+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Queens v St Johnstone

Quote Originally Posted by Spikefaethesouth View Post
    I agree that it was probably missing season ticket holders which were responsible for the lower crowd but why they cannot fork out for a cup game against higher league opposition I will never know as it certainly did not cross my mind at any stage. Thought Queens were excellent and can hold their heads high after that performance but as also pointed out they did just begin to tire in extra time and with such a weak bench could not make telling substitutions when it was really required. Needs to be addressed as we have all commented upon over the last few weeks.

iv always said this and will sound like a broken record lol ,queens have a board of directors that have prob taking queens as far as they can unless they suddenly decide to invest personal money into queens then i cant see much change for the better happening ,the way i see it if your in control of a football club and you take them as far as you can you should think about maybe stepping aside and find new directors that can take us to the next level ,not having a dig at our current board here ,just stating the obvious ,thay have done a great job getting us where we are but a time comes when you cant progress forward and therefor i think some new blood might be the only way to do this .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    iv always said this and will sound like a broken record lol ,queens have a board of directors that have prob taking queens as far as they can unless they suddenly decide to invest personal money into queens then i cant see much change for the better happening ,the way i see it if your in control of a football club and you take them as far as you can you should think about maybe stepping aside and find new directors that can take us to the next level ,not having a dig at our current board here ,just stating the obvious ,thay have done a great job getting us where we are but a time comes when you cant progress forward and therefor i think some new blood might be the only way to do this .

Like who exactly ?

I’m pretty sure they’ve all already invested plenty of their own personal money.

I agree with Scooby Doo, - which sounds like I'm completely demented....answers on a post card please!

He is completely correct though, - the directors have parted with vast personal fortunes, - what else can they do?

Some people would not be happy even the board of directors resorted to self flaggelation from the top of the East Stand, - preferably in a howling gale!

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    I agree with Scooby Doo, - which sounds like I'm completely demented....answers on a post card please!

He is completely correct though, - the directors have parted with vast personal fortunes, - what else can they do?

Some people would not be happy even the board of directors resorted to self flaggelation from the top of the East Stand, - preferably in a howling gale!

some of youlot are fickle ,iv done nothing in my comment but praise what the current board have done for queens ,but there comes a time when thay can do no more ,and by both scoobys and jardis comments thay are currently at that point ,so whats the alternative ,1. we try to get through our great centenary year with a thread bare squad and hope for the best injuries stay away or 2. start thinking out the box to get the club moving forward .

sorry about the fickle but i get a tad annoyed with negativity ,i want to come up with ideas that result in queens moving in a forward direction ,i do think our current first 11 will have no probs staying clear of relegation ,but 1 or 2 key injuries and we are heading down a extremely slippery slope ,there needs to be 2 or 3 experienced players added to the squad come hell or highwater .

OK Francis, I understand your enthusiasm, - we all have it or we wouldn't be Queens fans. The reality is that there is no easy fix and simply throwing money at the problem does not guarantee success....if that were the case The NHS would be world beating.

You made a very sensible point and that is thinking outside the box. Now that type of thinking doesn't mean that solutions will be discovered either, - it takes time to come up with new and radical ideas and even more time for them to be tried and tested.

Looking at how Queens have performed this season we have two really classy players in Dobbs and Harkins and we have discovered a couple of gems in Doyle and Stirling. Our wing backs Mercer and Marshall are now both causing great problems for teams and Mercer has really come on to a game, - and then we have some great work horses in Jacobs and Dykes, - so effectively we've got a damn good squad, - with quite a few players which any Championship Club would give their eye teeth for, - and a few SPL clubs as well!

The only problem (as I see it) is that we need three decent squad players who can give us a bit of depth to cover for injuries and suspensions and there is no point in waiting until mid November before realising that they should have been brought in before the window slams shut.

So without thinking outside the box and without spending huge sums of money on players who might not get a game anyway, - it would be prudent to be looking at bringing in 3 fresh faces, who can cover for the aforementioned injuries and suspensions and can push the present squad for competition.

Effectively, therefore, 3 players who are desperate for a job and hungry to impress, - but not players who are going to pose problems with the clubs cash flow.

With those players in place, - I reckon we'll do quite well this season and with two cups still up for grabs, - there's plenty to get excited about.

Quote Originally Posted by jardi View Post
    OK Francis, I understand your enthusiasm, - we all have it or we wouldn't be Queens fans. The reality is that there is no easy fix and simply throwing money at the problem does not guarantee success....if that were the case The NHS would be world beating.

You made a very sensible point and that is thinking outside the box. Now that type of thinking doesn't mean that solutions will be discovered either, - it takes time to come up with new and radical ideas and even more time for them to be tried and tested.

Looking at how Queens have performed this season we have two really classy players in Dobbs and Harkins and we have discovered a couple of gems in Doyle and Stirling. Our wing backs Mercer and Marshall are now both causing great problems for teams and Mercer has really come on to a game, - and then we have some great work horses in Jacobs and Dykes, - so effectively we've got a damn good squad, - with quite a few players which any Championship Club would give their eye teeth for, - and a few SPL clubs as well!

The only problem (as I see it) is that we need three decent squad players who can give us a bit of depth to cover for injuries and suspensions and there is no point in waiting until mid November before realising that they should have been brought in before the window slams shut.

So without thinking outside the box and without spending huge sums of money on players who might not get a game anyway, - it would be prudent to be looking at bringing in 3 fresh faces, who can cover for the aforementioned injuries and suspensions and can push the present squad for competition.

Effectively, therefore, 3 players who are desperate for a job and hungry to impress, - but not players who are going to pose problems with the clubs cash flow.

With those players in place, - I reckon we'll do quite well this season and with two cups still up for grabs, - there's plenty to get excited about.

yep jardi canny argue with that ,but there is also another prob resulting in the thread bare squad is we will have an injury spell at some point of the season all teams do and it could result in total disaster ,as the squad is currently thread bar with the reason being the crowds dropping off over the last few season ,well i dont think queens can afford another season of crowds dropping ,for me there comes to a point when a gamble needs to be taken by the board or whoever it may concern ,id rather see us adding to the squad now knowing that it will no doubt result in a financial loss at end of season unless we get a big team away in a cup or something ,id rather take the loss now than waiting and praying we get through ,better being safe than sorry .

as if we hang around the bottom of the league fighting for survival the crowds will drop right of a cliff .
    Last edited by Francis_begbie_HFC; 21-08-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Fan base is rubbish as well. We max out at about 1600 when things are going great. First sniff at a bad result and they disappear into the hills.
    Difficult to pump money into the cause like that.
    Definitely need two or three players though as it's going to see us unnecessarely struggle. Small squad depth arguably cost us this game.

Seems everyone’s in agreement that we’re a few backup players short. Wasn’t at the game but as soon as I saw it was going to extra time I thought “Ah well....”. Surely there must be some out there with the necessary skills and experience who would put in a shift for not too much money?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)