+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two greats ( Madonna & Aretha ) and a strange symmetry.

Two greats ( Madonna & Aretha ) and a strange symmetry.

The queen of pop and the queen of soul without any question.

Two iconic music stars and Aretha dies on Madonna's 60th birthday,it's almost like the one couldn't bare the other one having the headlines on that day!

Aretha sold 75 million records,Madonna has sold over 300,000 million records......staggering figures.

I loved Madonna from the moment i heard "Borderline" back in 1983.

Although Aretha wasn't someone i'd actually go out of my way to listen to,her "Say a little prayer for me" is one of my all time favourite pieces of music and reminds me of being a nipper back in the 60's.

There are stars and then there are real STARS .........performers who might be in the same industry but who are so far ahead of the competition that it's astounding.

The "Messi" and "Ronaldo" of the music world.

How spooky that their stars should collide in such a way on that day.

I actually don't understand what's special about Madonna. Nothing special and vastly overrated (imo).

Not and never have been a great fan of soul music,there are a few tunes I like and singers like Otis reading and marvin gaye who I can listen to in a modicum of doses,but as a female vocalist its dusty and mama Cass all the way for me.Aretha could sing though I'll give you that,just the wrong genre for me

Quote Originally Posted by WBA53 View Post
    Not and never have been a great fan of soul music,there are a few tunes I like and singers like Otis reading and marvin gaye who I can listen to in a modicum of doses,but as a female vocalist its dusty and mama Cass all the way for me.Aretha could sing though I'll give you that,just the wrong genre for me
    Ditto

They're playing non-stop Soul this morning on Radio Cornwall and I've had to switch it off. I like Stevie Wonder if you call him 'Soul', but that's it, though I love Blues.
    Soul's a bit ****y-bopperish for me, something you grow out of in your ****s, but each to their own. Aretha was best of her kind, and I'm not knocking her.

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    Ditto

They're playing non-stop Soul this morning on Radio Cornwall and I've had to switch it off. I like Stevie Wonder if you call him 'Soul', but that's it, though I love Blues.
    Soul's a bit ****y-bopperish for me, something you grow out of in your ****s, but each to their own. Aretha was best of her kind, and I'm not knocking her.
    Thing is for me a ****ager of the 60s soul and Motown wasn't a reflection of the music in great quantity going around at the time in this country.much preferring the British beat group style which was in total abundance on the tranny of my youth

Ah. Well I used to go up Town in late 60s, and Soul was all they played in the discos!

They had Blues/Progressive music at LeMetro, then Mothers, which was trendier and much more to my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by talkSAFT View Post
    Ah. Well I used to go up Town in late 60s, and Soul was all they played in the discos!

They had Blues/Progressive music at LeMetro, then Mothers, which was trendier and much more to my liking.

I'm into Something Good by Hermans Hermits was a great little number in 1965 and was adopted by Roland when he saw the pound signs at West Brom FC. Roland than took the tune - Can't Help Myself - by the Four Tops before getting his mits on that 27 million!

Marvin Gaye alias Mark Jenkins "heard it through the grapevine" when there was a black hole .........

Quote Originally Posted by WBA53 View Post
    Thing is for me a ****ager of the 60s soul and Motown wasn't a reflection of the music in great quantity going around at the time in this country.much preferring the British beat group style which was in total abundance on the tranny of my youth
    Humbly beg to disagree. I too was a 60’s ****ager. And for a very short period approx 65-68 ‘soul’ was massively important. This coincided with the emergence of Stax/Atlantic and Tamla Motown. It was never the same after the death of Otis Redding and although labelled ‘soul’ has consistently been grim. I love all sorts but at that particular time the Stax/Atlantic tours were special.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    I'm into Something Good by Hermans Hermits was a great little number in 1965 and was adopted by Roland when he saw the pound signs at West Brom FC. Roland than took the tune - Can't Help Myself - by the Four Tops before getting his mits on that 27 million!

Marvin Gaye alias Mark Jenkins "heard it through the grapevine" when there was a black hole .........
    Couldn't agree more, Uriah.

Yesterday was also the anniversary of the death of Elvis Presley, so the Queen of Soul died on the same date as the King of Rock & Roll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)