+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The one thing I keep hearing about us...

Get out of the cups quickly,we are not going to win any of them,our aim now is to get to the prem,fxxk the cups

I wish We could forfeit the cup games and focus only on prem. Hope MB can get the second squad in against Bolton and Rotherham. He may play this squad Tuesday to solidify them.

Fitness, I trained new recruits over a 10 week gruelling period, their fitness doesn't drop if coached in the right way. Look at new Royal Marines and the 30 odd week there course is! Their tests get harder and harder, and yes they may tire, but if you can get the right frame of mind then people can go the distance.

It comes down to those who want and it those who don't. I think Bielsa has awoken so much in these players that, lets face it was lackluster last year.

The team seems together rather then individuals, and that was what was great about the services. If you feel part of something then you are willing to give your all.

I'm proud of the team, and hopefully we can do the same under the kosh

P.s And I'm drunk

Certainly agree regarding the fitness, as I reckon it has made a huge difference with their intensity. I recall someone on here weeks ago saying the players were knackered after some of his sessions. May have been the first real tough preseason they have had for some time!

Quote Originally Posted by Rev72 View Post
    And the way we play...'Burn out'.

Seems to be a common thing around the footy boards..we are just gonna shoot our load too early and go limp..probably just before or just after Xmas.

Think it could be wishful thinking for those who hate us..but it could also be a possibility..hopefully not.

Thoughts?
    "Shoot our load too early and go limp" - what on earth are you talking about Rev

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post

I will say this now though

Leeds wont be going up with this style they play

Far too high pressure and high tempo to be able to keep it up all season, they'll tire in the 2nd half of the season

My reply:
    But that's just the thing about Bielsa, that's his signature. They don't have to do it every game you know, plus you're forgetting that they have faced 2 of the stronger sides, so had to play this way. Against weaker sides and especially at home, they can afford to relax a little. With international breaks and easier games, they just need to do it consistently a majority of the time. But hard to say and you may be right. They were so good up to the 14-15 game mark last year and then it all faded away.

I rate Bielsa very highly. Superb manager. You have a great chance if you can play to his methods.

The difference last season was that we where a bit lucky in some games early on and though we employed the pressing tactics we always had a clown in goal - who as soon as he was tested buckled and resulted in the defence no longer trusting him to do his job.

Also like o see Aliosky -a one footed player if ever I saw one - playing on the left where he looks more at home - and he also seems to have muscled up a bit - hasn't spent time rolling about on the floor this season so far - ditto Saiz

Don't think we'll burn out this time around with this management set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    The difference last season was that we where a bit lucky in some games early on and though we employed the pressing tactics we always had a clown in goal - who as soon as he was tested buckled and resulted in the defence no longer trusting him to do his job.

Also like o see Aliosky -a one footed player if ever I saw one - playing on the left where he looks more at home - and he also seems to have muscled up a bit - hasn't spent time rolling about on the floor this season so far - ditto Saiz

Don't think we'll burn out this time around with this management set up.
    Also think Warnock & Cardiff sussed us out and then the rest of the league followed suit. We clearly had no plan B. This year I think our games against Villa, Middleborough & Millwall will give us a real measure of what we are truly capable of achieving.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post

I will say this now though

Leeds wont be going up with this style they play

Far too high pressure and high tempo to be able to keep it up all season, they'll tire in the 2nd half of the season

My reply:
    But that's just the thing about Bielsa, that's his signature. They don't have to do it every game you know, plus you're forgetting that they have faced 2 of the stronger sides, so had to play this way. Against weaker sides and especially at home, they can afford to relax a little. With international breaks and easier games, they just need to do it consistently a majority of the time. But hard to say and you may be right. They were so good up to the 14-15 game mark last year and then it all faded away.
    Some really complimentary comments from Derby fans in the post from OWT, and whilst two games don't make for any kind of conclusion (Bielsa himself said as much in the press conference yesterday), the nature of what has been achieved marks this side/squad out from last season, when we started well, but with only one clear objective "get Wood to put some body part on it and hope", which worked for a while, and credit to Wood, he improved and actually made goals, rather than just got in the way of the ball at a suitable juncture.

This season the start has been very different, a team playing for each other, a spread of threat going forward, goals coming from a variety of players and from header, shots, set pieces etc. Always an if, but if we can continue with that kind of play, and threaten across the whole breadth of the field and from varying angles, distances, heights etc, getting found out as we were last season becomes much less of an issue.

Lastly, and at the risk of repeating myself, go back to Dons era, and the squad was of similar size, but successfully involved in domestic league and cup competitions i.e winning games if not the competition itself, and equally successful at a European level, in an environment which was undoubtedly more physical than the Championship today. Our squad today can do at least as much in the league provided they have the support of physios, dieticians etc. coaching staff who know what they are doing, and a manager/coach who provides discipline, motivates and gives them the self-belief and confidence that so many wannabes have failed to of late.

Early days maybe, but things do look as though they are on the up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)