+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newport

Newport

Are we going to come down with a bump? Will we continue to ride the wave? Or will it just be a little anti climax of a draw?
    I'm going for the latter, 1-1

1-1 wouldn’t be the worst result to be honest, but I fancy us to win by 2 goals. So the sun has addled my brain!!

Win at home and draw away=promotion so that'll do me.
    If we win it's a bonus.

Same team, and same tactics then you have to go for a win against teams like Newport. Just hope that the management don`t go negative because it is an away game.

I think we stick with 4-3-3 (or 4-3-1-2)

Bump!

I thought James Jones was our pen taker?

The commentary said Green just placed the ball to the keepers side which he saved easily...

I can't work this out...Did Green not watch the world cup or any decent pen taker?

BLAST the ball as hard as you can and even when the keeper goes the right way he can't save it...That was Kane's strategy..

All the pens i have seen saved are the result of trying to be too cute...

I still can't understand why Jones didn't take it as I thought he was the Pen taker?

One last thing. Does the Manager instruct which player takes any Pen? I think it's essential as the one selected is normally the one who takes them and practices them during the week? I presume so anyway? Players can fall out about pens on the pitch if not..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 11-08-2018 at 09:35 PM.

I assume that Green was the designated penalty taker

Correct Mike always was when he was in rhe team. And should someone tell the management that he has scored with every one? Pathetic. No excuses whatsoever.

If you go on the commentary we were awful. Second in every department Newport dominated. Said there were a number of players who did not seem to be interested. Kept giving the ball away. That Newport were by far the better team, and that Crewe got what they deserved, nothing. Hells bells this was Newport and should have been a comfortable win.

Sounds like my earlier mentioned doubts were correct. That our management went negative because it was an away game. No great surprise there. All successful teams in whichever league play in the same style home and away. They impose themselves on the opponents, and dominate. Time for our management to learn this important fact.

Personally I would give Walker a run in midfield. Have heard he has lost a lot of weight. Is more mobile. competitive and his passing is excellent. It would have been a good idea to give him say 20 minutes yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    Correct Mike always was when he was in rhe team. And should someone tell the management that he has scored with every one? Pathetic. No excuses whatsoever.

If you go on the commentary we were awful. Second in every department Newport dominated. Said there were a number of players who did not seem to be interested. Kept giving the ball away. That Newport were by far the better team, and that Crewe got what they deserved, nothing. Hells bells this was Newport and should have been a comfortable win.

Sounds like my earlier mentioned doubts were correct. That our management went negative because it was an away game. No great surprise there. All successful teams in whichever league play in the same style home and away. They impose themselves on the opponents, and dominate. Time for our management to learn this important fact.

Personally I would give Walker a run in midfield. Have heard he has lost a lot of weight. Is more mobile. competitive and his passing is excellent. It would have been a good idea to give him say 20 minutes yesterday.
    Who'd be a manager, eh? Even if Green had petulantly snatched the ball and spotted it, though when you've been fouled for a penalty you're better advised not to take it, there'd be no complaints from Artell. The reason? a mentor and Elder Statesman can do no wrong in his eyes. Doesn't alter the fact that he seems vastly overrated, as evidenced by his rather manic performance at Carlisle that was lucky to go unpunished. Good job that Charlie was there to convert the sitter he missed last Saturday, too.

It all boils down to money, which can lead to lack of talent, or dodgy behaviour, being countenanced in players because they may then be got on the cheap. Would you want Ched Evans? No, but Fleetwood are keen to have him, and their manager doesn't inspire confidence either. Would you want Anthony Gerrard, sacked by Oldham for his social media posts? No, but Carlisle would, and their manager has previous, and was probably going for a song himself. Would you want to sign for Port Vale? Thought not.

Artell is a rough diamond, but to me he looks touchingly moral. He very quickly left Vale, when he saw what kind of a club it looked. But to get older players on board when they're accustomed to earning so much more, he has to lather on the flattery when he's on the OS. Shaun may have known what he was likely to earn on coming back, but it must have been an unpleasant shock to Green and Hunt. Still, lavish praise no doubt helped to sweeten the deals and get them over the line. Great, maybe though the players do look a bit long in the tooth.

So even if Artell was raging inside that Jonah, in the form of his life, didn't take the pen., you will not hear him criticise Green. He pockets his pride.

The funny thing is that the clubs mentioned above have, supposedly, rich backers. Even little Morecambe, with theie gates sometimes into three figures, had their new ground built for them. If Hassall money did eventuallly arrive, it would be unlikely to make much difference in the players we can tempt. Mr Day, of the Edinburgh Woollen Mill, may chase after the House of Fraser, but Brunton Park continues to decay, the squad shrinks, the loans multiply, and fans continue their protests outside.

Unfortunately, then, the Crewe Alex business plan of paying kids not very much, and not being to move on from the policy of hiring 'knackered old pros' rather than semi-decent ones in their late twenties, early thirties, seems as though it will continue.

One shot on target in the full ninety minutes, getting battered because of our naivety and weakness in midfield, there'll be plenty more days like this. Beginning in a fortnight's time.

Jones was regular penalty taker in 2016/17, he missed most of last season and didn't take a pen when he did play. Green scored one - interestingly by blasting it - and was probably the man in possession. Porter was our other penalty taker last season, and wasn't playing.

By the way Morecambe's ground wasn't built for them - the board sold the old ground to Sainsburys and used the proceeds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast