+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wigan Athletic Post Match Thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by hotun View Post
    Did you actually go to the match,because that's not the way I saw it and your comments are uncalled for,it's encouragement he needs not things like rusty and overweight,which he certainly isn't,or are you on a wind-up.
    I am far from being an expert on football,but that team looked decent to me last night,the young lad Wiles does look a very good prospect,he never looked out of place at all,great to see Procter playing again,when him and Keiffer Moore played together,they were a right handful,so with the other two big lads we have got,i am sure they will cause a lot of problems for some teams,all the new signings did nothing wrong,in my opinion,yes they tiered a bit towards the end,but all in all,i came away very happy.

Shame Price let one in but he did well tonight
    Good to see Proctor get some game but he is nowhere near ready for 90+ mins, maybe have him on bench and give him 10-20 mins when possible
    It gave some game time and Warney a chance to see how they perform
    Wiles did ok and no I wouldn’t put him on against Leeds
    Ajayi did ok but I’d prefer him in his original position

We were nowhere near great, can’t pass a ball down the line without it going out, no need to kick the Ball from defence up front to nobody or straight to their keeper
    What’s happened to Forde? too many mistakes for me lately, hopefully he improves or he will definitely lose his place

Ball won’t get his place in the starting line up either from what I’ve seen (well he shouldn’t)

Still we are in the next round
    Draw on Thursday (sky)

Sponsors MOTM Proctor
    Mine would have been Price
    Last edited by millertop; 15-08-2018 at 08:58 AM.

After 3 rounds

Half Fulls 2 Half Empties 1

Positives out of the game was Proctor getting goals, this will have given him confidence in his comeback.

My ears are still ringing from the rousing atmosphere last night..
    If we're being honest it wasn't a great performance, Wigan had us on the back foot for long stretches of the game and I dare say that wasn't wigan's strongest 11. Nor was it ours either, but the result papers over the fact we were sloppy with our passing. We played our best football in the last 10 minutes. That said, we finished our chances and that's what counts.
    There were lots of positives aside from the result. Price had a great game IMO, Wiles looks the part, Proctor is back, Ajayi had another good game, Vyner looks every bit a proper Championship player and a win is good for confidence and morale.
    We need to stop starting games like a little mouse peeping out of its hole and come out battling like we did for most of last season.
    Ps. The big screen is well and truly shagged

I've watched the highlights and it seemed as though Wigan played in a similar way to last season. They put some good crosses in from on the angle of our box.

I agree with Hazza regarding Vyner. Again watching the extended highlights from the Ipswich game he was very very good especially in the first half. A good replacement for emanuel.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I'm not convinced by Vyner yet and no end of crosses came in from his side in the last quarter of the game. I'd much rather have Emmanuel at right back if we could get him on loan again.
    Didn't Taylor come on for the last quarter of the game?. Vyner was Double teamed just like the Brentford game. Plus Emmanuel had Williams or forde Infront of him most of last season not Taylor...

That's true but you can't just blame the wingers all the time. I've said elsewhere that Vyner gets more protection when Forde plays.
    At the end of the day a full back's job is to stop crosses going in and if he feels he's not getting enough help he needs to sort out whoever is in front of him.

I was talking lastnight to a few of the guests who had been last season and they wondered why Taylor was on the bench as they thought he was one of the better players..
    I said imo league one was his level ATM cos coaches and players are a bit smarter in the championship he's getting found out and is looking the weak link
    I mentioned about him coming inside to cover for the midfield which leaves the fullback exposed like in the Brentford game.. sure enough he did exact same thing last night. Didn't mattock look poor early last season with Taylor Infront?
    If Taylor is the problem I can blame him.. it's the managers job to sort the problem not the fullback. As you have said before warne knows more about football than anyone on here. Let's see how he sorts it .

To be fair to you both there's no cut and dried answer, if we want to be an attacking force then regardless of where the wingers are if we lose the ball we're gunna be vulnerable against good teams, there's gunna be spaces for them to exploit. For me it's more a matter of football intelligence of each and every player who plays, and their knowledge and awareness of the possibilites in both defence and attack.

Easy to write, difficult to attain...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast