+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Strikers of my time

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    Martin Butler was underrated. That hat-trick against a top drawer Norwich team at Millmoor was a cracker as he bullied them all afternoon.
    If I remember Butler replaced Lee. His quality helped keep us in the Championship one season. His illness the following year caused big problems because we didnt have the money to replace him.

Williamson and Mendonca were excellent together.

Druce anyone? Brilliant on loan with a goal a game so had to be sign or McKewan would have been linched. He didn't want to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Williamson and Mendonca were excellent together.

Druce anyone? Brilliant on loan with a goal a game so had to be sign or McKewan would have been linched. He didn't want to keep him.
    Think Danny Bergara was manager who signed Druce.
    Druce was an injury prone player and initially looked good. As soon as we signed him permanently his injuries flared up again and that was it... another case of "How did he pass the medical?" Maybe we were so desperate at the time, he never had one?

Strikers in my time from 1948 to present and difficult to pick the best because they were all very special
    Walter Ardron
    Jack Shaw
    Ronnie Burke
    Trevor Phillips
    Bobby Williamson
    Ronnie Moore
    Sean Goater
    Adam Le Fondre
    Favourite player Jack Grainger and it's been a privalage to watch these great players in their time with the Millers

Quote Originally Posted by hotun View Post
    Strikers in my time from 1948 to present and difficult to pick the best because they were all very special
    Walter Ardron
    Jack Shaw
    Ronnie Burke
    Trevor Phillips
    Bobby Williamson
    Ronnie Moore
    Sean Goater
    Adam Le Fondre
    Favourite player Jack Grainger and it's been a privalage to watch these great players in their time with the Millers
    Very surprised you missed Albert Bennett off your list Hotun, I started 10yrs after you but in my opinion only Ronnie gets anywhere near Albert in the great centre-forward stakes!!!! U.T.M.

Thought about Albert Bennett Alan Lee Mark Robins and John Cole but it's hard to pick when we have had so many good forwards.I once tried to pick a best eleven post-war and gave up,what some people don't realize that for a small town club we have always punched above our weight simply because we have had so many great players,my club all my life and supported like many many more through good and bad times

Albert Bennett - England U-23 international
    Alan Lee - Rep. Ireland international
    Mark Robins - England U-21 international (before he joined us)
    John Cole? - John McCole? (too young to have seen him play)
    Last edited by mikemiller; 12-08-2018 at 09:22 AM.

John McCole think he hada bad injury might have finished his career

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345