+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Match Thread vs. Middlesbrough [Carabao Cup] 14/08/18

I doubt we'll struggle towards the bottom of the table for long, but with the backing of the chairman and the numbers coming in through the gate and on the back of what was achieved in 2017, haging around 8th-14th would simply not be good enough. You can never guarantee a promotion but Notts really should be in the mix at this level.

I like Nolan and hope he can get things going again, the general pattern of the way managerial appointments play-out however suggests that Notts are ultimately going to be forced into making a change if they want to make the next step up. Everybody has a dodgy run but we're literally now talking half a season of bottom-half, bordering on bottom third form. That cannot be allowed to continue into this campaign for long if Hardy is serious about promotion.

I wouldn't be calling for Nolan's head yet but I think it's perfectly reasonable to call for an immediate improvement. Last night may be an indication that it's about to happen, but it absolutely does have to happen in the league, especially with the away games at Lincoln and Exteter coming up.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I doubt we'll struggle towards the bottom of the table for long, but with the backing of the chairman and the numbers coming in through the gate and on the back of what was achieved in 2017, haging around 8th-14th would simply not be good enough. You can never guarantee a promotion but Notts really should be in the mix at this level.

I like Nolan and hope he can get things going again, the general pattern of the way managerial appointments play-out however suggests that Notts are ultimately going to be forced into making a change if they want to make the next step up. Everybody has a dodgy run but we're literally now talking half a season of bottom-half, bordering on bottom third form. That cannot be allowed to continue into this campaign for long if Hardy is serious about promotion.

I wouldn't be calling for Nolan's head yet but I think it's perfectly reasonable to call for an immediate improvement. Last night may be an indication that it's about to happen, but it absolutely does have to happen in the league, especially with the away games at Lincoln and Exteter coming up.
    My main worry is that we have the fire power but we do not have the defence. Dan Jones doesn't cut it as a left back but we don't have anyone actually pushing him for a spot, I know we have Kellet but he wants to be in midfield. I'd argue that we are defensively weaker even though we haven't changed much.

Jones has regressed even further, he know no one is going to take his place, Brisley seems smack out of form and Duffy hasn't stopped his diving. Tootle is the only one who I have no worries over but he only lasted 60 minutes on Saturday against Cambridge and his back up has a broken leg. The keeper is weaker as well, Collin wasn't great, but he was better than Fitzsimons.

If we can get in a loan goalie, and either try Bird or a new left back I'll be happy as I think Hall will be a starter when he's fit. Midfield I think we have the players after last night, think Crawford will be our new Yates, and he'll only get better alongside Vaughan and Husin (who I suspect will rotate). It just needs Nolan to see this and act, something I don't think he's capable of to be fair. I'm not saying we need a new manager, but Nolan needs to learn to act faster, his subs are always far too late, it's something he needs to work on

The goals (and penalties) from last night:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...3-notts-county

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The goals (and penalties) from last night:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...3-notts-county
    The defending for their first goal is a joke and Fitz is about as much use as a chocolate teapot for that and the second goal.

Jon Stead is also a mile offside for his second goal, no idea how the linesman has missed that unless he thought Kellett (14) put the rebound in and had his view obscured?

Quote Originally Posted by DelroyFacey22 View Post
    The defending for their first goal is a joke and Fitz is about as much use as a chocolate teapot for that and the second goal.

Jon Stead is also a mile offside for his second goal, no idea how the linesman has missed that unless he thought Kellett (14) put the rebound in and had his view obscured?
    Our keeper does not inspire me with confidence.

He really doesn't command his area does he? Seems to be waiting for his defence to sort everything out.

Fitzsimons isn't the answer, no where near commanding enough. Their third goal could have been cut out by Hewitt had he been able to tackle and then not wrong footed, Brisley could have done better as well as the goalie.

Interesting to see how fast the ball went in to Stead for our second. Was it Crawford or Kellet who pinged it to Stead straight away after getting it from Husin? We dilly dally too much and that was a refreshing change

We miss Collin in net, Fitz looks like a liability.

But Fitz looked exactly the same on crosses last season and managed to get away with it because he made a few good saves and everyone seemed to remember him as an absolute world beater. I'd take Adam Collin over him any day.

Interesting debate....

No, wasn't drunk last night - just very disappointed. Not with the nights effort - although we do have to remember it was only 'Boro's reserve / youth team - but the previous games.

I think it's all the expectation of - for once - being favourites for promotion. I was kinda anticipating a start like during the infamous/famous "Munto" season (Notts 5 - 0 Bradford). Also, perceived rivals - Lincoln, Exeter, Slags have started like they mean serious business.

Maybe we will come good. Who knows? At the moment it looks like we are going to concede 3 or 4 goals per game. It does not take a genius to work out that makes things very difficult.

Let's get a 1-0 Friday nightl & take it from there.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415