+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dongda HE sold

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Backs against the wall jobby:

What worries me about Chairmen existing on message boards and Twitter is that they inevitably get into rows with the fans at some point, and the more it escalates, the more disillusioned both become. I believe to this day that Ray Trew started out with good intentions for the club, but he put himself in a position where his communication with fans was too direct, became ever more sensitive to criticism, ever more bitter, and ended up losing interest. This bitterness was reciprocated and it became an unstoppable downwards spiral.

Big Al would be much better off removing himself from such forums and communicating officially through the club, but if he insists on using social media we need to hope he's either much more immune to negativity than Ray Trew was, or that the fans themselves exercise restraint. This Chairman will make mistakes and contradict himself at times like they all do, but I think most would agree the club is still much better off with him in charge than without him.

Ooops.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I won't slate the club.
    I will. So for the first time in what seems like ages, we have a "prospect" and someone offers £5 and he's gone. Why am I not surprised. What a crock of sh1t.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsetts_Pie View Post
    I will. So for the first time in what seems like ages, we have a "prospect" and someone offers £5 and he's gone. Why am I not surprised. What a crock of sh1t.
    Realistically Hardy couldn't have done much about it, especially if the player wanted to go.

If Hardy had refused the transfer the player would've been pissed off and the transfer would've gone through the tribunal. If Hardy got a good deal above the probable tribunal fee then it's sad but it's a no brainer.

This is a good illustration of how less is more when it comes to Twitter though, throwaway comments can easily come back to haunt you.

Disappointing because we won't get the chance to see if he's good enough, but mainly because the fee is 'undisclosed'. This might just turn out to be a good deal by the club but we'll never know simply because we don't know what the deal is. Some seem to be falling into the trap of thinking that Dongda He is a world beater. He might turn out to be, but the reality is that he was never more than a promising kid. Premiership clubs routinely sign up a dozen of his type in the hope that one or two of them might make the grade. I do agree with those who say Alan Hardy should steer clear of social media however. It's not the first time he's ended up looking a bit of a tit, and if he persists with it I'm sure it won't be the last.

I'm certain that Alan Hardy did have no choice and has got the best deal he can for the club. The mistake isn't the deal, it's the Twitter comment earlier that Dongda He would be around a long time, when clearly he could never have been certain about that prediction. To football fans, a passing comment is often interpreted as a solemn pledge. Sooner or later if you're prolific on social media you're bound to write yourself into a contradiction. It's a modern form of communication, but it isn't a professional form of communication.

I'm certain that Alan Hardy did have no choice and has got the best deal he can for the club. The mistake isn't the deal, it's the Twitter comment earlier that Dongda He would be around a long time, when clearly he could never have been certain about that prediction. To football fans, a passing comment is often interpreted as a solemn pledge. Sooner or later if you're prolific on social media you're bound to write yourself into a contradiction. It's a modern form of communication, but it isn't a professional form of communication.
    I don't disagree that he probably had no choice and I agree with you that he made a mistake saying Dongda would be around a long time but he compounded that mistake by being critical of Jack Bearne being sold to Liverpool ("not on my watch" etc).

Now do we have a credible chairman who knows what the score is or an excited kid with a bit of pocket money? As good as his intentions are I'd like to think we have a sensible owner and when he comes out with other comments such as KN being England manager material (well with the quality of some managers England have had then maybe) and that we are in for a treat because he saw a good training session - well it sounds like an excited kid with a bit of pocket money to me - and that is a volatile and worrying situation because of its unpredictability. They are my concerns and in this game it doesn't take long for adulation to turn to vilification.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Now do we have a credible chairman who knows what the score is or an excited kid with a bit of pocket money?
    Probably a bit of both I reckon. Let's give Hardy the credit that he is a successful businessman (hence having the money to buy the club) and he has made plenty of good decisions since taking over, which have helped us to get some upward momentum going. But yes I think there's the excited kid and football fan in there too, which can lead to some unwise comments and occasional mistakes.

To be honest though, a lot of football chairmen have that excited kid element to them. It's what makes an otherwise rational businessman buy a lower league football club in the first place. Clubs like ours rely on finding people who are relatively wealthy, business savvy and ever so slightly insane!

Ah, the good old "Loyal fans" put down. Nice Al, sorry BIG Al.

Probably a bit of both I reckon. Let's give Hardy the credit that he is a successful businessman (hence having the money to buy the club) and he has made plenty of good decisions since taking over, which have helped us to get some upward momentum going. But yes I think there's the excited kid and football fan in there too, which can lead to some unwise comments and occasional mistakes.

To be honest though, a lot of football chairmen have that excited kid element to them. It's what makes an otherwise rational businessman buy a lower league football club in the first place. Clubs like ours rely on finding people who are relatively wealthy, business savvy and ever so slightly insane!
    RT started off the same way and he came with business/accounting acumen and recruiting business experience and there is no doubt he had his heart in the right place to start with.

AH needs a media adviser and to limit his tweets. Prefers to get into arguments than answer some of the more genuine and difficult questions. I just hope he learns before he burns.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast