+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brexit could damage football

Brexit could damage football

Some of the worst fear mongering yet because Brexit could actually save English football, imports from Europe and elsewhere are weakening the national team and destroying the fans' links to their local clubs.

Foreign owners, foreigner managers, foreign players, you might as well play abroad, and that is what is going to happen, games played in places like China and Dubai as part of the regular season.

I'm guessing the Alistair Campbell link is the reason for this garbage?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45206066

It would be interesting to see how the more successful international sides/countries structure their top league in terms of overseas investment and player quotas of national/overseas players. I don't know enough about what happens, for example, in the Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A or Ligue 1

Our top league will change, but how and the wider impact - one guess is as good/valid as another right now

It’s about time we put a cap on how many can come over here and play, it’s an absolute joke, we need to produce our own players especially when it comes to the England squad.

Take Man City (chose them because they won Prem title, hope they don’t again)
    Opening game away, starting line up had 3 English players in, bench had 1.
    The management/coaching are all Spanish apart from 1 English.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    I'm guessing the Alistair Campbell link is the reason for this garbage?
    No. It's because successful businessmen who run football clubs actually know what they're talking about.

That you think Alistair Campbell has something to do with this story is hilarious and tells a lot about your understanding of things.

Sounds like you don't know Alistair Campbell!

Foreign players have no doubt improved skill levels in English football.

But I'd like local kids to still have a chance to play for their local clubs and that is rapidly turning into a pipe dream.

Brexit may damage some things but football most definitely isn't one.
    Last edited by great_fire; 16-08-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Like with all sectors, Brexit will affect Football in this country. Almost certainly there will be some positive changes and some negative changes, the overall picture remains to be seen. I am much more concerned about how the government is going to deal with WTO tariffs than I am about Football.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Foreign players have no doubt improved skill levels in English football.

But I'd like local kids to still have a chance to play for their local clubs and that is rapidly turning into a pipe dream.

Brexit may damage some things but football most definitely isn't one.
    That's subjective, you make the point yourself limiting international access will lower the standard of British football.

If you go to watch football and get excited that the player is from Bolton rather than Bosnia even if their passing isn't as good, you'll favour limiting access.

I happen to not give a crap where a player is from. I like to see homegrown players do well, but I think the solution is improving grass roots coaching and opportunities so they can achieve their best and compete against the best, rather than just making it easier for them with a less competitive pool.

If we're limiting the talent for giving others a go, I propose a ban limiting all players younger than their 30s who can't program in at least 2 languages... give myself a shot at living my pipe dream.

we should also ban all non-UK countries from entering the world cup.

Average fall in the pound since referendum is probably 15%. Ie £1.5m in every £10m for overseas signings. The likely knock on is to have an inflationary effect on domestic players too. Maybe why Warne said the market has gone crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by tony260674 View Post
    Like with all sectors, Brexit will affect Football in this country. Almost certainly there will be some positive changes and some negative changes, the overall picture remains to be seen. I am much more concerned about how the government is going to deal with WTO tariffs than I am about Football.
    Absolutely.

This has got to be a thread destined for Frogmiller's axe

Bin it before it attracts even more of the usual moaners and complainers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast