+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ron Sounders not in good shape!

Ron Sounders not in good shape!

Birmingham mail running an article on RS being cared for in a home for Dementia on his 85th Birthday, very sad a humbling news about the 'Gaffer' for me it brings sad memories of my mother and im sure we all know of someone who is suffering. Its a terrible desease and although we know the outcome, i wish him well.
    He gave us a team that ruled Europe and who knows knows where we could have got too had, he not fell out with old Deadly?
    Thank you Gaffer.

Nice words TD, he produced a great side and is revered like McGrath - it's so dreadfully sad to see people "disappear" to this cruellest of diseases. My mother-in-law has it and my heart goes out to my father-in-law who has been nothing but a saint in taking care of her every need whilst coping with Parkinsons. It's a cruel world

Yeah sad news indeed. My step Mom has it, and since me Dad's passing in November last she really has deteriorated. I'm over here so my step brother has a lot on.
    Such a cruel thing to happen to once vibrant folk.

The Font on the back of this years EFL shirts is a nod to the 'Mind' Mental Health Charity.

In my ignorance i wondered what that was.... respect.

I was really sorry to read that, TD.

As others have said, it is awful to watch a loved one almost disappear into another world in which you have no place. My late grandmother was diagnosed with dementia in later life. A huge challenge, both emotionally and physically for those wonderful relatives who care for those afflicted. The main carer being my mother. The only blessing, if it can be called that, was as her physical health deteriorated in the last year of her life, she had no memory of the all too frequent scary emergency trips to hospital and had no idea of how ill she was.

I hadn't realised the Mind connection either, TD. The Alzheimer's Society were really good in offering advice and some practical support if it is of any help to anyone.

Love and good wishes to all those affected x

Terrible news. My thoughts go out to Ron Saunders the man and his family. The diseases which cause the syndrome of dementia are truly terrible and nobody deserves being robbed of their memories and identity. My mom was diagnosed with a mixed picture of Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia following the death of my dad and her decline was rapid. We nursed and cared for that beautiful person for eigh**** months as she slipped away from us bit by bit each and every day. My wife's mom has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's too and now she's going through the same with her family. As most of her side of the family live in Devon she's up and down the motorway quite a bit. All of the very best to the Saunders family.
    Last edited by Albionic68; 13-08-2018 at 11:13 PM.

I've found this a difficult thread to read as it makes you realise how so many people have heartbreaking stories of losing loved one's to this awful disease.

My partners mother was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia 18 months ago. Despite great care she's declined at an alarming rate in the space of the last 4 months. On Friday she fell, broke her hip and is now in hospital covered in tubes, thin as a rake, mumbling and not recognising her daughter or son. She was once very involved in the local community, always there for people and someone who grabbed life in full. This weekend was the harsh reality that this probably is the end despite us all knowing there was never going to be a happy ending.

So sad to hear Ron Saunders is suffering. Another great Midlands football man I remember reading about was Ronnie Allen who suffered with Alzheimers. They had to put a sign on his room in the care home he was at, 'Home Dressing Room'. It's just so sad and unfair how this disease works.

It is an evil disease. However, it is worse not for the patient but the family. To see someone suffering from alzeimers they are mostly in a world of their own. They become children again in some instances but this means they dint recognise a lot of family members.

A long time ago I worked in a care home and out of the 30+ residents only a handful had regular visits. A lot of the time the family don't come because "it is too upsetting and he doesn't know who I am anyway".

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)