+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The squad now

The squad now

Thoughts? imo we have the players to win this league, need to see if the desire and passion is there to go and do it.

Looks like our signing might be complete. If you were picking the team for the next game what would be your strongest 11?

I would play 4-4-2 diamond.

Wardrop Frans Watson Booth

Barton
    Aird Stanton loemba

Safranko Clark

I would be tempted to keep Barton at CH as he looked strong in that position yesterday, but I still believe we lack a strong defensive midfielder. Would maybe move him there when Fyvie was back fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pissedoffshed View Post
    I would play 4-4-2 diamond.

Wardrop Frans Watson Booth

Barton
    Aird Stanton loemba

Safranko Clark

I would be tempted to keep Barton at CH as he looked strong in that position yesterday, but I still believe we lack a strong defensive midfielder. Would maybe move him there when Fyvie was back fit.
    Safranko partnering Clark occupying opposing CB's, 2 wide players coming in off the flanks, and Stanton given instructions to make driving runs at defences, I think we could be a potent attacking force. Defence wise maybe jury out

Need another CB preferably with a bit of pace, we also got very nervous at 2-1 and looked dodgy, dunno why we didn't continue to go at them second half, even if they changed something to counter the first half

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Thoughts? imo we have the players to win this league, need to see if the desire and passion is there to go and do it.

Looks like our signing might be complete. If you were picking the team for the next game what would be your strongest 11?
    Im not so sure our signings are complete. We are now at a first team squad of 25 players where target was 24. I think Edje has done enough to keep his place in the squad, which leaves Scobbie, McMullan and Keatings still on the shoogly peg, although i think the latter pair have something to give. If those 3 depart, i believe 2 players will come in but not so sure direct replacements. Another option that has been mentioned elsewhere is movements out on loan which could free up spaces.

For the last 2 seasons, on paper we have had the squad to win this league, but when they get out on the park, they couldnt do it. The season so far is 50/50 when the cup is ignored, but i need to see more yesterdays /50 to convince me.

For the best team, i dont know but i dont think there is much between the keepers so either will do. The rest of the team, im gonna have to put both formations up.....

Murdoch, Watson, Frans, Robson,
    Aird, Rabitsch, Stanton, Loemba,
    Safranko, Clark.

or

Watson, Barton, Frans
    Aird, Stanton, Rabitsch, Loemba, Robson,
    Safranko, Clark.

Once Fyvie is fit and up to speed, swap him for Rabitsch, and i would love to have Stanton, Glass and Loemba in the team at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Im not so sure our signings are complete. We are now at a first team squad of 25 players where target was 24. I think Edje has done enough to keep his place in the squad, which leaves Scobbie, McMullan and Keatings still on the shoogly peg, although i think the latter pair have something to give. If those 3 depart, i believe 2 players will come in but not so sure direct replacements. Another option that has been mentioned elsewhere is movements out on loan which could free up spaces.

For the last 2 seasons, on paper we have had the squad to win this league, but when they get out on the park, they couldnt do it. The season so far is 50/50 when the cup is ignored, but i need to see more yesterdays /50 to convince me.

For the best team, i dont know but i dont think there is much between the keepers so either will do. The rest of the team, im gonna have to put both formations up.....

Murdoch, Watson, Frans, Robson,
    Aird, Rabitsch, Stanton, Loemba,
    Safranko, Clark.

or

Watson, Barton, Frans
    Aird, Stanton, Rabitsch, Loemba, Robson,
    Safranko, Clark.

Once Fyvie is fit and up to speed, swap him for Rabitsch, and i would love to have Stanton, Glass and Loemba in the team at the same time!
    If only we had played on paper mate we'd be back where we belong now.

Toshney got injured on loan iirc, came back so I would expect him to be with us at least until January. The Keatings McMullan thing is interesting because it was the Sun who ran the story quoting sources at Tannadice (#wemadethisup) none of the Dundee papers ran that as far as I remember.

Your first lineup is quite different to Pissedoffshed so maybe opinions are still divided about our best side

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    If only we had played on paper mate we'd be back where we belong now.

Toshney got injured on loan iirc, came back so I would expect him to be with us at least until January. The Keatings McMullan thing is interesting because it was the Sun who ran the story quoting sources at Tannadice (#wemadethisup) none of the Dundee papers ran that as far as I remember.

Your first lineup is quite different to Pissedoffshed so maybe opinions are still divided about our best side
    Be pretty boring if everyone agreed!

The difference is only i dont think Wardrop is experienced enough as yet, so for me just now, Murdoch is the better option. On the other hand, I see Robson as better than Booth, not that ive had much to base that on. As for Barton/Rabitsch, i think if the latter is reigned in just enough to stop the yellows, he will become the better option, by which time Fyvie will be back in the team.

Im baffled about the situation with Keatings and McMullan, but there are rumours out there that they have fell out with Shabba. I think that is a shame as they both have the potential to make an impact this season if given the chance!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    Be pretty boring if everyone agreed!

The difference is only i dont think Wardrop is experienced enough as yet, so for me just now, Murdoch is the better option. On the other hand, I see Robson as better than Booth, not that ive had much to base that on. As for Barton/Rabitsch, i think if the latter is reigned in just enough to stop the yellows, he will become the better option, by which time Fyvie will be back in the team.

Im baffled about the situation with Keatings and McMullan, but there are rumours out there that they have fell out with Shabba. I think that is a shame as they both have the potential to make an impact this season if given the chance!
    Agreed it would be boring if we all agreed. Other than that I can't agree with anything you've said there
    I wasn't meaning your lineup was worse or better than Pissedoffs by the way. Just interesting to see the differences, and that was why I started the thread. Might be another 3 or 4 games before we see what lineup looks the best.
    Pity it's a 2 week wait now, but as someone said on another thread it might not be a bad thing as it gives players the extra time to work on fitness levels.

I think the difference this year is the potential flexibility within the squad. I believe there are more options that will allow flexibility between 3 at the back formations or 4 at the back formations mentioned above. Personally always a fan of a back 3 but am concerned the squad may be one centre half short for that. That said I won't be particularly upset if this is our squad complete for the season.

No one will ever agree, we will all have our own opinions on certain players. Looking at the teams above it looks like the defence is were there will be different combinations.

I went for wardrop at RB because like Robson I believe he has potential. I left Robson out my starting 11 because I believe Booth is better defensively and it would be to risky to play two young players in the back four were we are very weak in the central areas. But if we had stronger options in the central areas I would play both Robson and wardrop

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)