+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player Ratings and thoughts from Saturday....

Player Ratings and thoughts from Saturday....

First of all, it is very, very early days and we are a side in transition. I think most should be aware of that.

However, there were some areas for concern on Saturday, that even had we won would have only papered over the cracks...

Here's me thoughts on player ratings.

Johnstone - 5
    Had no chance with either goal but didn't have a lot to do. Seemed rushed and panicky with his distribution. Hopefully they were debut nerves. Overall, I'm very happy we have him over Foster considering he is young for a keeper, and has lots of promise. Just work on that distribution lad..

Nyom - 6
    Probably the pick of our defenders. Although our defence was a mess on Saturday. He didn't get beaten once and was a threat going forward. Seems to kop a lot of stick from the crowd. I think he'll do okay at Championship level.

Bartley - 5.5
    Both centre halves were very poor, didn't like the way he was agitating at other players early in the game for reasons I couldn't work out. Positionally poor and should have stopped the cross for the first goal. At least showed some urgency on the ball when we were trying to win the game. Its only his 1st game, so like Johsntone, hopefully its first match nerves and I'll judge both over a longer timeframe

Hegazi - 4
    Poor game. Didn't seem mentally on it. Positionally poor. Beaten in the air every time. Missed 3 sitters. Disappointing because he's a better player than that

Gibbs - 4
    As above, with exception to the 3 sitters.

Barnes - 6.5
    Scored an amazing goal. Lots of promise. Worked hard and definite upgrade on Mcclean. Kept trying to cut inside from the left every time which the defender knew 1st half. Switched sides and scored a worldy. Maybe we should put him on the right or even centrally...

Phillips - 7.
    Albion MOTM in my opinion. Wanted the ball, drove at defenders, put good crosses in.

Brunt - 6
    Did okay. Always a threat on set pieces. Usually tidy in possesion.

Livermore - 3
    Am I being overly harsh here? I just can't work out what he brings us apart from simple sideways or backwards passes. Any forward pass he loses the ball. He doesn't get about the pitch much. He offers us nothing going forward. There is a reason why there's no interest in him. I'd rather us have a young kid on the park instead of him. I don't like slating players, so I'll just say he was very ineffective.

Rodriguez - 4
    Awful game. I thought he would pretty much have a free role behind HRK where he could play 'in the pocket'. He works hard but in the wrong areas and chooses the wrong options when he does have the ball.

HRK - 4
    Another one who had an awful game. Pushed off the ball to easily. Didn't hold the ball up. Him and Jrod didn't really offer us anything.

Overall, I'm more disappointed in Gibbs/Jrod and Hegazi because I actually rate those players. Livermore and HRK I don't rate, so their poor performances are no surprise.

Defensively, our positioning was all over the place. They couldn't handle any crosses or high balls put into the box. Even goal kicks from the Bolton keeper were causing us problems. We really need Dawson back as soon as possible and it highlights the need not to keep him.

Going forwards we were poor, the only times we looked like scoring were from set pieces or a pot shot from outside the box. We weren't good enough to break them down in open play.

I'm not a big one for match stats but they are telling here. We had 72% possession, which was mostly us passing it around at the back slowly. There was a clear lack of urgency. And we had 20 shots, only 3 were on target. Most of were from 30 yards out which sailed harmlessly wide or over. We're not making good decisions int he final third with our final ball or shot.

On the contrary, we are only 1 game in. Big Dave has got my backing for a good while. I know we're trying to reshape the squad and it will take time. I just hope we learn our lessons quickly. I always thought this would be a tough league, and as badly as we played on Saturday I don't think we deserved to lose (a draw was probably fair) and we probably would have won had Hegazi taken one or two of his chances.

Onto Forest, onwards and upwards! There's no doubt it will be a hard season, but I reckon most of us knew that anyway. Keep the faith!

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post
    First of all, it is very, very early days and we are a side in transition. I think most should be aware of that.

However, there were some areas for concern on Saturday, that even had we won would have only papered over the cracks...

Here's me thoughts on player ratings.

Johnstone - 5
    Had no chance with either goal but didn't have a lot to do. Seemed rushed and panicky with his distribution. Hopefully they were debut nerves. Overall, I'm very happy we have him over Foster considering he is young for a keeper, and has lots of promise. Just work on that distribution lad..

Nyom - 6
    Probably the pick of our defenders. Although our defence was a mess on Saturday. He didn't get beaten once and was a threat going forward. Seems to kop a lot of stick from the crowd. I think he'll do okay at Championship level.

Bartley - 5.5
    Both centre halves were very poor, didn't like the way he was agitating at other players early in the game for reasons I couldn't work out. Positionally poor and should have stopped the cross for the first goal. At least showed some urgency on the ball when we were trying to win the game. Its only his 1st game, so like Johsntone, hopefully its first match nerves and I'll judge both over a longer timeframe

Hegazi - 4
    Poor game. Didn't seem mentally on it. Positionally poor. Beaten in the air every time. Missed 3 sitters. Disappointing because he's a better player than that

Gibbs - 4
    As above, with exception to the 3 sitters.

Barnes - 6.5
    Scored an amazing goal. Lots of promise. Worked hard and definite upgrade on Mcclean. Kept trying to cut inside from the left every time which the defender knew 1st half. Switched sides and scored a worldy. Maybe we should put him on the right or even centrally...

Phillips - 7.
    Albion MOTM in my opinion. Wanted the ball, drove at defenders, put good crosses in.

Brunt - 6
    Did okay. Always a threat on set pieces. Usually tidy in possesion.

Livermore - 3
    Am I being overly harsh here? I just can't work out what he brings us apart from simple sideways or backwards passes. Any forward pass he loses the ball. He doesn't get about the pitch much. He offers us nothing going forward. There is a reason why there's no interest in him. I'd rather us have a young kid on the park instead of him. I don't like slating players, so I'll just say he was very ineffective.

Rodriguez - 4
    Awful game. I thought he would pretty much have a free role behind HRK where he could play 'in the pocket'. He works hard but in the wrong areas and chooses the wrong options when he does have the ball.

HRK - 4
    Another one who had an awful game. Pushed off the ball to easily. Didn't hold the ball up. Him and Jrod didn't really offer us anything.

Overall, I'm more disappointed in Gibbs/Jrod and Hegazi because I actually rate those players. Livermore and HRK I don't rate, so their poor performances are no surprise.

Defensively, our positioning was all over the place. They couldn't handle any crosses or high balls put into the box. Even goal kicks from the Bolton keeper were causing us problems. We really need Dawson back as soon as possible and it highlights the need not to keep him.

Going forwards we were poor, the only times we looked like scoring were from set pieces or a pot shot from outside the box. We weren't good enough to break them down in open play.

I'm not a big one for match stats but they are telling here. We had 72% possession, which was mostly us passing it around at the back slowly. There was a clear lack of urgency. And we had 20 shots, only 3 were on target. Most of were from 30 yards out which sailed harmlessly wide or over. We're not making good decisions int he final third with our final ball or shot.

On the contrary, we are only 1 game in. Big Dave has got my backing for a good while. I know we're trying to reshape the squad and it will take time. I just hope we learn our lessons quickly. I always thought this would be a tough league, and as badly as we played on Saturday I don't think we deserved to lose (a draw was probably fair) and we probably would have won had Hegazi taken one or two of his chances.

Onto Forest, onwards and upwards! There's no doubt it will be a hard season, but I reckon most of us knew that anyway. Keep the faith!
    Yes can’t disagree there mate.

We are c r a p.

Johnstone - 5
    Had no chance with either goal...............

.............Onto Forest, onwards and upwards! There's no doubt it will be a hard season, but I reckon most of us knew that anyway. Keep the faith!
    This was probably a highly informative post but I wouldn't know as I stopped reading at 'Had no chance with either goal'.

Pushed for time to be honest but I completely disagree with your premise.

If Johnstone had 'no chance with either goal' then it's because he dived in slow motion.

Both 'attempts' were infinitely stoppable.

Agree with the last bit.

TTFN and COYB .

The match report said 6 subs, why only 6, 7 is allowed I believe?

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    This was probably a highly informative post but I wouldn't know as I stopped reading at 'Had no chance with either goal'.

Pushed for time to be honest but I completely disagree with your premise.

If Johnstone had 'no chance with either goal' then it's because he dived in slow motion.

Both 'attempts' were infinitely stoppable.

Agree with the last bit.

TTFN and COYB .
    Granted, I didn't realise how much of an essay I had written until I posted it!

I guess its all opinions, I would place more fault with the defenders in front of him for both goals.

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure we had 7...

Granted, I didn't realise how much of an essay I had written until I posted it!

I guess its all opinions, I would place more fault with the defenders in front of him for both goals.
    I'd suggest both goals were the culmination of a not particularly funny (from our perspective) comedy of errors.

I can appreciate that Bolton supporters and players alike must have been pissing themselves though .

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    Morrison, Myhill, Townsend, Barry, Adarabioyo, Harper and Burke.

Watching the replays last night I couldn’t believe how poor Johnstone’s footwork was .....he went down slower than my wife!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)