+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Luther Wildin

Luther Wildin

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before, but noticed that Luther Wildin started for Stevenage on Saturday. Was very impressed with him at Nuneaton last season and not surprised in the least that a League club has taken a punt on him. Maybe it's down to finances, but sometimes clubs are too hasty in releasing players.

He was one of many young players that we have released in recent years that many scream are far too good to be got rid of. He is the only one that I know of who has made it back in to league football.

If that is the case why did we not keep Elliott Hodge? Signed for a League 1 club.
    It has everything to do with money and most of the Notts squad need to be capable of 1st team football yesterday. We simply can’t afford to completely fill our squad with players that ‘may be good enough’ in a couple of years. I think it is more evident with the young lads Notts have brought to the club, Patching, Crawford and Dengde He are all capable of breaking into the match day squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    If that is the case why did we not keep Elliott Hodge?
    Due to who his dad is, Elliott Hodge has had his chances at many and various clubs, all but one (Notts) were non-league. He is now 22 years-old and not many footballers of that age have been "overlooked" for so long and still made it professionally. We'll see how long he lasts at Burton Albion when old red Nigel Clough does old red team-mate Steve Hodge a favour and chances his lad.

Laxton, my question was in relation to whether we should have kept a player because he joined another League side. It was NOT my opinion.
    Notts have signed young player after young player in the last decade or so, with how many making the grade?

As I have mentioned on here before there have been many young players released before they have been given a proper chance. The Academy have had decent players in Spiess, McGowan, Hall and others in the past. Unfortunately when signed as young pros they haven't received the right support. Wildin is another one of these. Don't talk about money as they are on peanuts and yes you are right Hodge and Saunders were probably signed so AH and Fletcher could chat with their dads! They were not good enough. Howes, He have been at the club for years and have a chance. It's a shame the Academy is in a mess and this comes from a supporter that turns up at Highfields on Saturday mornings to see these young players and have done for 9 years, it seemed to be going in the right direction a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by McCullochisGod View Post
    As I have mentioned on here before there have been many young players released before they have been given a proper chance. The Academy have had decent players in Spiess, McGowan, Hall and others in the past. Unfortunately when signed as young pros they haven't received the right support. Wildin is another one of these. Don't talk about money as they are on peanuts and yes you are right Hodge and Saunders were probably signed so AH and Fletcher could chat with their dads! They were not good enough. Howes, He have been at the club for years and have a chance. It's a shame the Academy is in a mess and this comes from a supporter that turns up at Highfields on Saturday mornings to see these young players and have done for 9 years, it seemed to be going in the right direction a few years back.
    I can't imagine Darren Fletcher needs players signing so that he can talk to the likes of Saunders and Hodge!

As I have mentioned on here before there have been many young players released before they have been given a proper chance. The Academy have had decent players in Spiess, McGowan, Hall and others in the past.
    The problem is that those who call the club for releasing young players always quote names that end up in non-league football. Doesn't that justify the club's decision to let them go? Regarding Luther Wildin, he impressed me in the development squad games, and I posted on here (along with Piethagoram as I recall) that I thought he was worth a try when we were struggling with Elliott Hewitt playing right back. It will be interesting to see how he gets on at Stevenage.

Why is the academy in a mess, in your opinion, as someone who obviously watches it closely? I've heard the headlines about key folk leaving and teams being cancelled, but where are these problems coming from? If it's true, it seems to go against what Alan Hardy says he most wants to achieve, so I can't imagine he would be happy with the situation.

Ask Hardy where the Academy came in the last audit (he won't answer you). After 3 years of re-starting the Academy was ranked in the top 3 at Category 3. At the last audit it was ranked the worst in the country at category 3 I was informed by a very reliable source. Such a turn over of staff, poor recruitment, and staff not up to the job. But like I said Hardy won't tell you that, he likes to spin and paper over cracks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast