+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: How long will Nolan get?

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    Totally agree and frankly I'm a bit shocked as it's the first I've heard of it, always had him down as the consummate rather than consuming, pro.

Jeeezzzz, it's all over tw@tter.................

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    It seems like there are a lot of concerned posts and people making cases for things being bad including last seasons results in the second half of the season. But last season was last season. We need to see how this team performs over the coming weeks and months and not go back over stats from last season just to make things appear worse than they maybe.

This season is a fresh start and a clean slate with a different squad of players.

I’ve been concerned that these kind of reactions would happen if we did not hit the ground running. That’s why I was hoping we would have at least 4 points on the board after a home game and an away game to prevent meltdown.

We’ve got to give this new team and manager a chance and time. We’ve got nine months ahead of us and an awful lot of football to play.

I’m not going to deny I’m underwhelmed with the results of the first two games having dropped five points, but being balanced that’s all they are two games out of a 46 game season. There is another 44 games left.

I’m not bothered if we are mid table by the end of the month, Sept, Oct or Nov. At the end of the year I’d hope for us to be in the playoffs. Then second half of the season push on and grab one of the three automatics.

Let’s get the indifferent performances out of the way early on and hope that this team can grow and become better and stronger over time. The signings we have made gives me confidence that this can happen.
    Absolutely right. Even by "NCM meltdown" standards I'm surprised by some of the comments being made.

You could take statistical snapshots from certain periods of time in the careers of some of the world's most talented managers (e.g. Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho) and use them in abstract to make them look ordinary, but when you pan out and see the full picture, they were/are very successful. I'm not suggesting for one moment that Kevin Nolan belongs in that company, but it does illustrate the folly of using the relatively mediocre results of the later half of last season to suggest he's en route to failure. For the first twelve months of his career with us he managed to coax genuine play-off form from a team which had previously been plummeting towards the National League, so we know he does have the ability to take difficult situations and turn them around.

As MAD_MAGPIE says, 2018 has been indifferent so far, but the squad has changed considerably over the summer, so it's far too early to start making judgements about our prospects this season. If we go on to lose the next three or four games, then I admit I'll be getting a bit alarmed, but if we can pick up a couple of decent results and stay within reasonable reach of the top half of the table, that's fine at this stage.

I think we might need another striker before the loan window ends, but on paper this does look like a strong squad, the benefits of which tend to be seen more in the second half of the season when other early frontrunners get injuries and suspensions and/or run out of steam, as we did last year. In two or three months' time we'll have a better idea of how we're going, but at this stage there's no need for any great concern.

Like I said every week !
    I like Nolan and he can still sort things out it’s never too late but I do seriously worry how it’s going to end up !
    Here’s this weekends reading and it was posted to the chairman !

https://mobile.twitter.com/brownie23...27214553751552

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Actually, just be trawling Faceache and there's actually a few people on there saying Nolo should lay off the drink and concentrate on the team. Rumour??? gathering more pace than our defence.
    Think back Gumpie & I told you that I'd heard this early last season (from someone inside the club) but as results were going our way no one was interested & "it didn't matter" only when things start going wrong does it become an issue. Many of the all time great managers seem to have been very fond of a tipple but it didn't seem to interfere with their ability to do the job.

Hemmings and Stead missing gilt edged chances, has nowt to do with where Nolan drinks.

Oh to be a manager for notts county if stead and hemmings would of put away p##s easy chances sames as dennis last week we would be top of the league yes brislies defending was awful and for their winner 3 defenders didnt jump or pick one attacker up very poor. Not nolans fault you moaners wouldn't be talking crap about a mans private life/time bet most of you get piss#d at wknd. Get hall fit kellet did play left back dennis should now be ready and they are on about a defender. Chamberlain may be ready soon look at derby christ give the team and nolan a chance

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Think back Gumpie & I told you that I'd heard this early last season (from someone inside the club) but as results were going our way no one was interested & "it didn't matter" only when things start going wrong does it become an issue. Many of the all time great managers seem to have been very fond of a tipple but it didn't seem to interfere with their ability to do the job.
    Enjoying a tipple is one thing Kev but steaming down your local @1 in the morning, on the morning of a matchday is not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post

That's true ancientpie, or if it did, only very late in their careers. By his own admission, alcohol eventually took its toll on Brian Clough and arguably on Nottingham Forest in his final season when they were relegated, but he was winning the League Cup for them as late as 1989 and 1990. Sir Alex Ferguson's love of fine wine is well documented, and I've heard tales suggesting our own legendary Jimmy Sirrel was partial to a wee dram or something similar. As a proud Scot it would be rude not to!

History is littered with the names of high achievers who liked a drink, so a relationship with alcohol is not an indicator of one's capacity to succeed or fail. I would be more concerned about the long-term effect it can have on the person themselves if they struggle to recognise the difference between a social drink and something becoming a problem. Officially, 14 units spread over the week is the maximum weekly amount advised (equivalent to a bottle and a half of wine or five pints of export-type lager). Yeah I know, Mr Preachy!
    Last edited by jackal2; 12-08-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Any 100% proof on Nolan's drinking? Not the hearsay on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
    Any 100% proof on Nolan's drinking? Not the hearsay on twitter
    Well, quite! Everyone's an expert witness these days!

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast