+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: FA Cup

Eleven ex-Football League clubs playing in FA Cup Qualifying Round 2 yesterday... and some probably have got better FA Cup records than us!

Well it's back to FA Cup duty tomorrow in what I think is that last of the preliminary rounds. True to form on our Road to Wembley, FC Romania succumbed to Beaconsfield Town F.C. who now visit Concord Rangers with the mouthwatering prospect of plum tie against league opposition awaiting the winner.

So MM find ourselves following a team from leafy Buckinghamshire that was not so long ago labeled as the richest town in Britain. A far cry from Rotherham I hear you say! Other claims to fame for the town are it was the birthplace of the model village and like Monty's home town of Carnforth it featured in the film Brief Encounter. It's also had more 'famous' inhabitants than you can shake a stick at, one in particular without whom the world would have not come to know Julian, Dick, George, Anne and Timmy the dog in addition to Noddy, Big Ears, Mr Plod and the inhabitants of the now unmentionable Golly Town.

The demise of FC Romania has spurred the Romanian government to seek a referendum changing the constitution to prevent gay marriage. What with the Me Too dopes in full retreat over Brett's appointment are we seeing sanity restored at last?

Well the curse of the MM Road To Wembley strikes by my calculation for the 5th time as Beaconsfield lose 2-1 to Concord Rangers. Whenever the draw is made, get your money on their opponents in the next round. In the meantime I'll see what Wikipedia or the general WWW has to offer in terms of nuggets of trivia.

PS Just 3 months before we make our annual spectacle of ourselves in the competition. Here's hoping we draw whoever's on our Road To Wembley but with our past history we all know what will happen

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Well the curse of the MM Road To Wembley strikes by my calculation for the 5th time as Beaconsfield lose 2-1 to Concord Rangers. Whenever the draw is made, get your money on their opponents in the next round. In the meantime I'll see what Wikipedia or the general WWW has to offer in terms of nuggets of trivia.

PS Just 3 months before we make our annual spectacle of ourselves in the competition. Here's hoping we draw whoever's on our Road To Wembley but with our past history we all know what will happen
    CAM I think we'll have a good cup run this year, not saying owt about 2019 though.

Dover Athletic in the next round play Concord Rangers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Dover Athletic in the next round play Concord Rangers.
    Thanks Lol. Looks like I was one out as there is another preliminary round before the little 'big' boys enter the competition and 3 more rounds before we enter and leave

After our foreign travels to FC Romania a couple of rounds back we're 'abroad' again with Concord Rangers who are based on Canvey Island and are actually named after Concord beach. They have a famous name in goal, Sam Beasant, son of Wimbledon's Wembley hero Dave and up front there's Nana Boakye-Yiadom who plied his trade for 4 games at Barnsley back in 2014.

Most famous Canvey Islander is probably Peter Taylor, ex Palace and Spurs player who managed England for a game and was responsible for making Posh Spice's husband captain of the national team. I think he played against us in an eventful night match back in the mid-70s for Palace under Malcolm Allison, the one where it was 0-0 at half time but we went on to win 4-1 with 3 Palace players sent off in the 2nd half. A certain MM moderator who won't be named left that game just after half time and missed all the action because he was cold

I wonder if RGS ever managed to get close to the preliminaries, I bet if you looked back now they had some world class players.

RGS never seems to disappoint turning out some of the great leaders of industry, one even managed to build ocean liners in Southampton...some achievement for a small town

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Thanks Lol. Looks like I was one out as there is another preliminary round before the little 'big' boys enter the competition and 3 more rounds before we enter and leave

After our foreign travels to FC Romania a couple of rounds back we're 'abroad' again with Concord Rangers who are based on Canvey Island and are actually named after Concord beach. They have a famous name in goal, Sam Beasant, son of Wimbledon's Wembley hero Dave and up front there's Nana Boakye-Yiadom who plied his trade for 4 games at Barnsley back in 2014.

Most famous Canvey Islander is probably Peter Taylor, ex Palace and Spurs player who managed England for a game and was responsible for making Posh Spice's husband captain of the national team. I think he played against us in an eventful night match back in the mid-70s for Palace under Malcolm Allison, the one where it was 0-0 at half time but we went on to win 4-1 with 3 Palace players sent off in the 2nd half. A certain MM moderator who won't be named left that game just after half time and missed all the action because he was cold
    Never seen a manager get so much stick as Malcolm Allison did that night in his big hat & even bigger cigar.

Has there ever been a worse curse in sport than that of being the team to follow on the MM Road to Wembley? True to form Concord Rangers capitulated to Dover Athletic today so it'll be the team who play in the shadow of the white cliffs that we'll be looking out for when the draw is made for the 1st round proper on Monday.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast