+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T When will Rotherham town centre disappear...

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Looks like some posts have been removed Brin.
    Mellow, yes they have pal. Probably something to do with my ‘some breed’ point.

However, maybe the one who complained isn’t man enough to apologise for my correct posting on the Asian women demanding a 100%
    ban and No men to be allowed while they are using the facilities. This is a municipal pool to be used by everyone and no white women have ever asked for a similar ban but Rotherham borough council have allowed this to happen.

If you get the chance read last weeks Advertiser and even a lady, non Asian, has written in to complain about this.

I’m still waiting for my apology but I don’t expect anything from the complative. Talk about egg on his face!

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post

However, maybe the one who complained isn’t man enough to apologise for my correct posting on the Asian women demanding a 100%
    ban and No men to be allowed while they are using the facilities. This is a municipal pool to be used by everyone and no white women have ever asked for a similar ban but Rotherham borough council have allowed this to happen.

If you get the chance read last weeks Advertiser and even a lady, non Asian, has written in to complain about this.

I’m still waiting for my apology but I don’t expect anything from the complative. Talk about egg on his face!
    “Rotherham Council have allowed this to happen”. Linked to asian residents

Seems familiar some how.

I don't read the advertiser much anymore but if this is true then I agree with you Brin.

tic toc, I'm waiting for my apology or won't you admit you are wrong?
    Lol.

Please explain the reason why you felt the need to turn this into yet another race / regious hate thread?

Equally I dont understand why you found it relevant to link it to my post on retail. Maybe you can enlighten me.

(Although it appears some posts have been deleted.)

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Wrong again! The only way to for retailers to compete is to completely overhaul the rent and rates structure its killing many businesses and stopping new ones developing
    Of course rent and rates are a factor. But you missed my point totally. The biggest factor is that we are changing how we shop. The high street is being hit by serious competition from retail parks (with easy access and parking) and online retail (cheaper more convenient).

Like I said, 45% of high street retailer are in serious financial trouble. Its more about falling sales and increased cost prices (due to the fall in pound that cant be passed on to the customer). Sports Direct quoted exchange rate and fall in share price of Debenhams as the biggest reasons for drop in pre tax profit in their last report.

I cant think of any sectors I'd open up as an independent in a high street - even with free rent and rates (except maybe very niche in specific locations).

I get that for small independents rents and rates are a bigger proportion of turnover and will impact harder. Independents have been squeezed out of the retail market space by the big boys and malls looking solely to chains so they maintain image.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Of course rent and rates are a factor. But you missed my point totally. The biggest factor is that we are changing how we shop. The high street is being hit by serious competition from retail parks (with easy access and parking) and online retail (cheaper more convenient).

Like I said, 45% of high street retailer are in serious financial trouble. Its more about falling sales and increased cost prices (due to the fall in pound that cant be passed on to the customer). Sports Direct quoted exchange rate and fall in share price of Debenhams as the biggest reasons for drop in pre tax profit in their last report.

I cant think of any sectors I'd open up as an independent in a high street - even with free rent and rates (except maybe very niche in specific locations).

I get that for small independents rents and rates are a bigger proportion of turnover and will impact harder. Independents have been squeezed out of the retail market space by the big boys and malls looking solely to chains so they maintain image.
    I covered this in my first post regarding town centres being destinations for Attractions, F&B and Leisure, a simple example is on match days all F&B outlets excel. A strong plan combining strategy that incorporates the above will work, at the moment Rotherham will have a few days a year that will be classified as busy, the annual show, every home game and the beer festival. Sheffield is busy all summer as there are better F&B offerings and more entertainment.

What we lack:-

No cinemas - the council have spent £32,000 on consultants who on 4 occasions told them this was a major priority, 10 years later no cinema
    No theatre - the civic needs knocking down
    No major F&B chains - these normally come when you have the above in place
    No major event planning - we have Clifton park but all we get is a show every year and four deckchairs and a bucket of sand.
    No major hotel chains - see all of the above

The only reason councils have to use consultants is they don't get access to grants if they don't

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    The only reason councils have to use consultants is they don't get access to grants if they don't
    Plus we must remember that to justify the fee they get the consultant isn't going to write a report that says " in my opinion what you have now is the best it's likely to be"

They will pad out the report with the usual buzz words and waffle you see on social media (LGBT being the latest one) and fill it with aspirations with no suggestion on how something can be delivered or paid for.

The other route is to waste money on a public consultation. Rotherham have just had one of those about household waste collections. The response was quite good but there was quite a wide rejection of some of the proposals. This made no difference though because the Council voted to still bring in the changes that the majority of people didn't want. But hey-ho they ticked that box on consultation. Money was wasted though on what was always going to be a foregone conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    I covered this in my first post regarding town centres being destinations for Attractions, F&B and Leisure, a simple example is on match days all F&B outlets excel. A strong plan combining strategy that incorporates the above will work, at the moment Rotherham will have a few days a year that will be classified as busy, the annual show, every home game and the beer festival. Sheffield is busy all summer as there are better F&B offerings and more entertainment.

What we lack:-

No cinemas - the council have spent £32,000 on consultants who on 4 occasions told them this was a major priority, 10 years later no cinema
    No theatre - the civic needs knocking down
    No major F&B chains - these normally come when you have the above in place
    No major event planning - we have Clifton park but all we get is a show every year and four deckchairs and a bucket of sand.
    No major hotel chains - see all of the above
    Once again though he council gets the blame, fact is that the council is obviously trying to get things moving regarding all the things you listed but get thwarted at every turn by the power of Sheffield objecting, but it's our council that gets the blame...

Clifton park is a great asset, and the Rotherham show is a huge event, which takes hundreds of hours of council manhours, alongside hundreds of man hours of volunteers, and thats ALL we get gm? please give credit where it's due eh

Sheffield objecting is no reason for rolling over and accepting it.

Sheffield has it's own issues and is similarly a dump.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast