+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RUFC Hall of Fame

RUFC Hall of Fame

Cam mentioned this on the Barry Chuckle thread. Clubs like Brentford, Sutton Utd, Greensborough(?), Barnsley and many others have a Hall of Fame. The Millers should start one and invite the Rotherham public to nominate ex-players, managers, club officials and supporters. Usually players/managers have to have been retired for 5 years. Apologies if this has been covered on MM before.

So many players could be in it.

Frecklington for me.

My first few names would be Reg Freeman, Wally Ardron, Danny Williams, Ronnie Moore, Paul Hurst. I'd probably add Albert Bennett and Dave Watson but as you say there are loads who could stake a good claim. The club should consider it as it would imo spark some interest and publicity.

My team to go in would be

Clarke
    Forest, Stancliff, Macca ,Breckin
    Towner, Raggy, Talbot, Buckley
    Goater, Mendonca

Clarke's a controversial choice. I can't decide between Roy Ironside, Roy Tunks, Seamus McDonagh and Mike Pollitt.

Far too many to name.
    Richard finney Gerry Gow. Towner. Ronny.Forest.
    Seasman. Could keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Clarke's a controversial choice. I can't decide between Roy Ironside, Roy Tunks, Seamus McDonagh and Mike Pollitt.
    We've had that many good keepers and it makes it hard to choose.

Clarkes first game was full of errors but how he grew. Watching him go on to play so high in the league was great.

Great keeper Clarke. I think his first game was at Rochdale in the cup and he had a nightmare. What a keeper he became.

The photographs of players alongside part of the stadium is sort of a Hall of Fame. Some great players in that lot with more to come hopefully.

Mellow, having said that where in the stadium could this hall of fame be kept?

Secondly, how many of these players should be allowed to be chosen and put on view per year?

Many many players to be discussed. How about Authur Wharton? Although he signed for Rotherham Town in 1889 he never played for United and didn't make that good an impression as he was the landlord of the Albert Tavern by 1891. A lot has been focused on him being widely recognised as the first ever black professional footballer. Would this be a reason for him to be considered?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast