+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nolan or Hardy to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I agree and I've just said similar on another thread. Without Ryan Yates we can't continue with the 4-4-2 tactics because we haven't got two midfielders robust enough to do the job and it's leaving the defence horribly exposed. We need to go to three in central midfield, two of whom must be primarily defensive. Vaughan played in front of the back four for Forest, sparing his legs, breaking up moves and spraying passes around as he can do, while Hewitt showed last season he can do the 'dirty' midfield role well, so they would be two of the prime candidates to sit, with the likes of Husin or Patching or Crawford given the more creative licence.
    Both of you are spot on the way I see it. I always look at the team that got us promoted in the Munto season to see the balance.

Where is our 18/19 equivalent of Bishop and Ravenhill in midfield? You need those spoilers and players that get stuck in. As you say Jackal a midfield of Hewitt and Vaughan may go someway to addressing this.

It seems we have on paper a bunch of individuals that the sum is less than the parts.

My concern is now we will shut up shop and put men behind the ball and become too defensive in an attempt to stop the leaking of so many goals. This may mean we won’t see as much creativity in the next two away games. I’d take two points from Newport and Lincoln at the moment.

In response to the o/p I feel sorry for Alan Hardy. He’s put the money on the table and backed the manager. Likewise I’m also gutted for KN because it’s not working. They do care immensely and will be hurting.

We just need to try and get this squad to work somehow.
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 18-08-2018 at 07:14 AM.

We have also played two weak teams at home and have yet to score so let's be honest that end of the pitch isn't working either.

This is Hardys first major test.
    He’s invested in the players Nolan has asked for making us one of the favourites for the league, and at the moment Nolan doesn’t seem to have a balanced squad of players that look like performing like a team.
    For me it’s Nolan who needs to up his game, and quick. This isn’t a cr@p squad of players!

I worry that he seems to think this squad of players can turn it around, I can't see that defensive 5 being anywhere near good enough. We conceded 6 goals in four days then still picked the same defenders and seem surprised when we concede 4 last night? We need Tootle and Hall back fit ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    For those asking for a Vaughan and Husin midfield... tonight has proven IT WONT work. EVER.
    It is obvious to anyone with an ounce of footballing knowledge that we need a grafter, someone with physicality, someone who can do the ‘horrible side of the game’. If we make just one more signing this has to be it.
    This. When I saw the line up with Husin and Vaughan in midfield with Hewitt at left back I thought god help us. How can't Nolan see that when we lost a really combative midfielder last season we were worse then all pre season he signs ball player after ball player. Then we've known for what is it now five, six or seven seasons we've needed a decent couple of centre backs, no nonsense, strong and intimidating to the opposition and do we EVER sign them? No of course not. Then we all know last season Jones couldn't defend and yet there he is again. I thought at the very least Nolan would know how to set up a team to be solid, combative and resilient yet look at us.

He needs to stop trying to shoehorn people into the team to avoid upsetting them, they get paid so if they have to be on the bench then that's where they'll have to be, if they kick off then they can sit in the stand. Honestly a few more results like this then Nolan can do one, can you imagine for example Cotterill with the money Nolan has had in this position? I can't see it myself.

Not Hardys fault, people just don't like his ego but he's done the business for us this pre season and is being let down by Nolan and the players. We need two loan defenders or get Hall (when fit) and COC in and get a keeper who commands the area and doesn't make the defenders infront of him uncertain as they're crap enough without that. Sort it out Nolan.

I don't think blame is the thing that's needed right now. It rarely is. If fans seriously think that KN and AH won't be angrier than us about last night's performance they are deluded IMHO. What's needed is, as always, for the fans to rally round and get behind the team and the club while this is sorted, which it will be if KN and AH are who I think they are. I'd be very surprised indeed if there were no loan signings or free agents signed this coming week, but if not that will mean they genuinely believe it's a matter of fine tuning and gelling the existing squad.

I'm not going to panic three games in, regardless of last night's embarrassing debacle. They happen. Let's hope last night was our 2018/19 version of Coventry away on the first day of last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    No, the defence wasn't good enough last season, this is the problem with statistics. We were always weak when it was left to the defence. We defended as a team, an entire unit, you can't do that with this team, creative attacking players don't really have that string to their bow. In that case, we need some properly good defenders in.
    Sadly I think this is true, but unless we can get a couple of quality loan signings in pretty quickly, we'll have to work with what we've got and bolster the midfield numbers-wise to provide the defenders with more cover. The one player who might have come out of last night feeling more positive is Pierce Bird, because the current 'experienced' centre-halves are doing nothing to suggest that giving Bird a start would be any more of a risk! I haven't really seen him play yet, but who knows, he could be a hidden gem!
    Last edited by jackal2; 18-08-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12