+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hewitt & Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    I don't junk we have one
    That sounds a load of rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    That sounds a load of rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by macstop View Post
    Vaughan to me is Alan Smith mark11, only Smithy did got stuck in a bit more.
    Have you actually watched Vaughan play or have you just looked at his age on Wikipedia and decided that?

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    Have you actually watched Vaughan play or have you just looked at his age on Wikipedia and decided that?

Watched every game he as played for Notts, and i don't think he's the answer for our midfield imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    Don't think Husin would be much use to stop the midfield being overrun to be honest, we need a Bishop/Yates type player and I don't junk we have one
    Mansfield do😡

Last week before the first game I posted my doubts about Vaughan and Hewitt as a two-man midfield, and indeed my doubts as to whether any of our midfielders are truly suited to play in a 4-4-2.

I thought we were better defensively in midfield on Saturday than we had been in pre-season, which is borne out by the clean sheet, but away from home in particular it's asking a lot of Hewitt to do pretty much all the defensive work, as much he has improved and as good as he was last season.

As others have suggested above, I suspect Nolan will be forced at some point to add an extra midfielder and play 4-1-3-2, 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. In previous years I was dead against such formations because we didn't have enough goal-scoring potential amongst the wide forwards (or the centre-forwards for that matter!), but the records of Boldewijn, Thomas, Dennis and Hemmings suggest they can all put the ball in the net, so these formations are potentially more viable than they have been in the past.

You could argue that football is all about mini-partnerships around the pitch, and there are question marks about all of ours. Other than the best central midfield combo, we are also yet to see if Dennis and Hemmings can work as a duo. Neither looks like a target man, so how is that going to work with our habit of going long? Then there’s the centre half pairing: Can Hall not displace either Duffy or Brisley and add a bit more pace at the back? An interesting few months ahead as we find out. We’ll also learn if KN has any tactical Plan B other than just swapping the wingers around.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    You could argue that football is all about mini-partnerships around the pitch, and there are question marks about all of ours. Other than the best central midfield combo, we are also yet to see if Dennis and Hemmings can work as a duo. Neither looks like a target man, so how is that going to work with our habit of going long? Then there’s the centre half pairing: Can Hall not displace either Duffy or Brisley and add a bit more pace at the back? An interesting few months ahead as we find out. We’ll also learn if KN has any tactical Plan B other than just swapping the wingers around.
    I think Dennis and Hemmings will be fine..I say that because I was very impressed with Hemmings on Saturday. He didn’t see a lot of the ball but when he did it was a result of dropping into the hole..if Dennis plays on the shoulder he’ll definitely benefit from that kind of unselfish work.

But...

Vaughan won’t work in the 442..He’ll need 2 water carriers around him. I can see Hewitt and Kellett when fit..younger legs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123