+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Boris Johnson and the Freedom of Speech

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    The problem with the flag, MoP, both Union Jack and Cross of St. George, is that they have been hijacked by the far right.
    First the National Front, then the BNP and more recently Tommy Robinson and his thugs along with countless other football hooligans have taken to using both flags as emblems of their ‘organisations’ and beliefs.
    I am patriotic to the extent that I’ll support England/GB in all sporting occasions and I am proud of some of our non sporting achievements over the centuries and many of the things we can offer the rest of the World, but I am sure I am not alone in feeling uncomfortable associating myself with a flag that has been besmirched in the way that it has over the last fifty years or so.

I’d like to see Tommy Robinson receive a sword somewhere GUNTERYY36...but not in the form of any knighthood. The man is an irrelevant troublemaking thug imo and it is perhaps better if our ‘conversation’ is at an end.
    So what should we have for a national flag and don't say a blue one with a circle of gold stars!

Quote Originally Posted by Manofpride View Post
    So what should we have for a national flag and don't say a blue one with a circle of gold stars!
    Lol! I’m not really saying there’s anything wrong with the ones we’ve got, just that they’re now associated with thuggish behaviour in a way which, for example, the Welsh and French flags aren’t.
    Not sure how we claim it back.
    Another thing which I don’t really understand is how the Union Jack has become synonymous with being flown in the worst places. It’s not entirely true I know, but as someone who has walked a fair bit of Derbyshire and Staffordshire it’s an almost unwritten rule that the shi**iest farms with the nastiest most irresponsible dog owners are identified by having a Union Jack flown proudly overhead.

Have the Welsh got a flag then?

I think what needs fixing as a priority is our dreadful national anthem, The Scotch, the Welsh etc have their own songs before sporting events but why do the English have to have that boring dirge. We could use Jerusalem, Rule Britannia, Land of Hope & Glory, or even Zadok the Priest - all stirring songs - but no: a montone dah dah dah dah di dah it is. Yuk

mind you we will probably have to use Quami Taranah or Sorude Melliye Jomhuriye Eslâmiye Irân soon enough to appease the likes of RA!!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

I think what needs fixing as a priority is our dreadful national anthem, The Scotch, the Welsh etc have their own songs before sporting events but why do the English have to have that boring dirge. We could use Jerusalem, Rule Britannia, Land of Hope & Glory, or even Zadok the Priest - all stirring songs - but no: a montone dah dah dah dah di dah it is. Yuk

mind you we will probably have to use Quami Taranah or Sorude Melliye Jomhuriye Eslâmiye Irân soon enough to appease the likes of RA!!
    1. Yes...it’s one of the more interesting ones with a dragon on it.
    2. Quite agree about the national anthem...though not your selection of alternatives.
    3. Please don’t deliberately misinterpret me and write such utter bollux...not even in jest.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

I think what needs fixing as a priority is our dreadful national anthem, ....... Yuk

Nah, it's great. The Queen (or King) is the symbol of unity between the Home Nations. She's respected throughout the world. She's the epitome of all things British. Thus it's only proper to let the anthem remain. And it's also played throughout the world where she remains Head of State. They have both their national anthem and the royal anthem (used by the Governor-General)

And I think it's an okay song - music wise. Not too long, easy lyrics and representative of unity she brings to the country as a whole.
    Why in the world should we even contemplate replacing it, when the whole world respects it and instantly knows who it represents when played?

Here's a flag with a dragon on it.

Is this Welsh?

love it!!!

I think that we should use the national anthem where Britain is being represented and when the home nations are playing, it should precede the individual nations anthems. It not right that the English have taken ownership of it. The other nations should also be proud to sing the British anthem.

@ Ramanag (post 60)

Sorry to have upset you. Perhaps I was too abrupt. I should have gone on to explain: I believe Tommy Robinson should get fairer treatment from the media by their being a little more objective in their reporting of him. He has just been thrown in prison on a trumped up charge and tortured while he was in there (he'll probably be sent back there next month). TV has frequently edited his EDL rallies in such a way as to make him appear a racist with no agenda other than to agitate and seek publicity. In fairness to him, he claims he wants to highlight the Rotherham grooming scandal and he is currently being demonised by the establishment for his opinions. Like Donald Trump, all reports on him are negative and portray him in the worst possible light.

Many apologies

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    @ Ramanag (post 60)

Sorry to have upset you. Perhaps I was too abrupt. I should have gone on to explain: I believe Tommy Robinson should get fairer treatment from the media by their being a little more objective in their reporting of him. He has just been thrown in prison on a trumped up charge and tortured while he was in there (he'll probably be sent back there next month). TV has frequently edited his EDL rallies in such a way as to make him appear a racist with no agenda other than to agitate and seek publicity. In fairness to him, he claims he wants to highlight the Rotherham grooming scandal and he is currently being demonised by the establishment for his opinions. Like Donald Trump, all reports on him are negative and portray him in the worst possible light.

Many apologies
    Haven’t ‘upset’ me in the slightest GUNTERYY and no apologies necessary.

You are entitled to your opinion and if you choose to look up to and applaud the likes of Tommy Robinson that’s up to you.
    The facts are however that the man you want to be given a knighthood is a far right activist with convictions for Contempt of Court, Breach of the Peace, Mortgage Fraud and - having been banned from entering the U.S. because of a drugs offence - attempting to enter the U.S. on a false passport.
    That might be the stuff of heroes to you but in my world it makes him a complete arse and, because people like you appear to be taken in by him, an increasingly dangerous one at that.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)