+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derby game

Derby game

Those who went or watched it all how was it? Was at a wedding so only seen LUTV and Sky highlights which in all honesty just made Derby look unlucky to not score more.

Roofes goals were brilliant and Hernandez looks even better than last year.

Still look rather hopeless at the back and a lot of panic defending/lucky the opposition don't take their chances.

Anyway, honest reviews folks? Was hoping I'd be able to catch the full game somewhere but can't find it.

Superb performance. Breathtaking. I dont think i can recall such a transformation in such a short time.
    They are all playing well. I dont think we look weak in defence although Jansson would be a good addition ar some point. I would have Blackman in goal although BPF has done well.
    Roofe is a revelation. Saiz is top draw. Hernandez playing well. Klich and Phillips doing great together. Brilliant full backs.
    Being ho est i think we all wonder if we can keep it up. We will soon see.
    Not sure how well Bamford will fit in now but its a squad game and they will all be needed.
    All our enemies are praising us so we must be doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by lasher View Post
    Superb performance. Breathtaking. I dont think i can recall such a transformation in such a short time.
    They are all playing well. I dont think we look weak in defence although Jansson would be a good addition ar some point. I would have Blackman in goal although BPF has done well.
    Roofe is a revelation. Saiz is top draw. Hernandez playing well. Klich and Phillips doing great together. Brilliant full backs.
    Being ho est i think we all wonder if we can keep it up. We will soon see.
    Not sure how well Bamford will fit in now but its a squad game and they will all be needed.
    All our enemies are praising us so we must be doing well.

Happy days, surprised LUTV didn't make us look more dominant then.

Be interesting to see what we are like with Jansson in and I think long term Blackman will end up in goal though I don't think we can criticise BPF at the moment, saw the goal and it was a difficult one.

Saw the game on net.

They were stunning. Derby will be playoff team and the score was indicative on just how good we were. Our counterattacks are incredible to watch and our efficiency in moving the ball is prem level (upper table). The work rate is second to none in English football.

Like others, just wonder if we can keep that rate up all season. He's committed to a small squad so everyone knows they are going to get a lot of time. A lot different that previous coaches where a player had no idea what he might get or why they were getting it. Most of the squad he's played so far has been pretty "durable". The only one that missed any time over the last couple of years is Ayling. Do worry if Pontus gets a long run of games that the knees will go on him at this pace.

I do hope he starts rotating in some players. However, I really hope he can play this squad one more game together against Bolton. I think they are better than the pundits thought they would be.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Saw the game on net.

They were stunning. Derby will be playoff team and the score was indicative on just how good we were. Our counterattacks are incredible to watch and our efficiency in moving the ball is prem level (upper table). The work rate is second to none in English football.

Like others, just wonder if we can keep that rate up all season. He's committed to a small squad so everyone knows they are going to get a lot of time. A lot different that previous coaches where a player had no idea what he might get or why they were getting it. Most of the squad he's played so far has been pretty "durable". The only one that missed any time over the last couple of years is Ayling. Do worry if Pontus gets a long run of games that the knees will go on him at this pace.

I do hope he starts rotating in some players. However, I really hope he can play this squad one more game together against Bolton. I think they are better than the pundits thought they would be.
    I'd rather he used Bolton to give the other players their first full game and then keep the same squad for our next league game.

Definitely want to see Blackman, Pearce, Jansson, Harrison, Baker, Bamford and Roberts get a full game.

I actually thought Hernandez was a little quieter in this game. Maybe that was because others are now playing a bigger role too??? Anyway, we know his capabilities so no real concern. And I'm with Joel in wantng the fringe players to all get game time v Bolton.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    Those who went or watched it all how was it? Was at a wedding so only seen LUTV and Sky highlights which in all honesty just made Derby look unlucky to not score more.

Roofes goals were brilliant and Hernandez looks even better than last year.

Still look rather hopeless at the back and a lot of panic defending/lucky the opposition don't take their chances.

Anyway, honest reviews folks? Was hoping I'd be able to catch the full game somewhere but can't find it.
    What was also impressive Joel was that when Derby got their goal we didn’t panic upped the intensity and scored again. Last season that could have been a trigger for the wheels, doors, roof and steering wheel to fall off.

By by the second half we just looked in control.

Embarrassed to admit but forgot this was not a league game.

definitely agree that we need to rotate in lots of players for this game.

won't be stunned if we are very good with these players as well. everyone is gunning to be on the first team and it's a pretty solid bench.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Embarrassed to admit but forgot this was not a league game.

definitely agree that we need to rotate in lots of players for this game.

won't be stunned if we are very good with these players as well. everyone is gunning to be on the first team and it's a pretty solid bench.
    All playing for the shirt spaldy..been a long time since we have been able to say that!

We were fantastic going forward - it was breathtaking at times.

I was concerned about the defending at times - if they had scored their chances at a couple of key points, the game could've been different, although the point about us resetting the intensity is true - in recent years we would've folded on their goal - this time we just attacked and took back control.

I think the tactics of intense high pressing and very swift counter-attacking are brilliant, but they do need to be backed up by avoiding the silly mistakes and weak defending we've suffered from in the past - on Saturday Cooper gave away a needless free-kick for their goal, and BPF should have at least got a glove on it, perhaps more - there were other moments when the defending was less than solid, as there were in the first game eg for the Stoke penalty. It's interesting that two mistakes led to goals in both games. If more pressure is exerted on our current defence it could cause us problems.

We also went through a 15 minute period where we kept hacking the ball out of defence and it kept going straight to a Derby player in midfield, inviting more pressure. Clearly the intensity is very difficult to maintain over a whole game, and Hernandez and Saiz both noticeably dropped a level during that period.

Not disputing it was a brilliant overall performance, but we can improve defensively - Janssen should help when he comes back in and as we get used to the new tactics, the defending should adapt and improve.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)