+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Boris Johnson and the Freedom of Speech

OT - Boris Johnson and the Freedom of Speech

Sorry gents, but maybe to turn our attention away from the excitement of deadline day, maybe a damp squib isn't so bad.

I don't see what's the big fuss about what he said. It's bleeding obvious!
    I do understand some might find it offensive, but then the proper response should be

' 1 look at Boris Johnson, should erase any doubt that man descended from apes.'

He's a buffoon, a moron, heck, he even makes Donald Trump look like a genius!
    The way he speaks, the mumbling, the choice of words and his mannerisms. God help us, if he becomes Prime Minister.

Speaks first............... and that's it. No thought. Before or after the fact.

I thought it was quite amusing myself, albeit perhaps lacking in subtlety. Every time I post a letter now, then I will see eyes looking out of the mailbox! If you cant laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?

Wrong in what he said but they should be banned, this is UK 2018. Some children are made to wear these from the age of 4/5 years old.
    I just don't think it's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I thought it was quite amusing myself, albeit perhaps lacking in subtlety. Every time I post a letter now, then I will see eyes looking out of the mailbox! If you cant laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at?
    Exactly, Monsieur, Exactly.

Western society has been built on, among other things, openness (in the main). That means seeing the face of the one you are communicating with. Their facial expression tells you a lot and helps you better interpret the words they speak. We can't do that with Muslims who cover their faces.

Female UK Prime Ministers and even the Queen cover their heads when visiting Muslim countries. They do so to adhere to local custom. A custom that appears nowhere in the Quran and has no basis in Islam. I have yet to understand why Muslims can come here and keep to their custom of face covering for women, something which goes totally against Western custom.

One reason for not allowing the Burkha is that you can't tell if it is a man or a woman behind the veil.

Boris Johnson knows exactly what he’s doing imo...divide and rule by pandering to the views of the stupid and the prejudiced.
    Totally irresponsible and unhelpful comments and the recycling of a very old joke.
    Not entirely keen on the burka myself but how different is it from dark glasses, scarves, hoodies, beards and peaked/baseball caps pulled down to shade the face?
    Yesterday on the news a late middle aged woman was spouting nonsense about how unacceptable the wearing of the burka was...’might be a man under there’ she shrieked whilst wearing the sort of over sized sunglasses that covered her face from the middle of her nose to well above her eyebrows. Oh the irony...and by coincidence, she would have looked much better in a burka!

P.S. Certainly never seen a child wearing a burka MoP and aren’t there lots of examples these days of wondering whether some one is a ‘man or a woman’ MA?
    Last edited by ramAnag; 10-08-2018 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    aren’t there lots of examples these days of wondering whether some one is a ‘man or a woman’ MA?
    Yes, but some butch geezer with a baritone voice in a dress is usually quite easy to spot

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Boris Johnson knows exactly what he’s doing imo...divide and rule by pandering to the views of the stupid and the prejudiced.
    Totally irresponsible and unhelpful comments and the recycling of a very old joke.
    I guess that I too must be stupid and prejudiced then.

What people do in the privacy of their own home is up to them - although ironically this is possible the one place that the Burka is cast aside! What people do when working in people facing jobs (eg in the case I have experienced, as a teller in a bank) is however quite different. To me its quite simple, when interacting with people in a workplace, be they customers or other employees, then the use of the Burkha is unacceptable. if you cannot accept that requirement, then don't take the job.

The complexities of having to deal with a colleague who you cannot see are just too much. How can you be sure it is the same person in there! Skype and conference calls would be pointless, and honestly, can you really say that you can have an open business discussion with a bin bag?

In between these two extremes, I find it hard to determine if its appropriate or not. The underlying problem is of course fear of Islamic jihad type attacks by bombers in the guise of "innocent women", but so far as I am aware, this disguise has not been used YET. We are a secular society, despite the protestations of sundry religions, and I think we should reflect that - I only see the Burka as inflaming divisiveness, and providing a focus for Islamaphobia

The reality is, though, that the Koran merely requires adherents to "dress modestly" and the burka and its derivatives are subsequent developments. predominantly islamic countries such as Turkey banned its use until very recently, Morocco is in a similarly restrictive condition and Azerbaijan (97% Moslem, mostly Shia) has banned its use in schools and universities.

So I think we need to simiiarly restrict its use - rather than an outright ban - eg in the workplace, in schools and universities, the police, the military etc. If someone wants to go to Sainsbury wearing one though, that's probably just about acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I guess that I too must be stupid and prejudiced then.

What people do in the privacy of their own home is up to them - although ironically this is possible the one place that the Burka is cast aside! What people do when working in people facing jobs (eg in the case I have experienced, as a teller in a bank) is however quite different. To me its quite simple, when interacting with people in a workplace, be they customers or other employees, then the use of the Burkha is unacceptable. if you cannot accept that requirement, then don't take the job.

The complexities of having to deal with a colleague who you cannot see are just too much. How can you be sure it is the same person in there! Skype and conference calls would be pointless, and honestly, can you really say that you can have an open business discussion with a bin bag?

In between these two extremes, I find it hard to determine if its appropriate or not. The underlying problem is of course fear of Islamic jihad type attacks by bombers in the guise of "innocent women", but so far as I am aware, this disguise has not been used YET. We are a secular society, despite the protestations of sundry religions, and I think we should reflect that - I only see the Burka as inflaming divisiveness, and providing a focus for Islamaphobia

The reality is, though, that the Koran merely requires adherents to "dress modestly" and the burka and its derivatives are subsequent developments. predominantly islamic countries such as Turkey banned its use until very recently, Morocco is in a similarly restrictive condition and Azerbaijan (97% Moslem, mostly Shia) has banned its use in schools and universities.

So I think we need to simiiarly restrict its use - rather than an outright ban - eg in the workplace, in schools and universities, the police, the military etc. If someone wants to go to Sainsbury wearing one though, that's probably just about acceptable?
    My reference to the ‘stupid and prejudiced’ doesn’t refer to you Parky because your objections are, although debatable, largely logical.
    Johnson’s weren’t and, imo, it ill becomes a recent Foreign Secretary and wannabe PM to resort to ridicule in the way that he did.
    I think there was actually one example of a male terrorist escaping via the use of burka but that is beside the point because doubtless all the other forms of ‘disguise’ mentioned in my previous post have also been used by terrorists and criminals alike, but no one seeks to criticise them.
    What I find worrying is that, as with the Referendum, the likes of Johnson, Banks and Farage will not hesitate to play the ‘sinister, suspicious, alien foreigner’ card in order to win the support of a section of the electorate. It’s happened more and more since the Referendum and the election of Trump which both seem to have somehow made bigotry more acceptable.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)