+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Boris Johnson and the Freedom of Speech

On 1 practical point, I find it impossible to accept that the wearing of such items doesn't impede the ability to drive a car safely. If my vision was so restricted, I would have to declare it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    On 1 practical point, I find it impossible to accept that the wearing of such items doesn't impede the ability to drive a car safely. If my vision was so restricted, I would have to declare it.
    No idea how restrictive they are, never worn one and not likely to. Not sure they’d be any worse than crash helmets or goggles which racing drivers, tractor drivers and some pilots wear though.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    No idea how restrictive they are, never worn one and not likely to. Not sure they’d be any worse than crash helmets or goggles which racing drivers, tractor drivers and some pilots wear though.
    Use a bit of common sense RA, a helmet has a much bigger viewing area and is a tight fit which moves with the head. I would think that if you turned your head in a burka then the slot would not stay in the best position for viewing. Plus some burkas have mesh to further impede the view. I'm sure if I had tunnel vision, the DVLA would like to know about it.

Also, there are many establishments which demand that motorcyclists remove their helmet before entering the premises, yet allow the burka, why?

Is it just me or have all the niceties of posting (eg adding links, images, using colours, different fonts etc) been removed from this site now?

Use a bit of common sense RA, a helmet has a much bigger viewing area and is a tight fit which moves with the head. I would think that if you turned your head in a burka then the slot would not stay in the best position for viewing. Plus some burkas have mesh to further impede the view. I'm sure if I had tunnel vision, the DVLA would like to know about it.

Also, there are many establishments which demand that motorcyclists remove their helmet before entering the premises, yet allow the burka, why?
    As I said previously Ram...I’ve no idea how much wearing a burka creates ‘tunnel vision’ or to what extent they move with the head. I’ve very limited experience of wearing a crash helmet and would suggest they do restrict peripheral vision a little as do cricket helmets.
    I do know that the wearing of the burka has become a bit of a call to arms for those with a right wing agenda and I think, if I was considering committing a bank robbery, I’d find a crash helmet more useful than a burka.
    All a bit much ado about nothing imo. As I’ve said, I’m not terribly keen on them, but then I have much the same attitude to major tattoos, body piercings and crucifixes and if no harm is being done it’s a case of live and let live for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    As I said previously Ram...I’ve no idea how much wearing a burka creates ‘tunnel vision’ or to what extent they move with the head. I’ve very limited experience of wearing a crash helmet and would suggest they do restrict peripheral vision a little as do cricket helmets.
    I do know that the wearing of the burka has become a bit of a call to arms for those with a right wing agenda and I think, if I was considering committing a bank robbery, I’d find a crash helmet more useful than a burka.
    All a bit much ado about nothing imo. As I’ve said, I’m not terribly keen on them, but then I have much the same attitude to major tattoos, body piercings and crucifixes and if no harm is being done it’s a case of live and let live for me.
    I think if you were Rob a bank then a burka would be perfect. No identification poisoned and easy to conceal and use a firearm, then you could run around a corner and disguard it and blend into the background wearing normal clothing underneath.

I think that I've been reading too many detective novels.

I think if you were Rob a bank then a burka would be perfect. No identification poisoned and easy to conceal and use a firearm, then you could run around a corner and disguard it and blend into the background wearing normal clothing underneath.

I think that I've been reading too many detective novels.
    Not sure about too many detective novels...think you’ve had too much something.
    Is ‘Rob a bank’ any relation to Rob the Ram...and what’s ‘poisoned identification’?

First the 'cartoon crisis' and now this. Only the religion that must not be named could possibly be offended by a jocular remark about dress code. It's a pity those protesting this trivial faux pas weren't so forthcoming in condemning Rotherham and Manchester.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    First the 'cartoon crisis' and now this. Only the religion that must not be named could possibly be offended by a jocular remark about dress code. It's a pity those protesting this trivial faux pas weren't so forthcoming in condemning Rotherham and Manchester.
    Don’t agree.
    1. Why describe the Muslim faith as ‘the religion that can’t be named’? It’s probably more talked about than any other.
    2. Rotherham and Rochdale etc was the fault of a small minority of immigrants - amongst whom were many who described themselves as Muslim - and others, who should have known much better, acting in the misplaced name of political correctness.
    3. Think you’ll find there was just as much sadness amongst the moderate Muslim community following the MEN Arena bombing as there was amongst ordinary Catholics following the IRA bombing in the same city. Only extremists and idiots will try and justify such atrocities.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Sorry gents, but maybe to turn our attention away from the excitement of deadline day, maybe a damp squib isn't so bad.

I don't see what's the big fuss about what he said. It's bleeding obvious!
    I do understand some might find it offensive, but then the proper response should be

' 1 look at Boris Johnson, should erase any doubt that man descended from apes.'

He's a buffoon, a moron, heck, he even makes Donald Trump look like a genius!
    The way he speaks, the mumbling, the choice of words and his mannerisms. God help us, if he becomes Prime Minister.
    Looking down my Facebook feed and there’s an interesting divide. Maybe 90% of those who have a public profile and who have expressed an opinion condemn BJ and defend the right of Muslim women to wear burkas. Of those who are just ‘normal’ people I would guess 95% to 99% who expressed an opinion back Boris’ right to have an opinion AND agree with the point he’s making. That demonstrates yet again the massive disconnect between the elite and the proletariat in this country. He’s made a statement which has from
    What I can see increased his appeal with ‘the great unwashed’ who continue to rail against those who in the past they would have had to doff their caps at.

Yes by the way he does come over as a bit daft

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)