+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: United 1 Swansea 2 - report

United 1 Swansea 2 - report

Sorry for the delay in the report…..went out to Peddlers at Kelham Island after the game to drown my sorrows…..

----

United’s new season got off to a disappointing start as they went down to a 2-1 defeat to newly relegated Swansea at Bramall Lane. It was a poor game with little quality on show and neither side really got going but the game sparked into life when George Baldock gave United the lead with a neat finish after a well worked move. Swansea responded and pinned the home side back after this and goals from Oliver McBurnie and Yan Dhanda gave the Swans the victory. The Blades struggled to cope with the pace and creativity of the visitors in the final stages and were cut open at times. United huffed and puffed but in the end, it was a deserved victory for the away side. United looked a long way off the side that started last season so well and sadly looked more akin to the tired group that ended the season.

The opening game began, as it often does, in glorious sunshine but it was the visitors who started slightly better winning two free kicks that came to nothing in the end. United won an early corner and soon after this Evans cross evaded O’Connell at the back post. McGoldrick had looked lively early for the hosts with McKay causing problems with his running for the visiting team. There had been few opportunities of note as the game was being played at quite a slow pace. Stevens accidentally caught Fernandez leading to treatment for the Swansea man and some hysteria on both benches. The game was struggling to have any momentum although decent play from the Swans led to a half chance blocked. McGoldrick had a shot deflected wide and then O’Connell headed over. The best chance of the half came to the visitors when Henderson had to make a smart reaction save with his feet after the ball had fell in the box but the referee pulled play up; seemingly for a handball. Soon after the half time whistle came in a largely forgettable first half.

The second half saw Swansea make an early attack as McKay fed Asoro but O’Connell bravely blocked the ball. Egan then gave it away but United were able to stem the threat soon after with Baldock stepping in. At the other end United had a decent chance but McGoldrick pulled his shot wide with others screaming for the pass. Lundstram then had the Blades best opportunity but sliced it badly wide. He was able to make a good tackle moments later. Carroll then fired over as the game started to open up more.

The opening goal came with some neat play down the left and Stevens fed Lundstram who sent over a lovely pulled back cross and BALDOCK met it to side foot it home past Nordfeldt to send the Kop into raptures.

Swansea came out after this goal and had a real go. Henderson did well to flick over Fulton’s looping header and then McKay nearly fed McBurnie. United started to sit back and it was no surprise when the leveller came. More good work from the enterprising Celina fed McKay who ran through and found McBurnie. His flick round the corner back to McKay was intercepted by a defender but Henderson had to dive full length to prevent an own goal. The ball fell perfectly for McBURNIE who smashed home from close range.

Swansea came again soon after and McKay’s whipped effort smacked the bar with Henderson beaten. Sub Montero was causing all sorts of problems and he beat Baldock twice for pace leading to further half chances. Woodburn was one for McGoldrick and then Lundstram departed for Sharp as Wilder sought to stem the tide but at this stage United were defending more than attacking.

The comeback was complete five minutes from time. Montero was again the provider, as he skipped past Egan this time and crosses. McKay seemed set to shoot when Stevens took his legs away from him but DHANDA, who had only entered the pitch moments ago, rammed home the rebound as the referee played a good advantage.

Duffy was brought on and United had a half chance as the keeper pushed away a deflected header from his own man but as the game ticked into four minutes additional time other than a weak Egan effort; Swansea held out and picked up the opening day win.

United – We were poor today and never really got going in a very average performance in a poor game against a side that were there for the taking. Wilder got the team selection wrong. He tried to match up and keep it solid in midfield but Evans and Lundstram together does not work. Both lack mobility and pace and means we get overrun in this area. Duffy is not a defensive player but he gets hold of the ball and thus reduces pressure on your defence/rest of midfield. I felt that Wilder played the two aforementioned to give us some solidity but in truth it never worked and the best two players on the pitch (save for the sub who came on and gave us a torrid time) were Celina and Carroll who were up against these two. For a home side we never had control of the game or midfield all afternoon and we never really put them under any pressure. It felt a bit friendly/practice match at times as we sat off. They were not great but came to life after we scored, stepped up a gear and in the end went through us a like a knife through butter. They scored 2 but could have easily scored 4 or 5 in the last 20 minutes alone. We had a few decent chances at 0-0 with shots missing from Lundstram and also McGoldrick but we never really got beyond them. The front two were isolated and we had no creativity or pace. We took an age to move the ball on and when we did they had men behind the ball and dealt with us quite easily.

I do not think they were great shakes and were equally poor for long spells but simply upped it after we scored. Wilder got the team selection wrong but had chances to redeem himself but did not change it and when he did make the wrong changes for me. Duffy should have been on a lot earlier or even Leonard in midfield to get amongst them, pressure them an stop the ease with which they ran through with the ball. Woodburn came on and was left isolated – he should have replaced a midfielder for me – in the same way the other strikers were. Sharp rarely changes games when he is a sub as lacks the pace to get up with the game. Duffy came on late on but this was a waste of time for me.

I felt we did not really press, harry or get in their faces and it was all a bit easy. They gave the ball away a lot without being under any pressure but we failed to take advantage. I felt we sat off and gave them time. They wasted so many good chances to cross or create and it was only at the end when they started to run at us and commit men forward they made us pay. I felt despite us being poor we had given as good as we got up to the point we scored and then got in front. We failed to build on this and they sensed gaps opening up. They seemed to have quicker, nimble and more skilled players in the last 20 minutes – which had not always been the case in the early stages of the game. It was if they realised how slow and immobile our defence and midfield were. It was worrying how easily a team got through us in those last stages – especially as it had our new big money signing and highly rated keeper in. Neither looked totally convincing and indeed none of the debutants had a particularly good game.

The issues pinpointed last year in terms of defensive errors – poor goals and lack of creativity and pace (outside of Duffy) were right to the fore and if Clarke is not on his game or not effective you worry where the goals may come from. The keeper did not have one save to make and other than a couple of shots wide from McGoldrick and Lundstram we did not create anything outside the goal.

I was not going to get too up if we had won – said when we led that the performance had been average at best- so cannot get too down about losing. It is one game. Still, it is a concern to some degree as there are a lot of questions around the side still. I am still to be convinced by either Lundstram or Evans. There are fans of both of them I know but unsure either offer much that affects games enough in a positive way. Both are very much ‘meh’ players in that they are just very average. Egan had to do a lot better than that but should be given time of course. It is hard to be too critical of the strikers as both had little service but Clarke did have one of those not that bothered games I felt. McGoldrick seemed to put himself about more than him. Fleck was wasted having to drift out to the left and ended up more left wing than central but him, O’Connell and Clarke – our three big players down the spine did not have great games at all.

We clearly need another striker but if Coutts is not back for a few months; the midfield is still an issue. We will get overrun a lot more if we play like that but I am sure Wilder will change things for the game in the week. I expect a reaction to a very poor start and hope we can go there and be positive. We then go to QPR; so two away games in a week. It is important we get off the mark sooner rather than later. I said today a point would have been a good result and even said that at 1-0 and then at 1-1; would have been delighted to take a draw. We lost rather meekly in the end and it was disappointing how easily they scored the goals. We looked a bit of a soft touch in the final stages and that needs to change fast.

Swansea – Thought for the first hour or so off the match they looked as poor as us. They gave it away and were sloppy with the ball even at the back. They did not have much of an attacking threat although had more of the midfield. They looked like they were feeling their way into the season the same as we were; but the goal woke them up. They made a change and got some pace into the game and the two lads in midfield started to support the already impressive McKay. Celina and Carroll started to run at our tired midfielders and they supported McBurnie and to be honest a chance looked like coming every time they attacked after this. They hit the bar and had a few other efforts in between the goals. They just ran at us and got men up to support and the weight of numbers told. They were queuing up to score the goals they did.

Tactically Potter got it right in the end as he ensured they had 2 wingers which pinned back the wing backs and nullified out main threat – due to the pace even our centre backs could not go forward. We then relied on the midfield to run with the ball or carry it but they did not and they found out probably a bit too late but enough in the end; how to play against us. Several teams did the same post Xmas but we do not seem to be able to change it.

Swansea are a much changed team and a new manager with several key men leaving; they may have some Premier League quality but I do think with a proper United up and at em performance today; they were there for the taking. Sadly we served up a really poor showing and in the end they did just about enough to nick the game. People will say that it was even for 70 minutes but the final 20 minutes are when games are effectively won and lost and they battered us in this all-important stage of the game in ball retention and chances. Hard to know where Swansea will finish up. Been linked with more players; including Ryan Woods at Brentford but they look the weakest out of the three relegated teams on paper. Course it never works that way but I would be surprised if they did go straight back up. I felt playoffs at best would be what they would achieve.

Opposition Man of the Match: The lad McKay was the best player in the first half and looked a threat and of course the sub Montero caused us all sorts of problems but to me the best two players were Carroll and Celina. The latter was at Ipswich last year and did ok but not someone clubs were clamouring to sign (from Man City). Today he bossed the midfield and I felt for the final part of the game his play, running and passing was crucial in the comeback.

Opposition Weak link: Other than above; no one stood out really or were particularly bad. Just a lot of average performers (for both teams). Felt the lad Olsson at left back struggled a bit and lost his way a few times and the centre backs although good in the air did give it away as much our players did.

United -

Henderson 7/10 – He started the game ok taking a cross and fielding a few routine shots and then made a good save when the lad was penalised for handball just before the break. He did kick one ball out and his overall kicking was quite poor – sent a few more out of play after this. He then made another really smart save when he flicked over; when it was 1-0. After this he got badly exposed as they attacked at will and he made a good stop in the build up the goal at close range but could not do anything with the rebound. He had no chance with the winner. A number of other efforts reigned in and he was not given any protection.

Baldock 6/10 – Up to the last 20 minutes you could see why he was a contender for our man of the match; if there was one. He had linked fairly well and then got forward more second half which culminated in him being on the left wing in the build up to him eventually scoring – a well taken finish. After this he had a bit of a mare. The lad Montero skinned him several times and he was given no protection from Basham or any of the midfielders as the lad was too quick and skilled for him. Numerous attacks came down this side and we did nothing to stem the tide.

Stevens 6/10 – Seen him criticised on a few reports but not sure he was close to our being one of our worst players. Sure, his crossing remains frustrating and at times he loses his concentration at the back; but overall thought he was ok today. Most of the problems near the end came down the other side. He was slow to pick up men when the ball came over near the end though. I think there are much bigger priorities in the team than this position for me.

Basham 5.5/10 – He had a really ragged game. He got nutmegged badly first half, he then committed an awful dive trying to win a penalty and was erratic in most things he did with the ball. He got better either side of half time but then as they attacked us near the end did not get out quick enough to support Baldock and left him badly exposed. He too got beat for pace and skill from the same lad also near the end.

O’Connell 6/10 – Best of the central defence but not by much. He will be counted on as one of our key men but today he was a bit careless with the ball and at times seemed at full stretch. Did make a few good runs n the first half when he ran down the left and was our furthest attacker. Still a lot of work to be done in terms of meshing with the players at the back

Egan 5/10 – Have to say it was a poor debut. His distribution all day was not very good at all. He either lumped it to no one or gave it to them. Brentford fans said he is not that great with the ball at his feet and sadly you could see that. He headed it and kicked it away well enough and in actual defending up to that last stage he seemed ok. He gave a horrible ball away that nearly led to them scoring second half and then as they attacked he struggled and was one of a number who got beat too easily. I think in the build up to the second goal he failed to stop the man running through.

Fleck 5.5/10 – Not sure it was his best game at all but the formation did not seem to suit him. When he plays in a three he normally plays in the middle or slightly to the left but he was almost exclusively left side and nearly as a left winger; particularly second half. He had a few runs and passes but the game seemed to pass him by and he did not have anywhere near the impact that you would want him to have. The outstanding players on the field were the two Swansea midfielders and none of our middle three really shined. Fleck has to do more really in those sort of games as it our key man in midfield but he rarely got on the ball or even put a tackle in.

Evans 5.5/10 – Probably get hammered for this mark but stand by it. He put two excellent whipped crosses in that evaded the strikers when someone maybe should have got on the end of it. Outside of this not sure he did much really. He took way too many touches when he had it and often went sideways or backwards. He did not carry the ball or play many decisive forward passes (outside of two crosses stated above). I felt defensively he sat off the opponents and we gave them way too much time. His set plays were poor also; floated in. He is a bit marmite. Some fans like him where as others (can include me in that) struggle to see what he does – to me he lacks pace, mobility and does not affect games enough. I have not worked out what he is. He is not a passer/schemer nor he is a tackler or enforcer. Maybe he is meant to do a bit of everything but not sure he is that great at any one thing. Just looks very average to me. Crying out for some energy or someone who can unlock other defences in that area.

Lundstram 6/10 – As above really. He had a decent spell second half when he ran forward and linked and then shot badly wide – he the chased back and won a great tackle. He also then made the goal with a neat pass after a run out wide. Outside of this a few pinged cross field balls but the game seemed to pass him by. He looked absolutely knackered early in the second half and players were running away from him. As I have said with Evans, we needed someone to press or harry and close the two scheming midfielders Swansea had. We failed to do that and they constantly second half; especially in the crucial part of the game; failed to stop the runners or close down the ball. They had way too much time to do what they wanted. Maybe for the first 70 minutes they did not hurt us but still had too much of the ball in the middle. To be fair to him he was off when they scored the winner. When it mattered; at the end of the game they looked faster, stronger and fitter and our midfield’s legs looked shot which is a worry first game.

McGoldrick 6/10 – Think he was slightly better than Clarke but not by much. He too had little service but tried to run the channels, win flicks on and hold it up when he could. He started the game ok and looked like he was desperate to impress. Second half he had a decent chance which he pulled wide but outside of this cannot recall many openings coming his way at all. He tired and was eventually taken off.

Clarke 6/10 – Not really in the game but had little service. He started the game involved and was busy but then the big lad, van der Hoorn started to impose himself on Clarke and win a lot of the aerial stuff. He kind of fed on scraps and seemed to then get a bit frustrated. Not sure he had a shot or effort all game and as our main striker you do expect more even if he was starved of the ball in the key areas. Wanted a bit more effort 2nd half as the two centre halves coped with us a bit too easily.

Subs:

Woodburn – Not the best of starts albeit a limited sample size. You could say it is hard to adapt to the hurly burly pace of a game as a sub; especially the fast-paced Championship – would argue it is quicker than the Premier League. However, today the game was played at a snail’s pace at times. He never really got on the ball as it squirted away from him a few times. Not sure he did much of anything when he came on- maybe a few sideways lay offs or passes but saw nothing from him as an attacking threat. Not sure he is a striker from speaking to Liverpool supporting friends who say he is a winger – which makes it hard as we do not play with wingers.

Sharp – Came on but he seems to struggle when he comes on as sub to get to the pace of the game. Held it up a few times but cannot recall anything he did that led to a chance or having a chance.

Duffy – Came on at the death. He got on it a few times but it was all too little, too late and he got crowded out when he had it.

Manager: Wilder 4/10 – See above. Just got it horribly wrong. Team selection, tactics and subs. Rare I criticise him so much. It is thin margins as he says in terms of goals but they could have scored countless times on the break. I felt we never had control of the game even at 0-0. Us scoring might have been the worst thing to happen as rather than it peter out to a 0-0 draw it woke them up and they had a proper go and we looked really bad then. However, for us to not control key areas of the park and not really move the ball quick enough could have been rectified. I would have had not issues with a double change at half time (Leonard and Duffy for Lundstram and Evans) but he kept with the same team but things carried on much the same but we then scored. After they got level he changed it but made the wrong changes. I think he will realise he got a few things wrong today. Not saying he was directly at fault for the loss as players did make mistakes and we did give away sloppy goals but never really took the initiative from the start or at any point in the game. The high pressing, attacking and passing style we never really sore and it was a really slow and laborious performance. The only thing that made it look better is they were not much better but then had the ability to change it up and we had no answer. He persisted with the same formation too and this at times is becoming a bit predictable. At times in games he needs to change this and give teams things to think about. We lack pace so teams will just sit deep and then pick us off as we try and go through them.

Will need a response from his team in the week as that was not good enough individually or collectively. People may say this is harsh but how many players or departments actually functioned well in the game?

Officials – Referee was Steve Martin. No not the actor. He was ok. He did give them quite a bit of the 50-50 stuff early on but settled down and cannot recall too many really big calls he got wrong. I felt McBurnie should have been booked for persistent fouling and moaning. He did really well to play on in the winning goal – as it was a certain penalty and a reckless challenge but waited and they scored which was of course an excellent advantage. He was not helped by two useless assistant referees, particularly him on the South Stand side who seemed to be still on his holiday. He simply did not want to make a decision at all. Interesting to see Wilder and Knill angry with the Swansea bench claiming they waved imaginary yellow cards after a foul and wanted action (new rule where managers/coaches can get yellow and red cards for various offences includes the brandishing of an imaginary yellow in an attempt to get someone booked).

Crowd – 24 and half thousand. I expected a lot more than that I have to be honest. It was nearly 2,000 down on the opener last season. Of course, it was on Sky and there are people on holiday and Swansea did not quite bring as many as Brentford (poor following from the Swans – maybe less than a 1,000). However, it does show that season tickets sales are probably down a bit. I felt the crowd were supportive at first and noisy when the game began but it was a poor match and in the heat; it all became very subdued. It picked up second half a bit and we scored of course but this positivity did not last and soon as we struggled, groans and sighs began. The new lad Woodburn miscontrolled one pass and got a significant groan from the crowd which seemed a bit harsh. I think many had been pleased with the incoming players and felt quite positive so to see such a poor performance was disappointing. It is the usual stuff as you wait all summer for the season to come back and you get excited the night before and on the day of the match; meet your mates and have a few pints and then within 90 minutes all the hopes and excitement seems to have disappeared.

Can't argue with much of that db I'm with you on the Evans debate but lundstram isn't any better bottom line is we have to move the ball quicker like we do when coutts plays but they aren't technically good enough or have the speed of thought so who's fault is that,theirs for not being able to execute what's demanded of them or the management for asking them to do so,ethimg they aren't capable of and should the system be changed to suit the players available instead of carrying on regardless

The attendance, slightly down on last seasons opener due to 3 things:-

Brentford bought over a thousand more fans
    The game was on TV which has a big impact
    The kick off time was awful

As for the Season Tickets there has been an increase in sales this season.

Now as for Lundstram, his problem is he can't accept mistakes and trys to blame others. Not up to Championship level at the moment. But has all the attributes to become a better player. Trying a bit too hard at present.

Wage structure - think Chris is going to have to realise that if you buy cheap you get cheap, same with wages.

Don't forget this time last season we'd just had a 100 point Champions season in't "pub league" as some like to call it, so that wudda also had a positive effect on the Brentford gate. UTCB

Seemed a good place to put this,this stuff fascinates me and quite often questions my perception of the game and players performances

https://www.uptheblades.com/latest-a...blades-swansea

good point the last one on your first post bulmer i really think its time for a rethink on our formation to get the best out of the players we have

Quote Originally Posted by mahatmafoot View Post
    Wage structure - think Chris is going to have to realise that if you buy cheap you get cheap, same with wages.
    Yep, good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good.

Even Harry, a manager all about the team over the individual, pushed the boat out to bring a luxury player in Hodges to the club. On Saturday we looked as workmanlike and as lacking in quality as we did under Adams. It was a wake up call for CW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast