+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motherwell well beaten at Easter Road

Motherwell well beaten at Easter Road

Motherwell were taken apart by a decent Hibs side and in the end we were fortunate to escape with a 3-0 defeat. Our weakened team carried a threat only in the second half when our hosts took their feet off the gas - External Link

No surprises with result or performance today, we were utterly dire and only came into the game once 3-0 down.

Without Campbell in the side we have nothing in the middle and we have zero creativity or flair in that team. Why this was not addressed over the summer is anyone's guess but I can see that haunting us.

We were an utter shambles at the back as I knew we would be and unless we adequately address the backline then pumpings like today will be commonplace this season.

The only players to come out of today with passmarks were, ironically enough the two subs Bigi and Johnson. The latter was unfortunate not to get on the scoresheet and why Madden disallowed his goal was baffling as it looked harsh.

Next week really is must win, even this early in the season.

First league game,, no need for panic just yet. But you were spot on with your comments Lawsteelman

There may be no need to hit the panic button quite yet but there are definite causes for concern just now.

- Key players out injured long term

- the team flat and lacking in creativity

- Curtis Main looks completely disinterested and has done since the League Cup games

- defence is dire

- summer rebuilding job didn't address the issues with the squad that were there last season

Next week against Accies will tell us alot more than today did but we really need a win there, otherwise it will be time to panic. I hope and indeed expect to see Johnson and Bigi start the match next week, if they don't then questions need asked of the manager.

Johnson and Bigi probably won't play next week, why? Because they can play football. Robinson goes for brute strength rather than guile. I said at the end of last season on here that that will get us so far but ultimately nowhere, especially against the teams with a bit of style that will easily overcome us. I felt for us to move on we had to sign players that can play a bit, with the talent to pass the ball and keep the ball on the deck. I may be proved wrong, in fact I hope i am because that means a decent season will be had. I feel we may have missed an opportunity to move forward after the efforts of last season.

We won't get away with having brute strength over guile forever and having played that way for most of last season, other sides will know how to deal with us. With Kipre gone and Dunne out for a while we have actually lost quite a bit of that 'brute strength' from the side but have done nothing in terms of addressing the lack of flair in the team. Last season we comfortably avoided relegation thanks largely to how we played and the points we picked up early on in the campaign. Of course we had an excellent striker in Louis Moult leading the line then and he won us plenty of points when we were playing poorly. We don't have anyone near his quality this year and that is what is going to land us in bother.

It's an absolute no brainer imo that Bigi and Johnson should start next week at the expense of Main and either Grimshaw or Cadden and if they don't then as I said, questions need to be asked of the manager because if he intends to tough out a sh1tfest of hoofball with Hamilton then that is very worrying indeed.

I like Stephen Robinson and he has a huge amount of credit in the bank for last season but that's in the past now and the summer transfer dealings did not impress me.

Agree.

Johnson and Bigiramana have to be 'must starts' against Accies. If not, what's the point?! There may be trouble ahead ...

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Agree.

Johnson and Bigiramana have to be 'must starts' against Accies. If not, what's the point?! There may be trouble ahead ...
    Completely agree. Johnson will get goals, and, provided the others offer Bigi more options than they did on Saturday, he can get the ball to them.

I hope Robinson reads these posts

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886 View Post
    Agree.

Hope your right mate. They must start next week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)