+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Club in turmoil?

Quote Originally Posted by afc1903mad View Post
    Possibly, but I doubt it.
    Let me rephrase, I don’t think this board is representative of those that regularly go to the games.
    This board appears to be predominantly utilised by the polar opposite, fans that don’t go and want a medium to discuss, share and debate.
    There was a time a few years back where you maybe thought this forum could be a representative sample of the attitudes of fans. Now I doubt it's anything remotely like it.

Oddly enough the thing that used to pi$$ me off most in the old days were the "positive thinkers". Not because they looked on the bright side - that's just a question of temperament - but because they so often seemed to feel irrationally threatened by people they thought were being "negative". The theory seemed to be that if everyone (management, players, fans) stayed "positive" this would be translate into better results on the park; therefore anyone who broke ranks was a traitor to the cause. As though someone having a go at Darren Mackie or Jimmy Calderwood on here on a Thursday it would reduce our chances of a result against Motherwell on the Saturday. I thought this was superstitious hokum at the time, and still do.

But for all that I thought these folk were wrong I thought they were more typical of the average fan's mind-set than I was, and they pretty much dominated the board. I felt part of a minority of realists who were often taken to task for "negativity".

The irony is that now that the board is down to tiny numbers it's dominated by views far more cynical than mine, and that at a time when by any objective measure the club is doing far better than it was a few years back. It's an interesting question why, when a board like this has shrunk to a tiny rump, it's the cynics who've disproportionally chosen to hang around. Not that I have any answers beyond fairly loose speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by DollyLongstaffe View Post
    There was a time a few years back where you maybe thought this forum could be a representative sample of the attitudes of fans. Now I doubt it's anything remotely like it.

Oddly enough the thing that used to pi$$ me off most in the old days were the "positive thinkers". Not because they looked on the bright side - that's just a question of temperament - but because they so often seemed to feel irrationally threatened by people they thought were being "negative". The theory seemed to be that if everyone (management, players, fans) stayed "positive" this would be translate into better results on the park; therefore anyone who broke ranks was a traitor to the cause. As though someone having a go at Darren Mackie or Jimmy Calderwood on here on a Thursday it would reduce our chances of a result against Motherwell on the Saturday. I thought this was superstitious hokum at the time, and still do.

But for all that I thought these folk were wrong I thought they were more typical of the average fan's mind-set than I was, and they pretty much dominated the board. I felt part of a minority of realists who were often taken to task for "negativity".

The irony is that now that the board is down to tiny numbers it's dominated by views far more cynical than mine, and that at a time when by any objective measure the club is doing far better than it was a few years back. It's an interesting question why, when a board like this has shrunk to a tiny rump, it's the cynics who've disproportionally chosen to hang around. Not that I have any answers beyond fairly loose speculation.
    I used to hate Calderwood talking about what they were going to do / achieve before a game.
    I recall one week when he was bolsterous about beating Dundee Utd before the weekend and we were ultimately beaten.
    I far prefer doing the job on the park

Quote Originally Posted by irnbru1903 View Post
    Utter horsesh1t.

This board is a huge mix of people varying from don't miss a game supporters to those who live abroad never attending a game. It is the sheer snobbery of the "elite" supporter to assume otherwise.
    Im not denying there may be a mix, but just my opinion that those that more often share their opinions in here often are not thos that attend.
    Nothing to do with snobbery or elitism, just my non statistically proven perception of this board.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234