Went up there today.....decent game and really enjoyable to watch. Actually my first visit to Stocksbridge...somehow managed to evaded me (2pm KO's dont help when I am at work most of the time). Lovely little ground with picturesque views but the pitch is pristine and flat. Seems quite a small pitch though.

Ipswich seemed to have more experience; at least in youth terms and it did seem physically they had a few a bit ahead or older than ours. I know both Coter and Dozzell have played for the first team (the latter 9 times) and I think that two other lads Ben Folami and Ben Morris may have played for the first team also last season Indeed most of those are 19/20 whislt many of ours are still 18 years of age. The lad Dylan Crowe has been linked with Man Utd and LB Leipzig too. So overall a lot more pedigree in terms iof reputation / first team experience.

For us, I know Eastwood has been used at 1st team level but other than Hallam in the JPT the other season and Doherty recently in the squad in a pre season game; the rest are all quite young and inexperience. Noticed that Zac Brunt who arrived in the summer was on the bench. He was in a documentary about football adacemies last year and hit the headlines due to him being unable to leave Derby due to compensation - he has been at football academies at Man City and Atletico Madrid - he ended up at Matlock and now trying to get his promsing career going.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/the-n...h1txlqx0x0ay1q

Team sheet below:

United began slowly and the older Ipswch side pegged us back but they kept to their task encourage by Travis Binnion (never swears or gets angry) and listened to him carefully - all his instructions clear and positive and tries to tell them what to do to improve or next time. Great to see such positive encouragment.

Ipswich went ahead with a decent long range shot giving Eastwood little chance from Morris. The defending was a bit sloppy but it was a good shot. United came back straight away and scored. A decent move down the left saw the ball came over and Reece York managed to convert at the near post. United settled doown after this and started to play with York, Hallam and Doherty at the heart of the better things we did. Nice to see us determined to get it down and pass it. The formation shifted from a 5 when defending to a 4 when we attacked. It was interesting to see Gordon and Ferguson for from wide centre back to almost full backs depending on where the ball was.Sheppeard and Boyes would do the same as wing backs or wingers. It was such a fluent system that has clearly been worked on.

We got ahead as a nice move saw Boyes and York link up and Hallam nipped in to round the keeper. His shot may have gone in but PArkhouse made sure bundling home under pressure. He got a whack actually as he did so and needed treament but was fit enough to play on. United continued to knock it about well but Ipswich had a few openings also. Both teams moved it around well and it was a good game. Parkhouse was proving a real handful for United as he led the line well with his strenght and running and Hallam was getting in little pockets too causing issues in a number 10 sort of role.

After the break United continued to play the better stuff and Hallam was at the fore - one move led to a half chance that Oure nearly got on the end of. A few other neat moves just were squeezed out at the final part of the play but finally after Hallam brok down the left he squared to find Oure who swept home with his left foot. Binnion took great pleasure in telling him what happened when he used his left foot (not his strongest) after dithering and opting not to trust it a few minutes earlier after a good run.

After this United had a few other half chances and kept the ball well. Eastwood made one good save from a free kick but Ipswich got one back after a scramble and he same lad Morris hooked home. United saw out time fairly comfortably and held on to win the first game of the season.

I will not rate players but give a brief run down of what I saw from SUFC u23's - many of these are quite young and inexperienced with the likes of Semple, Graham, Slater, Gilmour and Smith out on loan which would be half the u23 teams if they were here.

Goalkeeper
Eastwood - Solid, little chance on both goals and a couple of decent saves. Looks to get ball out and kick it flat to propel out attacks early

Defence
Gordon - No idea he was Tyler Smith's brother. Looks very raw and made a few mistakes (got booked for a rugby tackle) but kept at it and had no idea he was only 16 - one to look out for as he always looked to use it when he could
Cantrill - Played left back for the u18s when I saw him but has filled out. Solid game despite getting a knock. He was the heart of the defence
Ferguson - He had an up and down game. Defended ok but his distribution was poor today. Very athletic and tall lad though.

Wing backs/Midfield
Sheppeard - Not best of starts but slowly started to get on it more and had a hand in some of attacking moved
Boyes - Struggled to get in the game at first but then when he had chance was involved in some decent moves

Midfield
Doherty - Always been impressed with him. Good passing midfielder who keeps it simple. Probably needs a loan like Sl;ayter and Gilmour to aid his development
York - They seem to like him as has captained the side a few times recently - tidy player who gets up and down.Came in from Fulham in the summer who released him. He actually started his career at Grimsby I think before Fulham signed him.
Oure - Came from France a few years ago - he is a bit of an X factor. At times he switches off or the game passes him by but lots of talent and showed it with is goal and some good runs second half. Played on the right of midfield in the first half and then switched to the left second half.

Strikers
Hallam - Actually came off the front quite a bit but was the outstanding player on the field. His control, touch and passing was very good. He also was able to link with the midfield well and combined too with Parkhouse. A player that lacks pace and maybe strength but is a really good footballer. He is 20 in a couple of months. For me he could definitely play at maybe League 2 if he could get a loan but again not sure he has pinned down a position; midfield, a 10 or a striker. One who I can see making a career in the game as a clever player but maybe the missing attributes will stop it being the top level.
Parkhouse - Not sure I have been that impressed with him when I have seen him before but he was excellent today. He caused all sort of problems with his bustling, hold up and running. Scored and had a few other half chances. Really was a battering ram and showed a decent touch too.

Subs
Brunt - Came on for Parkhouse. Not sure he got that involved
Not sure if there was another sub - went to the toilet just before the end before I departed into the rain - was bright sunshine when the game started!

Interesting seeing numerous scouts/coaches in the stands (saw Jamie Hoyland - now at Everton) scribbling notes. I suppose our record and indeed Ipswich's, makes it a good one to have a look. There was noone who you thought 'Wow!' but then did MAguire, Walker or Jagielka do that when I saw them at 16/17? Probably not. However, there is certainly some players that will make a living in the game and too early to see if any can/will come through. Was good to watch though and a shame they play the games at 2pm as it normally precludes me from getting to games.

----
As an aside prior to this I had watched the first half at Middlewood between Wednesday and Millwall u23's at 12pm before I headed up to Bracken Moor. The standard was nowhere near as good. Wednesay were beating (and indeed beat 1-0) a very poor Millwall side. There was a marked improvement in the 2nd game with both teams individually and collectively better.