+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wigan Athletic Post Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    I was talking lastnight to a few of the guests who had been last season and they wondered why Taylor was on the bench as they thought he was one of the better players..
    I said imo league one was his level ATM cos coaches and players are a bit smarter in the championship he's getting found out and is looking the weak link
    I mentioned about him coming inside to cover for the midfield which leaves the fullback exposed like in the Brentford game.. sure enough he did exact same thing last night. Didn't mattock look poor early last season with Taylor Infront?
    If Taylor is the problem I can blame him.. it's the managers job to sort the problem not the fullback. As you have said before warne knows more about football than anyone on here. Let's see how he sorts it .
    Taylor is doing his best to prove he's not Championship standard and never seems to have enough influence on the game to justify being selected.
    I don't think Forde is Championship standard either but I would pick him ahead of Taylor every time because he does track back and help his full back. Also he's probably the best deliverer of a dead ball of anyone in the squad.
    Ray Houghton, former Liverpool midfielder who is now on TalkSport Radio is always banging on about it being the responsibility of the players on the pitch to sort problems out and not always rely on the manager to change things.
    Presumably Vyner has a tongue in his head and should be screaming at Taylor to get back and cover him.
    As far as I can see the only way Warne will sort it out is to pick Forde and drop Taylor.

Quote Originally Posted by dmentor View Post
    I am far from being an expert on football,but that team looked decent to me last night,the young lad Wiles does look a very good prospect,he never looked out of place at all,great to see Procter playing again,when him and Keiffer Moore played together,they were a right handful,so with the other two big lads we have got,i am sure they will cause a lot of problems for some teams,all the new signings did nothing wrong,in my opinion,yes they tiered a bit towards the end,but all in all,i came away very happy.
    Totally agree with that D. I thought that, given the last year out, and the nature of his injury, Proctor was excellent. Less than two minutes after scoring his first he was back in defence clearing. His heart and head are in this football club and that, to me, is priceless.

Is it Taylor to blame or the management though?

Has he been given a free role?

For me if he stuck to the job he should be doing then he would be first on sheet

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Is it Taylor to blame or the management though?

Has he been given a free role?

For me if he stuck to the job he should be doing then he would be first on sheet
    He's too easily knocked off the ball, just like David Ball is.
    Also his dead ball delivery is dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    He's too easily knocked off the ball, just like David Ball is.
    Also his dead ball delivery is dreadful.
    Lot of balls in there 😊

Houghton played in a different type and time of game
    the players we idolised/watched in ore 90% would be lucky to get into a championship side nemind play at the top level...
    As millertop says. Without knowing what he's been asked to do! Has he been asked to tuck in? I'm guessing he's been asked to do it or warne would have rectified it..

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Lot of balls in there 😊
    As my Mrs says. You can never have too many balls 😃

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    As my Mrs says. You can never have too many balls 😃
    Unless one’s called Ed.

Back to the original points, regarding Taylor.

Both Warne and Barker were forwards, neither will have any first hand experience of coaching a winger in defensive duties.

Taylor is say 5 foot 10 and about 11 stone? Hardly set up to throw his weight about is he?

Playing Smith up front there’s a tendency to supply the ball to him from the wings. If Taylor does this it leaves a massive gap behind him for opposition to exploit. Not really his fault but a weakness in how Warne sets the team up.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234