+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Quite simply unacceptable

An absolute shambles of a performance and I’m struggling to remember when I last saw one which was worse. The back four were bad enough but the lack of defensive cover in front of them was a big factor too. In League 2, you simply can’t manage without that. Too many creative players and not enough steel - the balance of this side is all wrong. Some urgent activity in the loan market is needed before the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    I don't know what match you are watching if you think Enzo is clueless? He is the one who looks dangerous when we attack.
    Thomas creative??????
    Hi first touch is woeful, he just runs in straight lines and is a liability defensively. He's lazy and unfit, how that is acceptable at this level god knows. The defence is terrible but we need grafters in front of them as well. Thomas is the most creative player we've got Enzio is just an athlete

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    An absolute shambles of a performance and I’m struggling to remember when I last saw one which was worse. The back four were bad enough but the lack of defensive cover in front of them was a big factor too. In League 2, you simply can’t manage without that. Too many creative players and not enough steel - the balance of this side is all wrong. Some urgent activity in the loan market is needed before the deadline.
    Yeovil ended up having 25 efforts on goal, which is just ridiculous. The third goal showed how weak we are - far too easy for them to play from the back and then for the centre forward to run in behind and slot home (his first career hat trick in 11 years!).

The balance of the team is a disaster. It was obvious in pre-season we lacked a ball-winner in the middle of the park and someone who can drive forward and close the vast gap between midfield and the front two. This wasn’t addressed.

It also seems clear now that we can’t play two wingers who don’t work hard off the ball (Thomas is clearly talented but drifts out of games for long spells; Enzio veers between the brilliant - his goal at Cambridge; and the inept - his inability to control a ball at various points of a game), or two central strikers when neither of them is a target man. Shola had zero pace, but he drew fouls and could hold the ball up. Hemmings and Dennis do neither as well (both have also missed absolute sitters in all of the games - Dennis was lucky his latest miss in front of a gaping goal was flagged offside). Or two full backs who can’t get stop crosses coming in. Or two centre halves who are repeatedly bullied by average League 2 forwards. What I would have given for Yeovil’s two no-nonsense centre backs.

The list of problems is a very long one. Nolan has signed a bunch of lightweight players who seem incapable of competing at this level. Last night was a horror show, but the warning signs have been there for a while (including pre-season, we have now conceded four goals in four of our last five home games). We have spent a lot of money in pursuit of a more entertaining side, but have neglected the basics. Reminds me of the Moniz season in League 2 - and we all know how that ended.

Quote Originally Posted by roweyp View Post
    Hi first touch is woeful, he just runs in straight lines and is a liability defensively. He's lazy and unfit, how that is acceptable at this level god knows. The defence is terrible but we need grafters in front of them as well. Thomas is the most creative player we've got Enzio is just an athlete
    So is he lazy and unfit or an athlete?

Quote Originally Posted by kill_the_drum View Post
    So is he lazy and unfit or an athlete?
    He's lazy, unfit but a sprinter. Their wingers were far superior to him tonight.

Not a single positive tonight. The back five should be sacked and replaced immediately as the have no interest in defending. We have signed two strikers that can't finish, enzio is clueless, unfit and lazy. Then Nolan takes off our most creative player in Thomas! Even Nolan lost the plot
    No positives? I would suggest 20 minutes of cohesive attacking football, played at pace and mostly in the Yeovil half was a positive improvement on last year. Meadow Lane was rocking (for league 2), 7000+ fans on a Friday night.
    And then we had to defend!!!
    Having seen the goals again on Sky it is evident Hewitt (as a defender) is the weakest link in a chain that is long due for an overhaul.
    Collectively the defending was so poor I am still bemused how all four defenders remained on the pitch throughout. Surely this was an opportunity to give Bird a try? Brisley who I thought was excellent last season runs as if in permanent pain, Jones has no spatial awareness whatsoever and Duffy is a centre half who can't jump and has no pace. I would agree that there needs to be some screening from the midfield but when our defenders need to defend they appear incapable.
    No positives? I disagree, having hit rock bottom the re is only one way to go.

Not a single positive tonight. The back five should be sacked and replaced immediately as the have no interest in defending. We have signed two strikers that can't finish, enzio is clueless, unfit and lazy. Then Nolan takes off our most creative player in Thomas! Even Nolan lost the plot
    Not to sure on the unfit bit mate but I agree on the other 2. In the 4 games I have seen him he's failed to impress me at all and before I have Enzio's army on me back, I'm well aware it's early days. Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to be shouting his name from the rooftops in a couple of weeks time.

Quote Originally Posted by centenarypie View Post
    no positives? I would suggest 20 minutes of cohesive attacking football, played at pace and mostly in the yeovil half was a positive improvement on last year. Meadow lane was rocking (for league 2), 7000+ fans on a friday night.
    Having seen the goals again on sky it is evident hewitt (as a defender) is the weakest link in a chain that is long due for an overhaul.
    Collectively the defending was so poor i am still bemused how all four defenders remained on the pitch throughout. Surely this was an opportunity to give bird a try? Brisley who i thought was excellent last season runs as if in permanent pain, jones has no spatial awareness whatsoever and duffy is a centre half who can't jump and has no pace. I would agree that there needs to be some screening from the midfield but when our defenders need to defend they appear incapable.
    No positives? I disagree, having hit rock bottom there is only one way to go.
    Down ???
    Last edited by karl wheatly; 18-08-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: bee koz

Quote Originally Posted by centenarypie View Post
    No positives? I would suggest 20 minutes of cohesive attacking football, played at pace and mostly in the Yeovil half was a positive improvement on last year. Meadow Lane was rocking (for league 2), 7000+ fans on a Friday night.
    Having seen the goals again on Sky it is evident Hewitt (as a defender) is the weakest link in a chain that is long due for an overhaul.
    Collectively the defending was so poor I am still bemused how all four defenders remained on the pitch throughout. Surely this was an opportunity to give Bird a try? Brisley who I thought was excellent last season runs as if in permanent pain, Jones has no spatial awareness whatsoever and Duffy is a centre half who can't jump and has no pace. I would agree that there needs to be some screening from the midfield but when our defenders need to defend they appear incapable.
    No positives? I disagree, having hit rock bottom the re is only one way to go.
    We are not quite rock bottom yet even with just 1 point from 9. As it stands we are 21st.

Morecambe, Cheltenham, and Macclesfield have failed to pick up a single point in their first three games.

Onwards and upwards as someone used to say.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    We are not quite rock bottom yet even with just 1 point from 9. As it stands we are 21st.

Morecambe, Cheltenham, and Macclesfield have failed to pick up a single point in their first three games.

Onwards and upwards as someone used to say.
    Man without ball - find space and keep moving.
    Man with ball - look for man in space and pass ball to him accurately.
    Why am I not a football manager?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast