+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 at the back

Bielsa is a very clever coach wherever he has been he’s used an unconventional 3 3 3 1 system but for whatever reason has been using Roofe up front on his own but is supported by runners like Sais Alioski and Hernandez.They play a standard back 4 and Philips tends to drop on to their centre halves and they start from there we need to put someone on Philips because it’s him that supplies the better players further up so we need to cut of the supply. Thinking someone like Taylor who could be the proverbial pain in the arse buzzing round their central defence and if a mistakes made can use his pace for that reason would go
    Rodak
    Vyner Raggett Wood Mattock
    Ajayi
    Palmer Vaulks Wiles
    Taylor
    Smith

Just my opinion know loads won’t like it

Quote Originally Posted by Archiemiller View Post
    Thats solved it then Animal...9 across back and 1 up top, thanks for your input.
    It's worth pointing out too archie that Southgate pretty much has to work with what he's got available to him , he can't buy anyone and so came up with that system so he could get his young and pacy players all in there , Lingard , Sterling and Ali who he clearly felt could hurt teams .

He couldn't have done that playing a traditional back four so he deserves credit for getting the best out of what he had .

He had a plan before the tournament started and he stuck with it .

The season's already started for Rotherham , pre season's come and gone and the transfer windows shut .

Big ask to change the system with the above factors in play .

Lingard , Sterling and Ali who he clearly felt could hurt teams .

Well he got that wrong then

Mellow has it in one agree with that

Quite true Millerstale, but you lot always went home with your tales between your legs.
    Monkwood,Archie all they have got is a cemetery.

3 at the back is ok if you dominate possession. Problem is if you dont have the ball for long period the wing backs get pegged back deep - it becomes a back 5 and difficult to get the wing backs up the pitch when you counter attack - like we saw second half vs Croatia. Good defensive system if opposition play through the middle but you only have one player out on each flank and can get slaughtered out wide.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolmorgan View Post
    Monkwood,Archie all they have got is a cemetery.
    Yes but it’s in the dead centre of Rawmarsh !

Anyway what would a left back know about team formations ?

You only got to play there if you were the worst player in the team ! It was a punishment if you had done something wrong, even the little kids who used to hang around in the hope of getting a game with us in the Park refused to play there !

There was nothing worse that trying to lump that soggy ball 50yds up field with your left foot when it was normally used just for standing on,

Thinking back can’t understand why I got so many games there ? ⚽️ 💧🐂 hehaw

Quote Originally Posted by caytonmiller View Post
    Not for me Archie. No goals in that team.. Smith plays better with a playing partner. Midfield is too slow to help a loan striker we have all the wrong players to go with 3 at the back.. if like mellow said. We get a couple of CM then it could work though if we had two good CM would we need to play 351?

From the squad we have and if everyone is fit
    442 would be a balanced side though only for home games or Vs sides who are in poor form
    Rodak.
    Vyner
    Robertson
    Ajayi
    Mattock
    Forde
    Vaulks
    Palmer
    Williams
    Smith
    Vassell

Away from home i would go 451 I'm swapping vassell for Jones. (Potter if available)

If I had a chance to bring in 2 loan players they would be a creative cm, a Nolan type player and a defencive MF like the lad I've mentioned before from scunny. Ojo
    Loan striker, read it again cayton no mention of a loan striker from me.

Quote Originally Posted by MILLERSTALE View Post
    Yes but it’s in the dead centre of Rawmarsh !

Anyway what would a left back know about team formations ?

You only got to play there if you were the worst player in the team ! It was a punishment if you had done something wrong, even the little kids who used to hang around in the hope of getting a game with us in the Park refused to play there !

There was nothing worse that trying to lump that soggy ball 50yds up field with your left foot when it was normally used just for standing on,

Thinking back can’t understand why I got so many games there ? ⚽️ ���� hehaw
    You know very well Milllerstale i was the only 2 footed player in the team, kicked the ball with mi left and kicked arse with other.

Loan striker, read it again cayton no mention of a loan striker from me.
    So you want play 352? Did England really play with 2 strikers? Hmmmmm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12