+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Day I was Born.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    I was born on a Wednesday morning in November 1962 and my dad was there. If had been a Saturday and Notts were at home then he wouldn't .

ps. I remember buying a programme of eBay a few months ago and saying to my son that's who Notts played the week I was born. I will have to check when I get home from me jollies. I'm sure nobody will be interested by then if there ever are now.Not to sure i will either.
    Should have added even though it was only a few months ago I bought it I can't remember for the life of me who it was against, asked the boss and surpringly he can't remember either.

Sorry but I,m bored ****less in this house, and that's what it is . Villa my arse but that's what my Mrs navy likes to call it.
    Last edited by navypie; 13-08-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Couldnt possibly comment on what year it was, but we won on the day I was born. Dont think we have ever won on my birthday since.

I vividly remember that 2-2 game v Man U as well. I remember they'd pulled up some wooden fencing from somewhere, and were carrying the pieces like spears. Didnt they climb up the floodlights too?
    They smashed up the specially built toilets in the Kop within minutes. They threw Kung Fu stars at the cops one lodged in a coppers helmet, the only thing that slightly calmed them was the introduction by the police of about half a dozen snarling let me at them German Shepherds, wern't so brave then. After the game they ran riot and did severe damage to the ground which Notts demanded they pay to put right. Man Utd. refused so Notts took it to the Football league, who told Manchester either pay for the damage done by your fans or spend more time in division 2. They quickly coughed up.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Bugger. Why did I have to get born in the close season?
    Yes exactly Swaley County kid lol, Im the same... I was born in late June so I also don't have any league season claims to fame.
    But I do have claims to England and World cup or Euro Nations cup memories on my birthday. Does that count, do I win a good old tanner for posting that ?.
    Last edited by Acido; 13-08-2018 at 10:07 PM.

No footie in September 1945.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Yes exactly Swaley County kid lol, Im the same... I was born in late June so I also don't have any league season claims to fame.
    But I do have claims to England and World cup or Euro Nations cup memories on my birthday. Does that count, do I win a good old tanner for posting that ?.
    Sounds fair. Plenty to go and have a night out and still enough left for a bag of chips on the walk home.

You can't beat a bag o chips can you matey, ohh I love a bag of chips doused in vinegar and a little bit of salt... on a Friday night.

Two days before we lost to Man Utd 3-1 at home and two days later beat West Brom away 4-2.

Wish I was a Notts fan attending in those times.

Quote Originally Posted by uysapie View Post
    No footie in September 1945.
    Hi Uysapie

This was the season that ( I think) the FA re-started the FA cup (1945-46) which along with league fixtures had been cancelled with the outbreak of war. I seem to remember it was won by Derby defeating Charlton with Sam Bartram in goal. However I again think the Leagues re-started in 1946-47 with full fixtures because '47 was the year we signed Tommy from Chelsea ..........and for the record .... irrespective of modern fitness, would he have scored many goals today for Notts?...... too bloody true he would!
    Last edited by seriouspie; 14-08-2018 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seriouspie View Post
    Hi Uysapie

This was the season that ( I think) the FA re-started the FA cup (1945-46) which along with league fixtures had been cancelled with the outbreak of war. I seem to remember it was won by Derby defeating Charlton with Sam Bartram in goal. However I again think the Leagues re-started in 1946-47 with full fixtures because '47 was the year we signed Tommy from Chelsea ..........and for the record .... irrespective of modern fitness, would he have scored many goals today for Notts?...... too bloody true he would!

Interesting!!! :

For the only time in the history of the competition, all matches from the First Round Proper up to and including the Sixth Round Proper were played over two legs, the first leg being played at the stadium of the team named first on the date specified for each round, which was always a Saturday. In the first and second rounds proper, the second leg was played on the following Saturday; from the third round onwards, it was played during the week following the first leg. If aggregate scores were level after 90 minutes of the second leg had been played, a replay would take place at a neutral venue. These changes were made in order to give clubs additional revenue, as the Football League would not resume normal play until the autumn of 1946.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1945%E2%80%9346_FA_Cup

We lost 1-0 to Blackburn Rovers the day before I was born... I'm a jinx!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast