+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: o/t Artists from Rotherham

o/t Artists from Rotherham

Let's get the predictable joke out of the way first shall we?

" I dunno about artists but there a plenty of p iss artists about" ( ho ho ho)

Okay now to serious matters.

How many famous artists ( painting, sketching , sculpture) have come from Rotherham?

Do you know any good local artists?

Do you think as a town we produce enough artists?

If not, why not?

I've mentioned it before but Rotherham was once actually up there with Oxford and Cambridge as one of the leading academic centres of England, this was up until Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries, so blame him because things could have been very different.

One sculptor from Rotherham I can find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_Makeig-Jones

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post

How many famous artists ( painting, sketching , sculpture) have come from Rotherham?

If not, why not?
    This part of the world isnt famous for producing such people, we are more renowned for digging record breaking tonnages of anthracite from a big hole in the ground and being able to brag about finding the cheapest holiday online

Quote Originally Posted by the_idiotb_stardson View Post

If not, why not?

Not sure if she was born in Rotherham, but the world famous wildlife artist Pollyanna Pickering started out at Rotherham Arts college

Sean Bean is the most famous person to go to RCAT though and he isn't an artist.

If we broaden out to creative people you have Brian Blessed from Mexborough Also actress Liz white Another fine artist who lives locally and still works called Chris Slater look him up - he’s out and about every day and does the most fantastic oil paintings. Also Liz Churton who is an illustrator and artist - Margaret Clarkson artist - Chris Moore illustrator. Prof Chris Atton

Charles Sergeant Jagger

Sculptor born in Kilnhurst.

Designed the soldiers on the war memorial in London I think.

Mel Davis (or Davies?) is a local artist, think he does mostly paintings. Also a guitar tutor. Talented fella by all accounts.