+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: How long will Nolan get?

I’ll give him till last orders at the bar !

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    More rubbish again today, a very scrappy game with no apparent tactics other than hoof it anywhere. Gone by xmas as i have said before.
    You'll get slaughtered again Durham but the stats are starting to stack up against him and no sign of improved performance.

It seems like there are a lot of concerned posts and people making cases for things being bad including last seasons results in the second half of the season. But last season was last season. We need to see how this team performs over the coming weeks and months and not go back over stats from last season just to make things appear worse than they maybe.

This season is a fresh start and a clean slate with a different squad of players.

I’ve been concerned that these kind of reactions would happen if we did not hit the ground running. That’s why I was hoping we would have at least 4 points on the board after a home game and an away game to prevent meltdown.

We’ve got to give this new team and manager a chance and time. We’ve got nine months ahead of us and an awful lot of football to play.

I’m not going to deny I’m underwhelmed with the results of the first two games having dropped five points, but being balanced that’s all they are two games out of a 46 game season. There is another 44 games left.

I’m not bothered if we are mid table by the end of the month, Sept, Oct or Nov. At the end of the year I’d hope for us to be in the playoffs. Then second half of the season push on and grab one of the three automatics.

Let’s get the indifferent performances out of the way early on and hope that this team can grow and become better and stronger over time. The signings we have made gives me confidence that this can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    You'll get slaughtered again Durham but the stats are starting to stack up against him and no sign of improved performance.
    I don't think he'll get slaughtered, because "gone by Xmas" is one of the more rational appraisals tonight in that it gives him time to sort things. If we are in a similar position in late December then durham could be right, but I still hope Nolan can get us winning games.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The next two weekend away games are at Lincoln and Exeter (with a mid-week trip to Newport beforehand). Pressure is on to win the home games against Yeovil and Forest Green as Notts are already 5 points behind last season's play-off rivals.

Nolan had an amazing 2017, but other than the very significant fact that the club is in L2 and not the National League, there's nothing left from that fabulous run that can be built upon. Everything's been reset, points wise, and Notts are still looking every bit the same club that went into reverse gear around January.

People will say it's only two games, but it isn't, it's been like this for half a season.
    How can you compare two games of this season with the last half of last season? Anyway it was not that bad a half a season as we got to the playoffs.

Also that was a completely different set of players and teams in the league. As you say everything has been reset points wise and it’s a new season so it should be the case about this season, this squad of players and the teams we will play against and what they will do which we don’t know yet after only two games. If we are 18th around Nov then I’d be concerned but it’s the 11th August.

We must give them a chance and time if things are reset. Have we learned nothing from past mistakes and knee jerk reactions?
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 11-08-2018 at 07:59 PM.

He needs to cut down on his drinking so that he can refocus on the football.

Spot on MM, 2 games out of 46 is the wrong time to be chucking our toys out of the pram, 10 games possibly, 15 games or Xmas more like before MAD has a serious meltdown.....AH is no fool and he's stuck a fair bit of dosh into this season's promo chase, he will act if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    He needs to cut down on his drinking so that he can refocus on the football.
    I mentioned last week that he looked ill, but there seem to be a lot more rumours about the booze this week.....does anyone actually have any proof?

To be fair we had enough chances to put the game to bed, I agree, we do need another defender in to freshen things up, but things aren’t as bad as some of the bed wetters on here are making out, give it time and we will be ok....,

Nolo's stats from 2018 aren't great, and while I'm generally for patience and, at this level, ideally allowing managers like him time to make mistakes and learn from them, I really think he has to start delivering and pdq.

It's important for the club that we're off the manager merry-go-round, but it's probably more important right now that we build on the excitement of last season, and that AH sees some return for the cash he's invested this pre-season. My guess is he would find it difficult to raise the lolly/enthusiasm to do it again next season if we do have a bad year. It is very early, but I think AH has to be asking himself some difficult questions already.

1) does KN have everything he needs to make this a success - but given how much he's been given already that point maybe moot, 2) is KN really capable of doing this - yes, I think it's time to start a little second-guessing 3) just in case, if not KN, then who else is available.

Time not for a knee-jerk reaction to 2 poor games, but shrewd and hard-nosed planning for all eventualities.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast