+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RUFC Hall of Fame

It's always an interesting debate and even from the lists above it's plain to see we have many good/favourite players but do they really warrant hall of fame inclusion? For example, Paul Hurst. A tidy player with many appearances probably wouldn't make it in my book as he didn't break Danny Williams' record who I would have in there for his playing and managerial accomplishments. However, if PH goes on to managerial heights, even at other clubs, would that swing the vote to put him in the RUFC HOF? Would Nigel Jemson go in there for his part in our first Wembley win despite the fact he was never a RUFC player? Would Revell or Wood for their parts in our other Wembley triumphs?

If you only had 3 picks from your time following RUFC who would they be? Mine are

Ronnie Moore
    Derek Dalton
    Gerry Somerton

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    It's always an interesting debate and even from the lists above it's plain to see we have many good/favourite players but do they really warrant hall of fame inclusion? For example, Paul Hurst. A tidy player with many appearances probably wouldn't make it in my book as he didn't break Danny Williams' record who I would have in there for his playing and managerial accomplishments. However, if PH goes on to managerial heights, even at other clubs, would that swing the vote to put him in the RUFC HOF? Would Nigel Jemson go in there for his part in our first Wembley win despite the fact he was never a RUFC player? Would Revell or Wood for their parts in our other Wembley triumphs?

If you only had 3 picks from your time following RUFC who would they be? Mine are

Ronnie Moore
    Derek Dalton
    Gerry Somerton
    Point taken. I mistakenly had Hursty down as most league appearances which is why I included him. However, HOF can be quite inclusive and I reckon that 438 appearances and a playing career with the Millers would qualify him. Derek Dalton and Ronnie are shoe-ins. Gerry Somerton I hadn't considered but thinking about it you must be right to include him.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post

Ronnie Moore
    Derek Dalton
    Gerry Somerton
    What about Zippy? Hasn't missed a game for donkeys years has he?

Impossible to just pick 3 so I'm not going to bother but I will pick one who should be in any football related HOF and not just in Rotherhams.

Derek Dalton

Quote Originally Posted by monty_rhodes View Post
    Frog, I have nothing against naked and don't particularly object to multis (although I take your point about the impact on trust) but I don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to spot similarities between naked and certain other posters. What I don't understand is why people bother. True, I did come on here as Rod Kemp but I kept my IP address knowing full well Cam would spot it straight off. It was meant as a joke and meant to be detected.
    Did you believe in the bogeyman when you were just a kid?

Is there a skeleton in your cupboard?

Do you think you’re being followed?

Do you believe aliens have landed?

Whatever, but in my case you’re looking for something that doesn’t exist.
    Last edited by nakedtruth; 18-08-2018 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    Please tell me that you're being serious.

Yes, completely serious.

Players come and go and get paid very well for it.

Non-players though that have made their mark at RUFC tend to have done the job for many years, often under pressure and often not paid that well.

For example Dave Nichols who had to “sell” Millmoor and attract sponsors to what was a decrepit cow barn with minimal facilities.

Guys like him are the real heroes

We bang on about T/S saving the Millers what about Mark Robins working under pressure, points deducted, no wages,we could have been playing Non league football for the first time in our history.

Quote Originally Posted by pip_y View Post
    #4 from froggie
    Missed it. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    Impossible to just pick 3 so I'm not going to bother but I will pick one who should be in any football related HOF and not just in Rotherhams.

Derek Dalton
    He was actually the first Rotherham United player I ever heard of, but turned out not to be a player.

Three standout players for me. Gladstone Guest, Danny Williams, Jack Grainger. All stars that could have moved on for more fame and fortune, but devoted their playing careers to thr Millers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast