+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: M5 Roadworks at Oldbury

M5 Roadworks at Oldbury

Apparently due to the hot weather the M5 roadworks is now going to take 6 months longer! So that’s 2 years in all.
    Question to those who know about these things?
    Would it not have been more efficient to just close the dammed thing, divert the traffic and completely demolish and build a nice new modern road instead.

Option 1) As above lots of crawling traffic in that area, for 6-9 months but a road that would last 40 years.

Option2) As chosen, two years of slow traffic and a patched up road that will in all likelihood need another overall in less than 5 years.

It seems to me that these kind of maintenance works only ever cause disruption in the UK. I often read articles of those who have visited Europe and its been a journey without any roadwork incident, until they arrive back in the UK that is. In fact when I recently visited Paris it was a trouble free motorway run from Paris to Calais. As soon as I hit the UK from the ferry I was caught in a huge queue on the M20 followed by 40mph speed restrictions on the M25, took me flippin hours to get home. Motorway driving today is an absolute pain and it rarely gets any different in all the years I've driven on em.

Quote Originally Posted by wbaliquidator View Post
    Apparently due to the hot weather the M5 roadworks is now going to take 6 months longer! So that’s 2 years in all.
    Question to those who know about these things?
    Would it not have been more efficient to just close the dammed thing, divert the traffic and completely demolish and build a nice new modern road instead.

Option 1) As above lots of crawling traffic in that area, for 6-9 months but a road that would last 40 years.

Option2) As chosen, two years of slow traffic and a patched up road that will in all likelihood need another overall in less than 5 years.

Let’s all move to Genoa where they don’t give a fk about maintenance shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    It seems to me that these kind of maintenance works only ever cause disruption in the UK. I often read articles of those who have visited Europe and its been a journey without any roadwork incident, until they arrive back in the UK that is. In fact when I recently visited Paris it was a trouble free motorway run from Paris to Calais. As soon as I hit the UK from the ferry I was caught in a huge queue on the M20 followed by 40mph speed restrictions on the M25, took me flippin hours to get home. Motorway driving today is an absolute pain and it rarely gets any different in all the years I've driven on em.
    Whether it's transport, education, police or health I do get annoyed by this constant knocking of everything British

On a midweek day in April I drove to from Luxemburg to Munich a journey my SatNav told me should take 6 hours on the famed German Autobahns. It took me nearly 10. The roads were congested, roadworks everywhere, service stations awful.

The French Autoroutes are lovely but as it costs best part of 100 euros to get from Calais to the Med they should be. I spent 16 hours one Saurday in July on them to do 400 miles. My advice never travel on them during les grandes vacances. Heard the story of the billions spent on French trains that were too big for the majority of their platforms?

I'd rather they take the extra 6 months and get it right than we end up with an Italian Job.

My point is that we should have scrapped it and built a new one. Too many short term fixes. Lets face it the 60’s was not a good era for construction was it. It’s not fit for purpose with the amount of traffic on our roads.
    The Italian engineers had suggested that they should also demolish the Genoa bridge and build a new one as the ongoing maintenance costs were scandalous.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    It seems to me that these kind of maintenance works only ever cause disruption in the UK. I often read articles of those who have visited Europe and its been a journey without any roadwork incident, until they arrive back in the UK that is.
    Having formerly lived in Germany for four years I can assure you that Europe has it's share of disruption due to motorway maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by wbaliquidator View Post
    My point is that we should have scrapped it and built a new one. Too many short term fixes. Lets face it the 60’s was not a good era for construction was it. It’s not fit for purpose with the amount of traffic on our roads.
    The Italian engineers had suggested that they should also demolish the Genoa bridge and build a new one as the ongoing maintenance costs were scandalous.
    Don't think anyone is arguing the build a new one or fix the existing certainly not me as I am in no way qualified to. Are you? What is palbably untrue is to state it is a problem unique to the UK.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)