+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving in Dundee on a Friday afternoon

Driving in Dundee on a Friday afternoon

I have just returned from driving to and from Monifieth and witnessed four instances of near accidents by impatient drivers not paying attention to other motorists.
    The first incident took place at the traffic lights at Claypotts heading easterly. A car in the left hand thought that he would move to the other lane immediately in front of me without using his right hand indicator. I had to blast my horn and my wife who was sitting in the front passenger seat remarked that it was the first time that she had heard the car horn being used since we got our car in May 2017.
    There is a limited edition range of Islay cars which have no indicators because on Islay most of the locals do not bother using the indicators when turning left or right or overtaking. It looks like some of the Islay edition cars have also been sold in the Dundee area.
    The second incident took place close to the Ashludie roundabout again heading easterly where a Wickes lorry realised that he was in the wrong lane and barged in front of a car in the right hand lane which like was in the right hand lane prior to driving towards the old Ashludie Hospital. The Wickes lorry was also going this way and turned into Seaview Primary School. If it had been me who had to brake sharply when the Wickes lorry driver had jumped lanes I would have stopped at Seaview PS and given him a piece of my mind.
    The next near accident took place when we were returning back to Dundee and at the Claypotts traffic lights a van coming from the Michelin direction drove through a red light forcing a car heading easterly to brake sharply to avoid hitting this van broadside. I followed this van which had the initials DBS on the rear to the Scott Fyffe roundabout giving it a wide berth.
    Finally at the Mid Craigie roundabout a car shot out of Old Craigie Road in front of me forcing me to brake.
    This motorist was obviously in too much of a hurry to wait until the road was clear before driving onto the roundabout.
    I know that everybody likes to get from A to B but it is better to be late than dead on arrival!

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    I have just returned from driving to and from Monifieth and witnessed four instances of near accidents by impatient drivers not paying attention to other motorists.
    The first incident took place at the traffic lights at Claypotts heading easterly. A car in the left hand thought that he would move to the other lane immediately in front of me without using his right hand indicator. I had to blast my horn and my wife who was sitting in the front passenger seat remarked that it was the first time that she had heard the car horn being used since we got our car in May 2017.
    There is a limited edition range of Islay cars which have no indicators because on Islay most of the locals do not bother using the indicators when turning left or right or overtaking. It looks like some of the Islay edition cars have also been sold in the Dundee area.
    The second incident took place close to the Ashludie roundabout again heading easterly where a Wickes lorry realised that he was in the wrong lane and barged in front of a car in the right hand lane which like was in the right hand lane prior to driving towards the old Ashludie Hospital. The Wickes lorry was also going this way and turned into Seaview Primary School. If it had been me who had to brake sharply when the Wickes lorry driver had jumped lanes I would have stopped at Seaview PS and given him a piece of my mind.
    The next near accident took place when we were returning back to Dundee and at the Claypotts traffic lights a van coming from the Michelin direction drove through a red light forcing a car heading easterly to brake sharply to avoid hitting this van broadside. I followed this van which had the initials DBS on the rear to the Scott Fyffe roundabout giving it a wide berth.
    Finally at the Mid Craigie roundabout a car shot out of Old Craigie Road in front of me forcing me to brake.
    This motorist was obviously in too much of a hurry to wait until the road was clear before driving onto the roundabout.
    I know that everybody likes to get from A to B but it is better to be late than dead on arrival!
    Dinnae let it drive you up the wall.😊

A poster on here likes to toot his horn....a lot....even been known to reach across and toot when he's no driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Returnofrros View Post
    Dinnae let it drive you up the wall.��

A poster on here likes to toot his horn....a lot....even been known to reach across and toot when he's no driving.
    Thank goodness I have my bus pass which results in me only driving occasionally when in Dundee.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    Islay you should invest in a dashboard camera (dashcam). These devices allow you to record the road, and subsequently anything that occurs thereon, both ahead of and behind you in a format that can easily be downloaded to a computer and if required uploaded to any website. Had you had such a device you could have shown the footage of which you talk to the relevant authorities who can make a decision whether to pursue the alleged offenders through the judicial process.

Similar devices known as helmet cameras (helmet cams) are much favoured by some of the most vulnerable road users in our society - cyclists.

I enclose an example of a helmet cam video that subsequently resulted in compensation for the cyclist and another where someone managed to go the wrong way down the off ramp at the old Charleston flyover on the A90 outside Aberdeen causing a lorry to swerve and go off the road.

This slip road and flyover no longer exist as they have now been replaced as part of the AWPR development which should have been open by spring this year but which is not likely to be now opened until October this year. The authorities were very fortunate that Carillion collapsed and we had a very wet winter, they were subsequently able to blame the ridiculous delay on those factors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h2Q3WZDG_g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK9-Ikcu0sY

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Islay you should invest in a dashboard camera (dashcam). These devices allow you to record the road, and subsequently anything that occurs thereon, both ahead of and behind you in a format that can easily be downloaded to a computer and if required uploaded to any website. Had you had such a device you could have shown the footage of which you talk to the relevant authorities who can make a decision whether to pursue the alleged offenders through the judicial process.

Similar devices known as helmet cameras (helmet cams) are much favoured by some of the most vulnerable road users in our society - cyclists.

I enclose an example of a helmet cam video that subsequently resulted in compensation for the cyclist and another where someone managed to go the wrong way down the off ramp at the old Charleston flyover on the A90 outside Aberdeen causing a lorry to swerve and go off the road.

This slip road and flyover no longer exist as they have now been replaced as part of the AWPR development which should have been open by spring this year but which is not likely to be now opened until October this year. The authorities were very fortunate that Carillion collapsed and we had a very wet winter, they were subsequently able to blame the ridiculous delay on those factors.

Lol

Wonder if those in the white car in 2nd clip survived?

Phuck me , moussa has near misses every week

Lol

Wonder if those in the white car in 2nd clip survived?
    Don't think anyone was seriously injured in that one.

Don't think anyone was seriously injured in that one.
    It sounds like I was laughing at somebody possibly getting killed....I wasn't....I was laughing at the general theme of the post.

It sounds like I was laughing at somebody possibly getting killed....I wasn't....I was laughing at the general theme of the post.
    Of course you were

Thank you for your suggestion. I have a friend on Islay who has a dash cam and he has said that if he handed his footage over to the local police they could take half the cars owned by local residents off the Islay roads.
    He even has footage of a local lorry driver speaking on his mobile phone whilst driving his lorry with only one hand on the wheel.
    Goodness knows what would happen if this lorry driver had to serve to avoid a sheep on an Islay road whilst driving with only one hand on the wheel whilst speaking on his mobile phone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)