them a chance first, absolutely. No problem in that at all, totally correct.

But based on history and the law of averages then the likelyhood of quality at the prices we pay is low.

Dont be shocked to see our last big 5 million striker signing still being the main man by Christmas. You might get the odd gem but you kiss a lot of frogs in the meamwhile. A gamble is all fine and well but we need proven ability and the money paid for Muto and Joselu put together may have got that player.

Waiting 12 weeks before saying ought might have us already nearly relegated.

Think what I am trying to say here is that I agree with the direction of your post and I certainly dont blame any of the players signed. I put all my blame on the signing policymakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    Of course, give them a chance first, absolutely. No problem in that at all, totally correct.

But based on history and the law of averages then the likelyhood of quality at the prices we pay is low.

Dont be shocked to see our last big 5 million striker signing still being the main man by Christmas. You might get the odd gem but you kiss a lot of frogs in the meamwhile. A gamble is all fine and well but we need proven ability and the money paid for Muto and Joselu put together may have got that player.

Waiting 12 weeks before saying ought might have us already nearly relegated.
    I agree with your suggestion that we need quality so I wouldn't have minded if we'd bought fewer players and put the money, including whatever we got for Mitro, or the first instalment if that's how we're getting paid, towards one striker.

Quote Originally Posted by occult View Post
    I agree with your suggestion that we need quality so I wouldn't have minded if we'd bought fewer players and put the money, including whatever we got for Mitro, or the first instalment if that's how we're getting paid, towards one striker.
    Spot on. Fools economy buying cheap en masse. 15 mill for one proven player is better than two. It just gives you a better chance, lowers the odds for success and I just dont feel we are currently in the position to take a gamble at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    Think what I am trying to say here is that I agree with the direction of your post and I certainly dont blame any of the players signed. I put all my blame on the signing policymakers.
    Agreed.

The fans will give all new players a fair chance, but at the same time, directing anger at the hierarchy will cause a negative atmosphere, one that some of the players might not be comfortable with....

...But.... one they are gonna have to deal with, because there is gonna be a sh1tstorm towards the directors box for the best part of this season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)