+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Dundee Roll Call, Rant Thread, Match Thingy and Sh@t

Obliged to RST for remembering David Zdrilic. He was the one in my mind and so memorable it might have taken me until tomorrow lunchtime before I remembered his name.

The distinction between young master Cosgrove and the many names bandied about here was that he was signed as 'one for the future' and not a proven goalscorer as many of the others were. His on-field attitude, probably rather than his current ability, has pushed him to first team appearances before his time and well done to him for that. It would be great to think that we had a strikers' coach who could be the next step in his development (come back Darren ). It's not beyond the bounds of possibility - McKenna in defence, Lewis as a goalkeeper, MacLean, Hayes in their time at Aberdeen all improved. Only strikers seem to go backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by rustlinsweetiepapers View Post
    Obliged to RST for remembering David Zdrilic. He was the one in my mind and so memorable it might have taken me until tomorrow lunchtime before I remembered his name.

The distinction between young master Cosgrove and the many names bandied about here was that he was signed as 'one for the future' and not a proven goalscorer as many of the others were. His on-field attitude, probably rather than his current ability, has pushed him to first team appearances before his time and well done to him for that. It would be great to think that we had a strikers' coach who could be the next step in his development (come back Darren ). It's not beyond the bounds of possibility - McKenna in defence, Lewis as a goalkeeper, MacLean, Hayes in their time at Aberdeen all improved. Only strikers seem to go backwards.
    Signed as one for the future as what definelty not a footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by rustlinsweetiepapers View Post

Agree. I don't think we improved Rooney one bit from the day he signed until the day he left.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilgore trout View Post
    Good man we will sort it out.
    Is this a genuine pint or a bit of a tear-up?

Could it be "The big hit in the Pitt 2"?

Correct. We signed Rooney as a proven goalscorer. He was. Top goalscorer for (at least three) seasons, matched the records of Duncan Shearer and Joe Harper in 20+ goals over the time. Aye, we didn't improve him otherwise he would have gone to Barcelona rather than Salford. I think we got the best years out of him.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Oh, come come.

Just off the top of my heid I can think of Barrie Mitchell, Andy Harrow, Billy Pirie, Willie Watt and Michael Paton.
    Billy Pirie lived in Stoney for a bit, fine enough boy but helluva fond of the peeve.

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    Billy Pirie lived in Stoney for a bit, fine enough boy but helluva fond of the peeve.
    Most of our top performers were Kendo....ffs, please do not go down the route of the holier than though/fannies in here.
    3 points
    sF

Most of the strikers being mentioned here did at least score in a competitive game (unlike Cosgrove & Maynard) which should exclude them from the worst list when there are strikers who haven't...

But to play devil's advocate, I'll bring forth:
    Keith Edwards (who scored in the game against Hibs when someone was injured behind the Beach End with slash wounds)
    Michael Bird (who I don't think ever played)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackjarvis View Post
    Most of our top performers were Kendo....ffs, please do not go down the route of the holier than though/fannies in here.
    3 points
    sF
    Oh I certainly wasn't.

I do mind one incident though.
    I was drinking in the Heugh.
    It was when McNeill was our manager.
    Billy used to come into the Heugh for the odd pint, he was in one night, midweek night, just enjoying a quiet pint.
    Pirie came in, now he was at Dundee at the time, managed by Tommy Gemmell.

Pirie stood with McNeill said hello and was chatting away.
    Pirie necked 3 pints quick style while McNeill was still nursing the same beer.

McNeil goes "Big Tam know you drink like that before training the next day?".

Pirie gave a jocular answer.....but drank up and left.

Quote Originally Posted by BogBrush1903 View Post
    Most of the strikers being mentioned here did at least score in a competitive game (unlike Cosgrove & Maynard) which should exclude them from the worst list when there are strikers who haven't...

But to play devil's advocate, I'll bring forth:
    Keith Edwards (who scored in the game against Hibs when someone was injured behind the Beach End with slash wounds)
    Michael Bird (who I don't think ever played)
    Ludomir Blaha.

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast