+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T When will Rotherham town centre disappear...

How has the move gone ? Exactly where are you living now ?

Be nice for an invester to build something like donnys frenchgate in the town...outside shops would spring up all over then..how many times have we had artists impressions on different schemes for forge island which have never come off...wellgate is becoming a scary area now...hardly any pubs in town..hardly any shops...

Yes, when the truth is put forward it offends some folk but it’s factual. Wake up and face facts.

If you think my post on the swimming pool is incorrect then read last weeks Advertiser especially the Editors page. When you’ve read the truthful facts, post your apology I look forward to reading it.
    Last edited by frogmiller; 08-08-2018 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Like all town centres up and down the country, it is dying as a shopping destination. Its not about rent and rates - we are changing how we shop. 45% of high street retailers are in serious financial trouble.

I hope the council continue its evolution into town housing and a leisure facility.
    Wrong again! The only way to for retailers to compete is to completely overhaul the rent and rates structure its killing many businesses and stopping new ones developing

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Wrong again! The only way to for retailers to compete is to completely overhaul the rent and rates structure its killing many businesses and stopping new ones developing
    I watched a report on town and city centre recently where it was suggested that the way forward for them was entertainment. The overwhelming figure on the subject was the ammount paid in business rates by the business occupants compared to other businesses outside the cities and towns.
    Something like a third of all business rates come from city and town centres.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I watched a report on town and city centre recently where it was suggested that the way forward for them was entertainment. The overwhelming figure on the subject was the ammount paid in business rates by the business occupants compared to other businesses outside the cities and towns.
    Something like a third of all business rates come from city and town centres.
    I'd agree that the way forward is entertainment. The idea of getting more people into the town centre through shopping is long gone, espeically with Parkgate and Meadowhall not too far away. As time goes on more and more people will turn to online shopping as we are already seeing, so it just isn't feasible

I think we should develop more bars/pubs/restaurants/cinema/crazy golf/bowling to attract more people into the centre. I know I'd rather go there than over-crowded, over-priced Centertainment. I also think they should make around the ground a West Street/Division Street style area, lined with individual pubs and restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Donmiller View Post
    I'd agree that the way forward is entertainment. The idea of getting more people into the town centre through shopping is long gone, espeically with Parkgate and Meadowhall not too far away. As time goes on more and more people will turn to online shopping as we are already seeing, so it just isn't feasible

I think we should develop more bars/pubs/restaurants/cinema/crazy golf/bowling to attract more people into the centre. I know I'd rather go there than over-crowded, over-priced Centertainment. I also think they should make around the ground a West Street/Division Street style area, lined with individual pubs and restaurants.
    We're up against a beast when it comes to developing Rotherham. Sheffield will and has oppose everything from an ice cream van to something as grand as a theatre and all to protect their city centre.
    Each town will have the same problem with the neigbouring town objecting.

When the rates issues are sorted then the land lords can convert the flats above the shops into good quality dwellings then the need for green belt house building will reduce. People will live nearer the entertainment provided and take more care of it leading to added value and they'll be nicer places to visit and live.

Very sad to see how it is now.Was a smashing little town when I was growing up during the 70's/80's and was always busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Yes, when the truth is put forward it offends some folk but it’s factual. Wake up and face facts.

If you think my post on the swimming pool is incorrect then read last weeks Advertiser especially the Editors page. When you’ve read the truthful facts, post your apology I look forward to reading it.
    tic toc, I'm waiting for my apology or won't you admit you are wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    tic toc, I'm waiting for my apology or won't you admit you are wrong?
    Looks like some posts have been removed Brin.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast