+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT - Omagh 20 years on

OT - Omagh 20 years on

20 years and the perpetrators are still free. Why? Surely UK intelligence or the police can at least come up with proper suspects at the very least..

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    20 years and the perpetrators are still free. Why? Surely UK intelligence or the police can at least come up with proper suspects at the very least..
    Of course they know who did it.
    But to arrest and trial them would put the Irish agreement in peril. So terrorists get away with it.
    Mean while, paratroopers in their pensioner years have been hounded through the courts by ambulance chasers.
    Corbyn will love that though. Nothing like a good terrorist for a best mate.

Oh dear! Photoshopped pics of him with terrorists. Reports of him laying a wreath on the graves of Munich terrorists in Tunisia.......... when all 8 of them are buried in Libya....

Facts will never comnvince some people that Corbyn isn't the terrorists best friend.

Not gonna get into argument about Corbyn. Heard and watched some of the families speak. Very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Oh dear! Photoshopped pics of him with terrorists. Reports of him laying a wreath on the graves of Munich terrorists in Tunisia.......... when all 8 of them are buried in Libya....

Facts will never comnvince some people that Corbyn isn't the terrorists best friend.
    Some have an agenda which has an extraordinary disregard for facts MA.

I’m sure they know who did it. I’m equally sure I’d be absolutely gutted if I’d been related to any of the victims and knew the perpetrator/s was/were still walking around freely...but how many lives have been saved by the agreement - and some of it’s unpalatable conditions - in the last twenty years?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Some have an agenda which has an extraordinary disregard for facts MA.

I’m sure they know who did it. I’m equally sure I’d be absolutely gutted if I’d been related to any of the victims and knew the perpetrator/s was/were still walking around freely...but how many lives have been saved by the agreement - and some of it’s unpalatable conditions - in the last twenty years?
    If the terrorists are protected by the Good Friday Agreement then, IMHO, so should the soldiers be.

If the terrorists are protected by the Good Friday Agreement then, IMHO, so should the soldiers be.
    Agreed 100%

It all stinks, murderers shouldn't be allowed to roam free!

When you are basically at war, as we were with the IRA and you want the indiscriminate bombing to stop, you come to an agreement, sign it and abide by it.

Many people are now of the opinion that part of the agreement excludes identifying, arresting and prosecuting former "para-military" members for murder is a part of that deal. If it is included and it was a "line in the sand" for the terrorists then you can argue whether or not the government should have signed it in the first place. However, if they decided that it was an acceptable clause in order to get peace then they should have ensured that soldiers were also included. If they didn't include them they were either unwitting or stupid. Take your pick.

I agree, murderers, from both sides shouldn't walk free. I was only following orders was not an acceptable defence at Nuremburg and shouldn't be now either. However, if there is an agreed amnesty, then it should apply to both sides. In effect, IRA murderers were also önly following orders".

Chase both sides or neither.

When you are basically at war, as we were with the IRA and you want the indiscriminate bombing to stop, you come to an agreement, sign it and abide by it.

Many people are now of the opinion that part of the agreement excludes identifying, arresting and prosecuting former "para-military" members for murder is a part of that deal. If it is included and it was a "line in the sand" for the terrorists then you can argue whether or not the government should have signed it in the first place. However, if they decided that it was an acceptable clause in order to get peace then they should have ensured that soldiers were also included. If they didn't include them they were either unwitting or stupid. Take your pick.

I agree, murderers, from both sides shouldn't walk free. I was only following orders was not an acceptable defence at Nuremburg and shouldn't be now either. However, if there is an agreed amnesty, then it should apply to both sides. In effect, IRA murderers were also önly following orders".

Chase both sides or neither.
    Okay...I’ll put my tin hat on...can already feel the hatred...but...
    Aren’t soldiers/the armed forces meant to be a force for good and acting on behalf of the state as distinct from ‘terrorists’ who are enemies of the state who indulge in indiscriminate murder...and therefore shouldn’t they be judged differently?

How great is the difference between the indiscriminate murder practised by terrorists in places like Omagh, Manchester, Birmingham and Warrington...and the indiscriminate killing of civilians during the ‘legitimate’ bombing campaigns in far away places we are unable to identify with and have difficulty pronouncing.

Before someone accuses me of being an apologist for terrorists...I’m not...I’m just suggesting the whole matter is much more complex than we imagine and there are no easy answers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)