+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wigan Athletic Post Match Thoughts

At Leeds I would keep vyner n mattock at fullback.
    stick Robertson alongside wood or ajayi at CB and play vaulkes, Palmer n wiles in the middle. Williams on the left. Forde on the right. Smudge uptop on his own...
    Keep it tight,
    we have plenty of options to change like for like if anyone tires (except CM)

Didn't go, though Proctor the man of the match for me, on the grounds of getting a brace on his official comeback, and sounds as though he is a realistic attacking option. By reports, and those who have been, have been impressed by Wiles, but I'm not sure if he is ready to be a regular CM in the championship. Still think we need at least one for Central midfield, and a bit more defensive cover. We are stronger in attack than 2 seasons ago.

Proctors not ready yet in my opinion. Two goals is giving you a false perspective. Hes as rusty as hell and half a stone over. But, hes on the road to recovery, and thats to be celebrated. Another half dozen reserve games and then we're talking...

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    Proctors not ready yet in my opinion. Two goals is giving you a false perspective. Hes as rusty as hell and half a stone over. But, hes on the road to recovery, and thats to be celebrated. Another half dozen reserve games and then we're talking...
    Half dozen reserve games?

They hardly play, and when they do it’s basically a youth team standard.

He won’t get fit that way.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedtruth View Post
    Half dozen reserve games?

They hardly play, and when they do it’s basically a youth team standard.

He won’t get fit that way.
    Well thanks to today he will have another Cup game to get in shape.

I didn’t go but by sounds of what’s been said proctor Robertson and raggett still need some special care from warne (people keep saying they ran out of gas after 70 mins) second ajayi can play in midfield if he’s given midfield training.

Yes an extra game as you say, but the reserve system is poor for getting players match fit.

We need match situations where we can bring them on for the last 30mins or so, however I can’t see where we would ever be that comfortable.

Draw for League Cup Round 2 is 7pm on Sky tomorrow (Thurs)

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post
    I think Wiles could be a really good player you know, there's no reason he can't challenge either of those two, on tonights showing, he played well tonight in spite of covering his two midfield partners who don't play that position and often were out of position.
    Agree - Wiles should start on Sat along with Williams ,maybe Semi in front of back four with Forde on the right not left(which should include Ragget and Robertson)then perm any one from the rubbish left with Vassal on his own up front .However I fear Warne will stick with the same team as Sat but if he does it will be a massacre.

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    Did you actually go to the match,because that's not the way I saw it and your comments are uncalled for,it's encouragement he needs not things like rusty and overweight,which he certainly isn't,or are you on a wind-up.

I agree with MMM that Ajayi isn't a midfielder (he can't pass for a start) but I think Warne may have tried him there last night with a view to playing him in that position on Saturday. His pace could be useful to try to limit Saiz's effectiveness in midfield.
    Proctor will be like a new signing when he's fully fit and he and Smith will be a real handful for some Championship defences.
    Wiles looked a real prospect although he tired a bit after 70 minutes. He looked as good as either of the current first choice central midfielders though and I wouldn't be too worried if he got a starting place if we don't bring anybody in on loan before Saturday.
    Raggett and Robertson were pretty solid and had to work hard to protect our lead in the last 20 minutes.
    I'm not convinced by Vyner yet and no end of crosses came in from his side in the last quarter of the game. I'd much rather have Emmanuel at right back if we could get him on loan again.
    Jones did ok at left back but looked a bit rusty at times. He got more protection from Forde than he would have done if Newell had been on the left.
    The game felt like a pre-season friendly to be honest but we looked pretty comfortable overall without playing particularly well.
    Round 2 here we come......nosebleed territory 😊

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast