+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The season ahead and beyond

The season ahead and beyond

As all teams and supporters do Promotion is the dream however what is realistic and if the dream is achieved where would it leave us?

Realistically I see a disappointing season, something is wrong within the club. Pitman unfit and disinterested, Chaplin driven out, a squad lacking quality in a very tight division. A relegation battle more likely than a genuine promotion push.

Even if promotion were to be achieved could Pompey make any sort of impression against the like of Leeds and the cash laden exprem teams?

Your thoughts please people of non specific gender or orientation?

Unfortunately I think KJ isn't right for the players. They seem to want to play for the club and fans but not him. After we won L2 there was a sense of teamwork - but then Cook left and KJ came in and seemed to want to stamp his own way on things. Bringing in Pitman and making him Captain straight away must've upset a lot of players. I can't think of a replacement at the moment, but unless some drastic changes happen I think it's needed if we want promotion this season.

You may have a point, after 3 games we're still only 8 points above the relegation spots

Well 6 games in and so far so good in fact very good. First impressions of the new signings are very promising all seems rosy at FP.

Looking at the games won 3 out of the current bottom 4 and highest placed Luton. So none of the big guns faced so far. Saturdays game will be interesting, Shrewsbury with 3 draws and one goal defeats to Bradford Charlton and Luton so maybe not the walk over that might be expected. Following that the first acid test, big spending Peterboro, come out of those two games undefeated and expectations will soar.

Fantastic start and drastic things have happened - dropping Pitman being the main one for me. Great to see Lowe getting back on form. I get the impression from interviews some players need their wings clipped every so often to remind them it's a team game. And apparently the training's improved according to KJ the other week.

PUP

Drastic things have happened indeed, two massive about turns for starters.
    KJ is not right for the club, something is wrong within the club, a relegation battle is ahead.
    Oh hang on 8 games in, the acid test v PBoro behind us, 20 points and top of the pile.
    Not going too shabbily, maybe Kenny knows a thing or two after all.

Glad to see sarcasm is alive and kicking sd...

Dramatic changes indeed, several quality signings for starters since the OP.

No mention of the Shrewsbury game? I think I called that one about right.

Next challenge the spoilers from Wycombe always a pain to play against, probably more so with Akinfenwa leading the line.
    I rate that guy, misunderstood in the same way as Emil Hesky by many but it will be interesting to see how our so far rock solid defence deals with the beast.

So onwards and upwards it seems, long may it last.

Shame you didn't give any reasons to back KJ in your replies SD.

Things have changed and they're what I thought were needed. Pitman was made a talisman by making him Captain as soon as he was bought in - that was wrong as I think we could've done better last season. There was a team here that won L2 and I think it should've been given a chance to prove itself in L1. That was what I was saying.

Well kiddie winks, top of the league and looking good.

Have to say i'm pleasantly surprised, possibly the best start to a season in my extremely long lifetime.

It's hard to criticize anything or anyone, long may it last.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)