+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How can anyone not like Warne?

The debates about our performance on Saturday against Brentford have been done to death.

All I'll add is, back in August 02 on the opening day of the season, the divisions' expected whipping boys Rotherham United travelled to Millwall. We beat them 6-0. It remained the highest away win of the season for all teams.

We finished a respectable 15th, Millwall finished 9th. If we apply the same logic as some on here then based on that opening day score we should have won the league with 100 points and Millwall should have been rock bottom.

Lets just be calm and let things settle before we start to base the entire season around the opening fixture

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Not having a go but if you go on that assumption what happens to use then when we meet a better side than Brentford.
    I think that’s where it all goes wrong.

What is a better side? Is it a side that on paper is theoretically better, has higher paid players or is a club with a tradition of being good?

More often than not that is the case but on match day it’s still 11 v 11 and these “better” teams can be beaten.

The secret of survival in the Championship is setting up your side to negate the strengths, tactics and formations of the opposition on a match by match basis. Every match is different.

On Saturday Warne picked a side he liked the look of, not a side capable of nullifying the threats Brentford posed.

Had we won on Saturday ie pinched a 1-0 win then the temptation would be to keep the same side v Ipswich expecting a similar success. That’s where the mistakes are made because the Brentford style is very different to the Ioswuch style of play.

The old phrase for it is “horses for courses” something we don’t follow.

We need to do more homework and set up our team accordingly and not pick players because they are great guys and served us well last season.

I've no idea why anyone wouldn't like him, you can tell how hard he gets the players to work and what he did last season shows a lot. But it's not just not liking him it goes beyond that when folk make stuff up and twist what he says to have a go at him.
    There's successful managers that shout and scream (and a lot of unsuccessful ones too), but that isn't the only way and it doesn't mean the ones that don't are push overs.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss View Post
    I've no idea why anyone wouldn't like him, you can tell how hard he gets the players to work and what he did last season shows a lot. But it's not just not liking him it goes beyond that when folk make stuff up and twist what he says to have a go at him.
    There's successful managers that shout and scream (and a lot of unsuccessful ones too), but that isn't the only way and it doesn't mean the ones that don't are push overs.
    You have to like Warney for his shear honesty,personally i didn't want him as our manager,and i voiced my opinion on here saying as much,the one thing that stood out to me,in his post match interview,was for a lot of praise for Brentford,and what a great team they were,with some fantastic players,he followed that,by saying if i end up managing a team of players like that then ace,well unless he gets very fortunate,with some of the younger players he signs,that will not happen for him at RUFC,he must know that deep down,so it begs the question to me,that PW,is an ambitious manager,and he would relish the chance,to manage a bigger and better club than us,so for all his popularity amongst our fans,he will be off if the opportunity arises,lets not forget the only loyalty comes from the fans,nobody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda_Hugg_n_Kiss View Post
    I’d be surprised to find anyone who doesn’t like Warney.
    You’ll always find some abuse/moaning/ fans especially when we lose, that’s reality
    Yes you'll always find a moron or two but that’s the minority which some forget

The point I was making earlier using Warnock as an example was put possibly awkwardly and taken the wrong way .

Warne fixed RUFC last season by drawing the players in towards himself and creating a tight environment , he's very close to his players and staff and that worked very well last season .

However close to the players can also create problems further down the line , it can make it extremely difficult to move them on or leave them out of the team , they are his boys and Wood was rewarded with a new two year deal at 33 years of age because of his efforts last season and not possibly because he's capable at championship level .

That's slightly naive management in my opinion and my point was that Warnock would have thanked the players for their efforts last season and then moved a good number on , these are tough decisions but they need to be made in the interests of the club .

You have to be ruthless in football at times , the club comes first and his own career too is defined by the players .

Warnock isn't liked , he's respected and that's why he's survived so long in this game and pretty successful at moderate clubs working on moderate budgets .

"We need to do more homework and set up our team accordingly and not pick players because they are great guys and served us well last season."

Well, the way Paul Warne manages our club and recruits dictates that all the players are great guys. Lets not forget that this was the first game of the season. Did you expect him to make 6 or 7 changes to a side that had just got us promoted? To me he was on a loser anyway because if he had done that and lost the moan would have been "why make all those changes". He did do his homework and on this occasion it did not come off. 45 games to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Galley On View Post
    "We need to do more homework and set up our team accordingly and not pick players because they are great guys and served us well last season."

Well, the way Paul Warne manages our club and recruits dictates that all the players are great guys. Lets not forget that this was the first game of the season. Did you expect him to make 6 or 7 changes to a side that had just got us promoted? To me he was on a loser anyway because if he had done that and lost the moan would have been "why make all those changes". He did do his homework and on this occasion it did not come off. 45 games to go!
    I'm going to get criticised here for talking about my club but I'm only using it as an example .

Both Andy Ritchie and David Flitcroft had a similar style , very close to the players and created a tight environment , it worked for a season and then the wheels fell off , big time .

Ritchie had to be sacked despite getting us promoted months earlier because he stuck with his players who simply weren't good enough .

Getting tight to players can blind you , the historical reference is 6 or 7 of your squad aren't good enough at this level and yet they are still at your club .

I'm looking at this as a neutral guys and not having a pop at your club .

Quite a few needed to go this summer to give you the best possible opportunity , it's the players out there and their ability that determines results , Warne's influence only goes so far .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I'm going to get criticised here for talking about my club but I'm only using it as an example .

Both Andy Ritchie and David Flitcroft had a similar style , very close to the players and created a tight environment , it worked for a season and then the wheels fell off , big time .

Ritchie had to be sacked despite getting us promoted months earlier because he stuck with his players who simply weren't good enough .

Getting tight to players can blind you , the historical reference is 6 or 7 of your squad aren't good enough at this level and yet they are still at your club .

I'm looking at this as a neutral guys and not having a pop at your club .

Quite a few needed to go this summer to give you the best possible opportunity , it's the players out there and their ability that determines results , Warne's influence only goes so far .
    The trouble is if Warne moved players on he isn't being given the money to bring appreciably better ones in so he really is between a rock and a hard place.
    He knows most of the current squad pretty well and may think a few of them can step up to give us a fighting chance of staying up.
    Our recruitment budget is so small that he really doesn't have too many options at the moment.
    Our chairman has said that lessons have been learned from the mistakes that were made the last team we were in the Championship but there isn't much evidence to show that's the case so far.
    Time will tell.
    UTM.

There's another thing to factor in:

TS has spoken on numerous occasions about building a "band of brothers". A group that is created, nurtured and which goes on the journey together.

The philosophy therefore comes from the top.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast