+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: St. Johnstone Colts - The Fizzy Cup

A win (without Shabba) is a win.

C'mon United keep this run goin'!

Quote Originally Posted by moicher View Post
    afraid not. First game of the season wont be until the 25th for me. i reckon my old man will have went so will ask him
    Fair enough Sir. Just seen that Thomas (who I singled out early on in this read as one to watch) was taken off after 6 mins sadly.

That’s the only positive of this cup as it gives these guys a chance to prove themseleves.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1971 View Post
    Y-A-A-A-SS! McMullan nails at the death to send the Shedlets into the next round!
    Are you for real? I know you're obsessed with this wee cup but jeez

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Brightside View Post
    Were you at the game bud? If so how did he perform? I still think he has something to offer us and would hate to see him go to a championship rival like Patrick.
    Hard to judge against a colts team, even though i thought they were quite good, but McMullan was for once head and shoulders above all others. If someone was capable of finishing, McMullan would have had a good number of assists with the crosses he put in.

After 2 down playing 4-5-1, Easton changed it around where McMullan went up front with Smith to make it 4-4-2. After Chalmers scored the first, McMullan then started being more direct and got his first in a 1-2 with Smith. Second came from good hold up play by Smith who sent McMullan on his way, ending up 1 on 1 with the keeper to score the winner.

Hands up who mentioned injuries and Archie Thomas? Off within 4 minutes after a first minute knock. Tell you what though, there is a lad Zata that came on who i think has a great future ahead of him.

2 i didnt like.....
    Chalmers, i think he has a bright future ahead of him, but apart from the scrappy goal and a couple of good runs, i really didnt see anything of what ive seen before.
    Smith, When up on his own, i didnt see anything from him. Once he had someone to work with, he started being more effective and as said above, had a hand in both McMullans goals.

700 fans tonight, 92 from along the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post

700 fans tonight, 92 from along the road.
    Another record smashed Shedka. Gonna be some season.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutherland Arab View Post
    I don't get the angst towards us participating in this cup. If it's because we should be in the Premier and only sending out a colt side, then in effect that is what we are doing anyway. Rightly it's not a priority to the club, but it not beneath us because we are where we are.
    If we send out all youngsters and get beat then people moan, but if we play a strong side and a player gets injured then people moan.
    I'll be going tonight with the kid to see how our younger players are progressing and to welcome a different gaffer in the dugout.
    I hope you and the young one enjoyed it.
    5 goals and a comeback win, what's not to like.

Regarding my comments elsewhere on this thread here's my take on it.
    Firstly Dundee United should be aiming to win every match they play in every competition.
    But...... this is not a Major trophy and imo we are right to use it for the youth squad. We shouldn't validate it by playing the fists choice team. Consequently for me it doesn't matter if we get put out by Killiecrankie Kilmarnock Cupar or Tayport. Of course I want us to win it though.
    There is only one competion that matters and that's the one we need to finish first in. The league. To those who say my view suggests I feel its beneath us, no, that's not what I'm saying. No angst, just common sense imo

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    I hope you and the young one enjoyed it.
    5 goals and a comeback win, what's not to like.

Regarding my comments elsewhere on this thread here's my take on it.
    Firstly Dundee United should be aiming to win every match they play in every competition.
    But...... this is not a Major trophy and imo we are right to use it for the youth squad. We shouldn't validate it by playing the fists choice team. Consequently for me it doesn't matter if we get put out by Killiecrankie Kilmarnock Cupar or Tayport. Of course I want us to win it though.
    There is only one competion that matters and that's the one we need to finish first in. The league. To those who say my view suggests I feel its beneath us, no, that's not what I'm saying. No angst, just common sense imo
    Pretty much sums it up for me as well!

I would go further, and although i would have preferred to bow out gracefully in the first round, i am glad we are out the League cup. Once the Scottish comes around, depending on the draw, i dont want to spend too many rounds in that either. Unless of course the league is done and dusted by end of january!

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Just making the point that Allardice, Glass, Smith & Chalmers all have first team experience when u claimed there was only 3.

Calm your tits son.

I'm calm, experience as in dipping their toes maybe

All very much in the inexperienced bracket outwith the ones I named though

One they get to a good 40-50 games for a first team then that a different story

I see they turned out it round, ah well, will stop the govan freaks party

Quote Originally Posted by DUAS View Post

More season tickets and more home fans at respective league openers, that's all that matters until we can see a like for like with this scenario, I'm sure we would have had many of those to compare with if they had put colts in this cup during the nineties and 2005-2014, many times you competed in it again??

Quote Originally Posted by DUAS View Post
    I read somewhere that dundee fc are one of the 2 SPL teams who have falling attendances

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)