+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Previous scenarios

Previous scenarios

Our club appears to be cyclical.

When I started to follow us in 1968 we'd just won the cup and were doing pretty well in the old first division.

A few years later under Howe we couldn't win a game and went down.

A few fallow years went by until Giles turned up with his keep possesion mentality and we scrambled back up.

Then we did pretty well culminating with the golden age of Regis, Robson, Cunningham et al until retirements, transfers onto better things etc meant we stuggled and went down again and........again. We fought our way back up to the Chump and languished near the bottom until Megson showed up , saved us from relegation and set us on course for the Prem for which we weren't ready for all sorts of reasons.

We went down and came up and went down and came up and stayed up miraculously.
    Then went down and came up and stayed up for several years.

We had a couple of good years under Hodgson and Clarke
    We were on a par with Everton the proverbial also rans. They spent big we didn't (or couldn't).

We staved off relegation for a couple of seasons until after the "best transfer window ever" we went down.

So what's the next point on the graph?

A big hard on hopefully.

I think you will find this is a graph many clubs have followed, not exactly the same but similar, including near neighbours Blues & Wolves.

Don't forget Pulis. We had our second best finish in the Prem under him. You cant cut out the good he did when he first came. Yes it went sour but unless you are Alex Ferguson IT ALWAYS DOES.

Even if we slip down to League 2, I won't get nostalgic for The Pulis Years. No doubt his contract was based on staying in the Prem whatever the cost - but the cost was driving fans away from the Club, possibly forever. Even non-Albion fans wouldn't look me in the eye when I told them who my team was. Boro fans will only suffer him for so long, and I'm already a Boro-hater.
    Nice enough bloke, but I'd rather not hear or see his name again.

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    Even if we slip down to League 2, I won't get nostalgic for The Pulis Years. No doubt his contract was based on staying in the Prem whatever the cost - but the cost was driving fans away from the Club, possibly forever. Even non-Albion fans wouldn't look me in the eye when I told them who my team was. Boro fans will only suffer him for so long, and I'm already a Boro-hater.
    Nice enough bloke, but I'd rather not hear or see his name again.
    Appointed as Boro' boss on December 26th 2017.

Didn't get many takers but a Boro' supporter started a 'Go Fund Me' page in his honour on January 1st 2018 .

https://uk.gofundme.com/tony-pulis-o...er-on-matchday

Pulis did well keeping us up in his first half season. He kept faith with the flair players like Berahino and Sessignon and I started to think I'd been wrong about the bloke when he was at Stoke. Maybe they weren't as boring as I believed them to be.
    After that it was all downhill entertainment wise. Sitting back against a clueless Villa side that were doomed to relegation just about finished me. I think I did one or 2 more games then knocked it on the head.
    I still watched streams whenever I could get them (most matches) but that didn't involve travelling to the ground and back home again and spending a good lump buying a ticket and fuel.
    I know we have fans who want top flight football at any cost but for me the cost of having Pulis in charge was way too high. For me that is not enough, I want entertainment for my money. We had it in the lower leagues from Ardiles, Di Matteo and Mowbray. I was happy then. Even Gould's and Megson's tactics were acceptable as we went out to win games with those 2 in charge. 2 up front every game, wingers doing what wingers do, attacking.
    So, talkSAFT you are right. He drove us away and, although I've yet to rule out a return to the Hawthorns one day it seems more likely that it won't happen.
    The chap I regularly came up with doesn't come any more either.
    I still support the club, still want them to win, still feel happier the evening after a win, but dont feel the disappointment of a defeat like I used to.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    Pulis did well keeping us up in his first half season. He kept faith with the flair players like Berahino and Sessignon and I started to think I'd been wrong about the bloke when he was at Stoke. Maybe they weren't as boring as I believed them to be.
    After that it was all downhill entertainment wise. Sitting back against a clueless Villa side that were doomed to relegation just about finished me. I think I did one or 2 more games then knocked it on the head.
    I still watched streams whenever I could get them (most matches) but that didn't involve travelling to the ground and back home again and spending a good lump buying a ticket and fuel.
    I know we have fans who want top flight football at any cost but for me the cost of having Pulis in charge was way too high. For me that is not enough, I want entertainment for my money. We had it in the lower leagues from Ardiles, Di Matteo and Mowbray. I was happy then. Even Gould's and Megson's tactics were acceptable as we went out to win games with those 2 in charge. 2 up front every game, wingers doing what wingers do, attacking.
    So, talkSAFT you are right. He drove us away and, although I've yet to rule out a return to the Hawthorns one day it seems more likely that it won't happen.
    The chap I regularly came up with doesn't come any more either.
    I still support the club, still want them to win, still feel happier the evening after a win, but dont feel the disappointment of a defeat like I used to.
    My Take Chris was that Tony Pulis would keep us in the Prem UNTIL we could change things for the better. What we did was sack him and replace him with a clueless option. We STILL don't have football that excites us but we are in the championship not the Prem. Big mistake in my opinion. What happens next all remains to be seen. Not too hopeful at the moment.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)