+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aucks.

Aucks.

I'm a member on 'that' forum again, and have posted your view that survival would be success this season(as if they were my own views). I've said emulating Bolton last season should be our aim..

I'm getting it in spades, bar one or two..

Damn you!

Quote Originally Posted by Saxo1man41 View Post
    I'm a member on 'that' forum again, and have posted your view that survival would be success this season(as if they were my own views). I've said emulating Bolton last season should be our aim..

I'm getting it in spades, bar one or two..

Damn you!
    Saxo, part of me does it to avoid disappointment, but it's also a question of simple realism. There are quite a few teams with players with PL experience. Others have invested heavily. I'm looking forward to a lot of even battles. I'm sticking to my prediction of 14th.
    As for the Millwall game, the saying "A match of two halves" could have been invented specifically for this one!

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Saxo, part of me does it to avoid disappointment, but it's also a question of simple realism. There are quite a few teams with players with PL experience. Others have invested heavily. I'm looking forward to a lot of even battles. I'm sticking to my prediction of 14th.
    As for the Millwall game, the saying "A match of two halves" could have been invented specifically for this one!
    I now feel it could be a struggle. We've played 2 of the poorer teams at this level and been well matched, and crucially getting only a point in each game. We have to be winning home games especially really. Maybe new additions will boost us, but I'm not sure it'll be to the level of midtable comfort. This is going to be a hard league this year.

I now feel it could be a struggle. We've played 2 of the poorer teams at this level and been well matched, and crucially getting only a point in each game. We have to be winning home games especially really. Maybe new additions will boost us, but I'm not sure it'll be to the level of midtable comfort. This is going to be a hard league this year.
    Last week we got an away point, which would've been 3 had it not been for a last minute fluke cross that was meant, went in. But we still got an way point.
    Millwall finished 9th in the Champ, and only just missed out on the play-off's. And are probably the most physical sides in the league. Tough, championship hardened side, who are one of the better sides of the division. No outstanding player, just a solid unit, who all know their jobs. We matched them today, in an even game, and it was a great barometer for how the season will go. We stood toe to toe physically, and caused them lots of problems second half. Dack unlucky in the first half, which they controlled and played well. For the first 25 mins we showed them too much respect. Once we got in the game, we bossed it. But I only went, and saw the game. The best way of having an opinion, is by not going, taking all the facts, and going ultra negative. Definately a balanced view.

Auks, I thought today was decent. A good start. Once Palmer clicks, he will be great. He'll give the ball away, but that one time he tries something different, that comes off, it will be worth it. It's going to be good watch him, Dack & Armstrong link up. The one who impressed me most was Rothwell when he came on. He looks a very balanced footballer. Classy, fast running with the ball. Had a great shot well saved. He looks very promising. But it's only one game. Evans started poorly, but got better.
    Smallwood worries me. I'm not even 100% on Mulgrew at this level, week in week out. I believe we are even looking at a loan deal,for Bauer. Bennett is great, but limited. The keeper is the same with stopping shots, his distribution is poor, as his is confidence on crosses. I'm all for this team spirit thing. And Mowbray will give chances to all the lads who got us promoted. Some are going to kick on at this level, Dack & Lenihan. Who will produce while they remain with us. But some aren't good enough for this level, week in week out. I can see now, that of the side playing today, about 6 will remain mainstays. We will definately enter the loan market, and we will kick on.

Where I get a little confused, what have either of you seen to be so sure we will struggle, but every single other side will all have good seasons? I can try to understand having a default negative, setting. But I'm just wondering what you have seen in these sides (every other league club in this division) analysed their transfers, to know for sure we will be one of the worst?

Fair enough, Auks says 14th which realistic.
    But also, this posting style Saxo. Like its factual .....Milwall are one of the poorer sides in this league .....fact .....Rovers will be the 4the worst side in this division, ....fact

Call me Mr Positve. But this is where I just can't let you carry on without pulling you up. It's not a fact. Don't post it as one. I've explained my reasoning, I try to discuss it, and you either make fun of the length of my post. Or just ignore me. It's so frustrating, and I just think why am I bothering. And after a while it just descends into name calling, and winding up. I've done my best to try and get an understanding, I guess I'll get no answer as always.
    Last edited by champs95; 11-08-2018 at 10:29 PM.

Not being negative, Champs. I think you have to take a step back and take a look at some of the other squads as if you were not a Rovers supporter at all. Doing that, you'd have to say that Villa, Stoke, Derby, Middlesbrough, Forest, Swansea, Leeds are all ahead of us in terms of overall quality. Then there are a few teams who are battle-hardened in the Championship. That's not to say all of those mentioned will finish above us, because there are a few surprises every season, and I think one of Mowbray's greatest achievements is that he has made this group of players better than the sum of its parts. All the same, the bookies' odds are probably a fair guide to the "probabilities".
    As for the Millwall game, I am not sure why we sometimes have this "rabbits in the headlights" spell at the start of home games. It happened on a few occasions last season as well.
    Overall, we edged it in terms of chances, and we more or less dominated the final 50-55 minutes.
    Rothwell did his prospects no harm at all. On that (limited) evidence, Freeman or McGinn might not turn out to be such big "misses" after all.
    We will hear a lot about about Graham's missed chances, but I thought his general play was very good, Strangely, both Dack and Armstrong were a little below par.
    Lenihan and Evans both excellent. I'm sure Nyambe gets physically stronger every week. I bet he'd make a very good rugby player.
    Palmer too was promising, once he'd settled.
    The big decision for TM is, does he stick to that tried and tested 4-2-3-1 (with minor variations on that theme), or does he look to play a more attacking central midfielder? For the moment, we don't have the extra complication of a winger like Chapman, but we still have the problem of a quart in a pint pot. Is there some formation that doesn't drop Bennett which could accommodate all of the following:
    Graham, Dack, Armstrong, Palmer, Rothwell?
    Very difficult. Leaving out Bennett and Smallwood, we could field:
    Raya
    Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams (or Bell)
    Rothwell Evans
    Palmer Dack Armstrong
    Graham.

That would have enormous attacking potential, but would it be solid enough? I doubt that Bennett could be dropped anyway, to be honest, so we could try:
    Raya
    Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams (or Bell)
    Bennett Rothwell Evans
    Dack Armstrong
    Graham.
    What do you think?
    Incidentally, I quite enjoyed watching Millwall playing a nostalgic 4-4-2!
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 11-08-2018 at 11:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    Last week we got an away point, which would've been 3 had it not been for a last minute fluke cross that was meant, went in. But we still got an way point.
    Millwall finished 9th in the Champ, and only just missed out on the play-off's. And are probably the most physical sides in the league. Tough, championship hardened side, who are one of the better sides of the division. No outstanding player, just a solid unit, who all know their jobs. We matched them today, in an even game, and it was a great barometer for how the season will go. We stood toe to toe physically, and caused them lots of problems second half. Dack unlucky in the first half, which they controlled and played well. For the first 25 mins we showed them too much respect. Once we got in the game, we bossed it. But I only went, and saw the game. The best way of having an opinion, is by not going, taking all the facts, and going ultra negative. Definately a balanced view.

Auks, I thought today was decent. A good start. Once Palmer clicks, he will be great. He'll give the ball away, but that one time he tries something different, that comes off, it will be worth it. It's going to be good watch him, Dack & Armstrong link up. The one who impressed me most was Rothwell when he came on. He looks a very balanced footballer. Classy, fast running with the ball. Had a great shot well saved. He looks very promising. But it's only one game. Evans started poorly, but got better.
    Smallwood worries me. I'm not even 100% on Mulgrew at this level, week in week out. I believe we are even looking at a loan deal,for Bauer. Bennett is great, but limited. The keeper is the same with stopping shots, his distribution is poor, as his is confidence on crosses. I'm all for this team spirit thing. And Mowbray will give chances to all the lads who got us promoted. Some are going to kick on at this level, Dack & Lenihan. Who will produce while they remain with us. But some aren't good enough for this level, week in week out. I can see now, that of the side playing today, about 6 will remain mainstays. We will definately enter the loan market, and we will kick on.

Where I get a little confused, what have either of you seen to be so sure we will struggle, but every single other side will all have good seasons? I can try to understand having a default negative, setting. But I'm just wondering what you have seen in these sides (every other league club in this division) analysed their transfers, to know for sure we will be one of the worst?

Fair enough, Auks says 14th which realistic.
    But also, this posting style Saxo. Like its factual .....Milwall are one of the poorer sides in this league .....fact .....Rovers will be the 4the worst side in this division, ....fact

Call me Mr Positve. But this is where I just can't let you carry on without pulling you up. It's not a fact. Don't post it as one. I've explained my reasoning, I try to discuss it, and you either make fun of the length of my post. Or just ignore me. It's so frustrating, and I just think why am I bothering. And after a while it just descends into name calling, and winding up. I've done my best to try and get an understanding, I guess I'll get no answer as always.
    All of it is IMO champs, of course its IMO.. I can't state factually how our season will go, otherwise I'd be down the bookies!

For the record, IMO a 14th place finish I'd consider not comfortable I.e. a struggle..

It certainly is going to be tough. There will be lots of surprises and close games. I can't think why you'd prefer the PL! You could write down the top six now, and there will be about 12 others with the sole aim of avoiding relegation.
    We do need to remember that we are football supporters because we like watching good, competitive, evenly-matched games of football.
    I have a friend here who loves it when the All-Blacks win by 50 points. After about 20 minutes, I find those games deadly dull! It's a different mindset, and I suppose it's why I even enjoy watching park-football and my grandson's Under-11 basketball team.

For the record, IMO a 14th place finish I'd consider not comfortable I.e. a struggle..
    Norwich were 14th last season, 19 points ahead of Barnsley, relegated with 41. That would definitely be "comfortable" as far as I'm concerned! Only 1.3 points-per-game to get to sixty. Only 0.9 p-p-g to get to 21st place and safety in the 17/18 table. (Now that wouldn't be comfortable!)
    Last edited by AucklandRover; 11-08-2018 at 11:41 PM.

Note that I haven't even mentioned Conway, Samuel, Nuttall, Whittingham, Tomlinson, Gladwin - all of them attack-minded players!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)